Published on February 26, 2014
5 ways to maximize mobile presented by Nick Allen February 25, 2014
5 ways 1. Make your site work for mobile 2. Figure out what your constituents are doing on mobile and what they want from you 3. Build your mobile file 4. Use mobile as an additional channel in integrated marketing – information, fundraising, advocacy 5. Create a roadmap for the next 3 years
PC v. mobile PC • Shared or used at work • Hassle to carry • Web and search Mobile • Personal • Take it everywhere • Practically 24/7 • Web, search, apps, social, camera, location, image recognition, prediction, voice, etc. Thanks: Benedict Evans, http://benevans.com/presentations/2013/11/5/mobile-is-eating-theworld-autumn-2013-edition
1. Mobile optimization - Web • Eliminate horizontal scrolling • Make text easy to read without resizing or zooming • Easy to use finger tips for buttons and links • Enable fast page loads if user on slow mobile networks • Simplify navigation and content to focus on what mobile users want
Mobile optimization - email • • • • Majority of emails read on mobile Big fonts, easy to read Buttons easy to click with fingertip Form field big (and minimum number of fields) • Test PayPal, Amazon • Store regular donors’ credit cards?
2. What do your constituents want? • Google Analytics, Facebook Analytics • Ask them (surveys, focus groups) • See what people looking at elsewhere (peer sites, commercial sites, etc.) • Experiment and learn
HUGE drop in bounce rate from mobile devices after launch. Thanks: Michele Zwiebel and Derek Olson, 2013 NTC presentation
Although we’re seeing more and more customers buy from mobile, we still think of mobile as an informational channel versus a place where consumers make a purchase. Our challenge is making the shopping experience on mobile as smooth as possible. — Kaleb Cho, marketing manager, Amazon
Fundraising with mobile • • • • • SMS Direct donation on smartphone PayPal, Amazon, other vault solutions Where’s my “mobile wallet”? Build mobile file via advocacy and info, then convert by telemarketing • More channels = more money
Oxfam UK: 1 pound a week http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2zymuD83aM
UNICEF Spain: SMS -> TMK 19
1 million SMS are worth… • • • • 1,000,000 SMS x $1.50 = $1,500,000 5% TMK conversion? = 50,000 new donors $15 monthly gift x 50,000 x 12 mo. Acquisition cost? Long-term value? 21
U.S. challenges • Hard to get major TV promotion • Can’t call mobile numbers without opt-in • Americans might not respond as well as Spaniards 22
SMS leads converted best Thanks: Helen Pattinson, UNICEF UK
What’s working • Tube (metro) ads asking for £3 monthly SMS donations • Option to “text SKIP” to skip any monthly payment • Telephone upgrades
This was the ad which was featured on overland trains, London Underground and public bathrooms. We chose these places because although competing with other ads, they are pretty captive audiences and are going to be looking for a while. They are also likely to see it more than once because they will take the same travel journey again.
3. Build your mobile file • • • • • • Ask everywhere Include SMS for response everywhere Ask on forms (optional field?) Text cancer to 12345 Excellent welcome and opt-in Generate leads with SMS, then telemarketing
You can… • • • • • Quick polling on hot issues Provide locators and information look-up Be the first with news Run an advocacy program Build turn-out for events
4. Add a mobile channel • • • • Let your supporters choose their channels Offer mobile/SMS wherever it makes sense Events, RSVP, action alerts, appointments, info Send an SMS during fundraising campaign or advo campaign (but also send email, Web site, Facebook, Twitter)
5. Make a roadmap plan • • • • Evaluate what’s most important for your org Determine the steps, budget, staff Make a calendar Be flexible, things change
More info? Nick Allen See3 Communications (415) 531-4262 email@example.com www.See3.com
5 Ways to Maximize Your Mobile Marketing ... mobile devices were twice as high last year as the previous year. If your brand’s mobile strategy could ...
This change comes after nearly a year of closely looking at our history, values, culture and goals. We're excited about our new brand because it ...
Five Ways to Maximize Employee Engagement ... Bets on a rate rise this year have soared ... Mobile; Movies; News;
Five Ways to Maximize Employee Engagement. ... Clarity Benefit Solutions shares five strategies employers can utilize to ... Mobile; LinkedIn Today;
Last year, blogger and ... Five ways to maximize your family budget . ... you can actually get mobile applications that will allow you to get coupons and ...
One last way to maximize your Medicare is to use mobile health ... Here are five ways that you can maximize your Medicare.Sign up for it ... This year ...
Five Ways to Maximize Your Holiday Season. ... What did your consumers purchase the most in the last year? ... Maximize on Upselling ...
Home / How To / 5 Ways to Maximize ROI. ... Will they return next year? At Bizzabo, we’ve seen many ways event ... so follow these five tips to maximize ...
Here are five sure-fire ways to maximize productivity for the New Year. ... We hope you’ve enjoyed our 5 Ways to Maximize Productivity in the New Year.