Published on June 21, 2007
Focus Teacher Leaders TEACHnology Focus Leaders Day 2 Prayer ‘Future’s Child’
Between Session Reading
What is Social Software? Software that supports group interaction Social software is about bringing minds and ideas into contact with each other. Relies heavily on reflection and feedback
Does Learning Change in a Information Society? How do we adapt the curriculum to meet the needs of our students?
Day One Stage 4 Teachers
Action Research • is participatory, collaborative research which typically arises from the clariﬁcation of some concerns generally shared by a group • Source: Kemmis, S. & McTaggart, R. (Eds) The Action Research Planner, Third Edition. Geelong: Deakin University Press, pp 22–25.
Action Research • is an approach to improving education by changing it and learning from the consequences of changes.
• People describe their concerns, explore what others think, and probe to ﬁnd what it might be possible to do. Action Research • Source: Kemmis, S. & McTaggart, R. (Eds) The Action Research Planner, Third Edition. Geelong: Deakin University Press, pp 22–25.
Action Research • develops through the spiral of cycles of – planning – acting (implementing plans) – observing (systematically) – reﬂecting and then – re-planning – further implementation – observing
• One good way to begin an action research project is to collect some initial data in an area of general interest (a reconnaissance), then to reﬂect, and then to make a plan for changes action • Another way to begin is to make an exploratory change, collect data of what happens, reﬂect, and then build more reﬁned plans for action. •
• Action research.............. • is open-minded about what counts as evidence (or data) • involves keeping records which describe what is happening as accurately as possible (given the particular questions being investigated and the real-life circumstances of collecting the data) • involves collecting and analysing our own judgements, reactions and impressions about
• Action research involves keeping a personal journal in which we record our learnings about: – the practices we are studying (how our practices are developing) and our learnings – about the process (the practice) of studying them (how our action research project is going)
• Action research involves people in making critical analyses of the situations (classrooms, schools or systems) in which they work
Networks Social of interest bookmarking Categorise Store resources Classify by user Share defined Search tags Catholic Education Office, Wollongong – Learning Services – SM - 24/05/2007
Why del.icio.us? Find your bookmarks online anywhere in the world (not computer specific) Collaboration & sharing Tags- Unlike folders you may create as many as you want. View as a list or as a cloud Catholic Education Office, Wollongong – Learning Services – SM - 2007
Don’t have an account Let’s create one! Catholic Education Office, Wollongong – Learning Services – SM - 2007
http://del.icio.us/ Catholic Education Office, Wollongong – Learning Services – SM - 2007
Try this Del.icio.us Activities Create a del.icio.us account Explore “help” and “settings” Add “bookmarklets” (buttons) to your browser Search the web for sites to bookmark- “describe” and “tag” sites Add Cynthia (cmccammon) to your network Explore Cynthia’s bookmarks to find the the one’s indicated. Catholic Education Office, Wollongong – Learning Services – SM - 2007
What kind of young people do we want to raise?
LEARNING Activity Where have we been and where are we going?
tive ribu ist D hip er s ead L
Soaking up the accumulated wisdom, facts and understandings Absorbing of elders Learning Fashioning new understandings instead of accepting and memorising ideas of others
Teaching Focuses on the actions of the teacher transmitting and conveying contents to students Learning Focuses energy on how teachers are orchestrating the questioning, thinking and discovering of students
ased Brain B rning Lea
Critical thinking & questioning Critical thinking Critical Critical questioning reﬂection ….are crucial to effective learning
We must raise young ones to question … to wonder… and to learn … Jamie McKenzie Jamie McKenzie
Too often we give our children answers to remember rather than problems to solve. Roger Lewin
Question Evaluation Response
Question Why? Do you agree? Can you elaborate? Question Response Can you give me an example? Could you summarise X’s point? encourages further student thinking
del.icio.us TEACHnology leaders
Activity • With your partner explore each of the websites under the ‘leaders’ tag. • Make judgements about: • Relevance of information to your setting • Quality of website • Locate & post at least one other site to del.icio.us about one of the topics
What does this mean for 1:1?
Feedback Report back about your activity and the implications for the classroom
walking the line..
Leading Change from the Classroom: Teachers as Leaders ... making and focus on improvement as ... several occasions over the course of the ...
Browse Courses. PD In Focus. ... Ten Roles for Teacher Leaders. ... Teacher leaders assume a wide range of roles to support school and student success.
Courses; Browse by Category ... Nov. Teacher Leader - Guidebooks 2.0: ... Guidebooks 2.0 Handout 2: Download: Nov Teacher Leader - Teacher Guide to PARCC ...
This book explores writing as a means to focus ... teachers live it every day: ... speed and course of the initiative. Teacher leaders like ...
Focus Education is a leading organisation ... Teacher Profile; OTrack; Focus Rewards; Courses; ... be high on the priority list of school leaders.
Challenges of Leadership in Teams. ... Day 2 Challenge 5 ... She is also a senior lecturer at the Sloan School of Management where she teaches courses on ...
Training courses for school staff, ... Subject Leader; Subject Teacher; Teaching Assistant; ... Focus Area. A Level;
Executive Leadership Summit Course Outline: FOCUS: ... Great Leaders, Great Team, Great Results Course Outline: ... Presentation Advantage 2 Day Course ...
Archery Leaders provides professional archery training by top UK coach for GNAS archery leader courses, ... expert' archery teacher ... 2.5 day course: ...