Published on October 18, 2016
1. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIAL March 4, 2010Aﬀect Strategies FLASH FIRES: Crisis Communications in the Age of Now Sandra Fathi President, Aﬀect Email: sfathi@aﬀect.com tweet: @sandrafathi web: aﬀect.com blog: techaﬀect.com Tri-State District Conference, Communications Week October 18, 2016
2. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIAL OCTOBER 18, 2016Aﬀect SANDRA FATHI BIO Founder and president of Aﬀect, a public relations and social media ﬁrm specializing in technology, healthcare and professional services o Board Member, PR Council o Board Member, PRSA-NY o Past Tri-State District Chair, PRSA o Past President, PRSA-NY Chapter o Past President, PRSA Technology Section sfathi@aﬀect.com @sandrafathi
3. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect CRISIS WORK SAMPLE EXPERIENCE o Hurricane Sandy, Hurricane Irene (ConEd) o Worker Strike, Manhole Cover Explosion, Building Explosion (ConEd) o Hit & Run (By Company Employee) o Sexual Harassment and Executive Misconduct (By CEO) o Executive Arrest for DUI o Terrorist Activity Interrupts Operations (Tech Company) o Foreign Maﬁa Threats on Executives o Employee Kidnapping/Release by Militia (EDS) OCTOBER 18, 2016
4. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect CORE CONCEPTS CRISIS COMMUNICATIONS 4 Phases of Crisis Communications 1. Readiness 2. Response 3. Reassurance 4. Recovery OCTOBER 18, 2016
5. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect CORE CONCEPTS CRISIS COMMUNICATIONS 4 Phases of Crisis Communications 1. Readiness 2. Response 3. Reassurance 4. Recovery In the Age of Now – These Phases Happen Simultaneously OCTOBER 18, 2016
6. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect DECISION FLOW CHART ANATOMY OF A CRISIS OCTOBER 18, 2016 Good News? Yes: Stop No: Continue Factually Correct Yes: Stop No: Continue Can We Inﬂuence? No: Stop Yes: Continue Engage & Respond
7. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect ANYTIME, ANYWHERE WHEN CRISIS STRIKES OCTOBER 18, 2016
8. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect ANYTIME, ANYWHERE WHEN CRISIS STRIKES OCTOBER 18, 2016
9. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect PHASE 1: READINESS PREVENTATIVE MEDICINE Anticipating a Crisis 1. Crisis Mapping (SWOT Analysis) 2. Policies and Procedures (Prevention) 3. Crisis Monitoring 4. Crisis Communications Plan 5. Crisis Action Plan 6. Crisis Standard Communications Template OCTOBER 18, 2016
10. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect THREAT MAPPING RISK ASSESSMENT Internal • Employees • Facilities • Vendors/Suppliers • Distributors/Resellers • Product External • Acts of Nature • Market • Legal Restrictions/Law • Customers • Advocacy Groups Anticipating & Understanding Threats to a Business People, Products, Facilities, Environment OCTOBER 18, 2016
11. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect CRISIS COMMUNICATIONS ANTICIPATING THREATS Create A Chart: Potential Threats to Your Business People Products/ Services Facilities/ Operations Environment Rank Order High Risk to Low Risk OCTOBER 18, 2016
12. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect PHASE 2: RESPONSE SPEED & AGILITY How long before the shit hits the fan? General guidelines: 1. Twitter - Minutes 2. Facebook – Couple of hours 3. Blog – Up to a day 4. Broadcast – Few hours 5. Print (Local/Industry) - 1-2 Days 6. Print (National) - Up to a few hours Every Crisis is Diﬀerent: The Rule Is, There Are No Rules OCTOBER 18, 2016
13. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect SOCIAL MEDIA - FB DELTA – BLACK DOCTOR DISCRIMINATION OCTOBER 18, 2016
14. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect MAINSTREAM MEDIA DELTA – BLACK DOCTOR DISCRIMINATION First reported on October 9th OCTOBER 18, 2016
15. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect MAINSTREAM MEDIA DELTA – BLACK DOCTOR DISCRIMINATION OCTOBER 18, 2016
16. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect DELTA RESPONDS – 5 DAYS LATER OCTOBER 18, 2016
17. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect SOCIAL MEDIA KEEPS STORY ALIVE OCTOBER 18, 2016
18. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect CRISIS TOOLKIT RESPONSE RESOURCES 1. Develop materials: • Messages/FAQ • Prepared statements • Press release template • Customer letters 2. Train employees • Awareness • Anticipation • Organizational Preparation 3. Prepare channels: • Hotline • Dark site • Social Media OCTOBER 18, 2016
19. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect SLOW BURN CRISIS MYLAN EPIPEN OCTOBER 18, 2016
20. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect SLOW BURN CRISIS MYLAN EPIPEN OCTOBER 18, 2016
21. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect TWEETSTORM – A YEAR LATER MYLAN EPIPEN OCTOBER 18, 2016
22. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect IMMEDIATE ACTION BEST PRACTICES Preparing a Response 1. Don’t delay 2. Acknowledge situation 3. Acknowledge impact and ‘victims’ 4. Commit to investigate 5. Commit to sharing information and cooperation with relevant parties 6. Share corrective action plan if available 7. Respond in the format in which the crisis was received** OCTOBER 18, 2016
23. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect RESPONSE OUTLINE CRITICAL INFORMATION Prepare a Template Crisis Response: 1. What happened? 2. What do we know about it? 3. Who/what was impacted? 4. How do we feel about it? (How should we feel?) 5. What are we going to do about it? 6. When are we going to do it? 7. When/how will we communicate next? OCTOBER 18, 2016
24. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect SAMSUNG RECALL HOW DID WE GET HERE OCTOBER 18, 2016
25. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect SAMSUNG TIMELINE GALAXY NOTE 7 Aug 7 – Samsun unveils Galaxy Note 7 Aug 19 – Galaxy Note 7 selling in 10 markets (including US) Aug 24 – Report of Note 7 explosion in South Korea Sept 2 – Samsung recalls 2.5 million Note 7 phones citing faulty batteries Sept 8 – FAA advises passengers not to turn on or charge Note 7 on an aircraft or storw in cargo Sept 9 - US Consumer Product Safety Commission urges users to stop using their phone Sept 15 – US Consumer Product Safety Commission formally recalls 1M Note 7 phones Sept 16 – Florida man sues Samsung for burns from Note 7 explosion Sept 19 Samsung starts Note 7 exchange program in South Korea OCTOBER 18, 2016
26. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect SAMSUNG TIMELINE GALAXY NOTE 7 October 9 – AT&T, T-Mobile halt issuing new Note 7 due to safety concerns October 10 – Samsung says it’s adjusting Note 7 shipments for inspections, quality control due to more phones catching ﬁre. October 11 – Samsung permanently halts sales and production of Note 7 phones and asks customers to stop using the phones as it investigates reports of ﬁres in new devices October 15 – FAA Issues Emergency Order Banning Note 7 cellphones on Aircraft OCTOBER 18, 2016
27. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect SAMSUNG RESPONSE CAN YOU FIND IT OCTOBER 18, 2016
28. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect SAMSUNG RESPONSE CAN YOU FIND IT OCTOBER 18, 2016
29. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect PHASE 3: REASSURANCE DOSE OF MEDICINE Who to Reassure? How to Reassure? 1. Develop full response plan 2. Put plan into action: Immediate remedy 3. Communicate results of plan and impact 4. Reaﬃrm commitment to correction 5. Demonstrate results of program OCTOBER 18, 2016
30. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect PHASE 4: RECOVERY LONG-TERM TREATMENT PLAN Rebuilding reputation, trust and customer loyalty Implementing preventative measures for long-term crisis mitigation and/or prevention 1. Review need for operational, regulatory, environmental and employee changes 2. Develop long-term plan including policies and prevention tactics 3. Reassess crisis plan 4. Regain customer/public trust OCTOBER 18, 2016
31. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect 1. Implement Policies to Address Potential Vulnerabilities 2. Use Social Media as a Tool for Crisis Monitoring 3. Understand the Response-ability of Social Media 4. Establish a Framework for Response 5. Build a Social Media Crisis Toolkit 10 KEY TAKEAWAYS CRISIS COMMUNICATIONS OCTOBER 18, 2016
32. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect 6. Know Where to Respond 7. Prepare Your Employees in Advance 8. Establish the Proper Tone 9. Kill the Automation Switch 10. Be Honest, Be Transparent 10 KEY TAKEAWAYS CRISIS COMMUNICATIONS OCTOBER 18, 2016
33. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIALAﬀect RESOURCES White Paper: Crisis Communications in the Social Media Age Download at: Aﬀect.com OCTOBER 18, 2016
34. PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIAL March 4, 2010Aﬀect Strategies Sandra Fathi President, Aﬀect Email: sfathi@aﬀect.com tweet: @sandrafathi web: aﬀect.com blog: techaﬀect.com Slides Available: Slideshare.net/sfathi
The biggest crisis communications case study right now is the ... Crisis Communications Lessons from Malaysia Airlines. By: ... Crisis Communications in the Digital Age.
During emergencies, the importance of our country’s communications systems becomes clear. These communications systems include the wireline and wireless telephone ...
Some researchers claim reports of a retirement crisis are ... Futures Now Retire Well ... "About half of today's working-age households are at risk of not being able ...
As the Asian financial crisis raged on two decades ago, ... Mahathir Still Hates Currency Traders 20 Years After Asia Crisis By . ... Despite his age, ...
The latest news and headlines from Yahoo! News. ... Now 64, Berkowitz reflected ... This is one of at least two fires currently burning in Greenland.
WGAL News 8 is your source for the latest local headlines and live alerts. ... Watch on Demand Live Now Coming up Soon. ... flash flooding possible WGAL;
The Silver Age Flash proved popular enough that several other Golden ... West adopted the Flash identity in Crisis on Infinite Earths #12 and ... Circle of Fire.
Watch the latest videos on news, business, politics, ... Video duration 00:30. ... High speed rail and the affordability crisis. Video duration 00:46.
XO Communications helps customers compete in a hyper-connected economy. We have a long history of innovation, including the first 100G coast-to-coast network.
New Zealand. Live. Live stream: ... Colin Earl Meads grew up on a King Country farm and at the age of 19 was playing for his ... A fire spokesperson told 1 NEWS no ...