Published on March 9, 2014
CASE STUDY ANALYSIS Alexia Labrusse Virginie Leroy Group 306
Overview Existing Situation Statement of problems Options
Location Philadelphia Cuernavaca
Names and Positions ✓ Participants Max Bierman, construction manager Leopoldo Sanchez Garcia, Chief engineer ✓ Ann Block, VP Overseas Operation John Perkins, Assistant of contructor manager Mentionned Maestro Miguel Munoz, subcontractor Mexicans workers
Dates ✓ Beginning : August, 1996 ✓ April 1 – 30, 1997 ✓ May 1 – 30, 1997
Documents ✓ Dialogue between Max Bierman, construction manager and Leopoldo Sanchez Garcia, chief engineer ✓ Memo Business from Sanchez Garcia to Max Bierman – 29 April 1997 ✓ Memo Business from Max Bierman to Sanchez Garcia ✓ Bierman’s progress report to the Head Office ✓ Memo Business from Sanchez Garcia to Max Bierman
Problems ✗ Not respecting of the schedule ✗ Cost ✗ Work required to be redone
Known facts ✓ Fitzburg Tire company is building a new plant in Cuernavaca, Mexico ✓ Cost are over budget ✓ Problems of delays ✓ Work required to be redone ✓ Misunderstanding between Max Bierman and Sanchez Garcia
Strengths and Weaknesses Intercultural differences Americans Respect schedule and dedline Individualistic culture Money is more important Mexicans 90 minutes « siesta break » Work slow « Doing well is more important » Spirit of solidarity
Strengths and Weaknesses Communication Strengths Many meetings and reports Weaknesses John doesn’t speak Spanish Max Bierman doesn’t speak to Mexicans workers directly
Strengths and Weaknesses Ethics Strengths American point of view : you are responsible for your mistakes Explications of Sanchez Weaknesses • Fault never comes from only one person: too many persons involved Bierman is self centered and blames only Mexicans workers
Strengths and Weaknesses Management Strengths Good experience for Mexicans workers Sanchez knows well about work in Mexico Good engineers Weaknesses • • • • Different ways of working Lack of supervision from USA Distance between the two countries is too important Disagreement concerning management
Strengths and Weaknesses Cuernavaca Plant Weaknesses Strengths
✗ Too many expenses : budget exceeded ✗ Schedule problems ✗ Delays Are these problems caused by cultural differences ?
1. No management changes The first option is to keep the same management, even if currently there are problems, it seems to be possible to finish the project correctly. No more conflicts Respect of both cultures American and Mexican Schedule not respected Overcost
2. More instructions from Philadelphia and presence on the ground The location of the plant creates problems. More presence at the plant could be a good way to reduce misunderstandings. Better management Take time and need interest
3. Bonus : Work more, earn more One of the most « human » options could be to provide bonus to workers that work well! It’s easy to observe which are involved and motivated to do the work in time and well-done so bonus can be a good way to motivate them. Encourage Mexicans Workers New Overcost
4. Fire John Perkins It could be an option because we know thanks to their discussions that John Perkins doesn’t speak Spanich, first of all and also he is not liked at all by the Mexicans so it creates tensions between him and them. He is not really involved in the project. Hire new assistant who is interested in the Mexican way of life Overcost Conflict
5. Impose changement of Max Bierman It is the most radical option because it means that Mexican workers have to obey to the USA head office and it is not the preferable option for mexicans workers but can be one if they never find another management. Project back on line in term of schedule and cost No respect of Mexican culture Conflicts
Canvas Prints at Affordable Prices make you smile.Visit http://www.shopcanvasprint...
30 Días en Bici en Gijón organiza un recorrido por los comercios históricos de la ...
Con el fin de conocer mejor el rol que juega internet en el proceso de compra en E...
With three established projects across the country and seven more in the pipeline,...
Retailing is not a rocket science, neither it's walk-in-the-park. In this presenta...
Fitzburg Tire Company BACKGROUND It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon in the spring of 2008. For Max Bierman, the American construction manager of his
The Problem With Fitzburg Tire Company. The problem with Fitzburg Tire company are that, the first, construction was already three months... behind schedule.
Free Essays on Fitzburg Tire Company Mexico for students. Use our papers to help you with yours 1 - 30.
1. Fitzburg Tire Company Case Study Victoire Braquehais Celia Collard 2. When you think of Mexico… 3. When you think of America… 4. Index I ...
Title: Case 1 Fitzburg Tire Company 1 Case 1 Fitzburg Tire Company. Management Across Culture ; Participants ; Max Bierman, construction manager (first time
Fitzberg Tire Company. Introduction The Fitzburg Tire Company's construction manager, Max Bierman, has been working on a plant in Cuernavaca, Mexico.
Case 1 Fitzburg Tire Company n Management Across Culture n Participants: Max Bierman, construction manager (first time working outside U.S.) Leopodo Sanchez.
Fitzberg Tire Company This essay Fitzberg Tire Company is available for you on Essays24.com! Search Term Papers, College Essay Examples and Free Essays on ...