Published on October 23, 2014
1. FUNDRAISING IN A COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT WMA Annual Meeting. Las Vegas October 2014
2. FUNDRAISING IN A COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT Background and history of the Nordic Heritage Museum ·Founding in 1979 ·Early mission: Immigration, experience, and cultural traditions ·Founding Executive Director 1980: From all-volunteer corps to budget of $800K ·The constituency — Passion for legacy ·Capital Campaign - From old school building to new facilities (2017)
3. FUNDRAISING IN A COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT Leadership transition ·Mandate for growth ·Build budget and capacity ·Professionalize staff ·Raise $65M for new facility
4. FUNDRAISING IN A COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT Challenges ·Recession and economic downturn from 2008 ·Major regional funders: Shifted giving interests away from bricks and mortar ·Competing interests within existing constituent group ·Constituents: Limited orientation towards philanthropy ·Nordic cultural identity - Perceived value, and need for support
5. FUNDRAISING IN A COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT Strategies for growth ·Confirm institutional relevance: Re-Examining the mission and vision ·Develop a rolling 5-year strategic plan ·Restructure staff to increase capacity ·Focus programs on community relevance and mission ·Enhance awareness and broaden support
6. FUNDRAISING IN A COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT Successes ·Budget Growth (2007: $800K to 2014: $1.7M) ·Advancing the Capital Campaign (2007: $7.5M to 2014: $28.6M) ·Staff (2007: 13 FTE’s to 2014: 22 FTE’s) ·Volunteers (2007: 270 to 2014: 444)
7. FUNDRAISING IN A COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT Take Away: ·Adaptability - It’s OK to change course ·Risk – Roll the dice ·Relevance – Broaden the audience
8. FUNDRAISING IN A COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT
Graduate Fundraising in an Increasingly Competitive Environment Steven W. Matson Dean, the Graduate School. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Competitive environment, ... in relation to fundraising were also market ... environment characterised by “competitive reward ...
Fundraising in a competitive environment? Posted on June 17, 2013 by Dan. ... A reminder: Fundraising mail still rocks … ...
We always think about fundraising strategies in terms of the external environment. Here are some questions to consider as you look at your internal ...
Donations from individuals and businesses provide critical support for museums and their programs. However, reaching donors grows increasingly more ...
In the competitive environment of NGO fundraising, understanding where you’ll get the best return on investment—based on understanding what ...
Fundraising Competition—How Stiff Is It? Fundraising. by Hub Staff. ... Fundraising in a competitive environment? [happy donors] NP Hub Thanks Our Sponsors.
MIE 2016 National Fundraising Conference. ... Receive, and improve the skills we need for successful fundraising in today’s competitive environment.