Published on February 18, 2014
Creating Meaningful Jobs for Adults with Autism Social Entrepreneurism in the Community Van Hatchell January 28, 2013
• Takeaways: Who We Are: Extraordinary Ventures, Inc. – A real business – Employing 40 adults on the spectrum – A replicable model
• Unique Features: Who We Are: Extraordinary Ventures, Inc. – A portfolio of businesses – Jobs designed and focused on the individuals – Serving the whole spectrum – Young entrepreneurs managing the organization
2013 Paid Employment Hours by Venture EV Structure: A Balanced Portfolio EV Office Solutions Event Space Rentals EV Laundry EV Bus Crew EV Gifts Other
EV Bus Crew
• Entrepreneurs run a business How it works? • As businesses become “profitable” we start another ventures • Our natural deficit is made up by donations • The goal: Businesses that break even whose employees are happy and fulfilled
• Characteristic of ideal job: What kind of jobs? – Communicated Visually – Repetitive tasks – Consistent Cadence – Not Rocket Science
Clean seats A Sample of EV Jobs Vacuum Wash windows Bus Crew Supervise duties
A Sample of EV Jobs Operate machines Sort & inventory Fold & pack Pick up & delivery Laundry
EV Fits the Job Around the Person
Number of Employees: 2010 - 2013 50% Growth 45 40 35 30 25 20 15 10 5 0 2010 2011 2012 2013
How do we train our employees? • Process of onboarding an employee: – Walking interview – Skill assessment – Hands-on training – Structure using TEACCH Method
• Parents organized to solve the problem Our History: Early Days • Getting started • Accepting Trial and Error
Finding Our Footing • Create businesses that fit the employees • Managing on business principles • Hiring young entrepreneurs
• Selling Meeting Challenges • Flexible structuring • Seasonality • Avoiding Out-of-Control Growth • Choosing a “Right Size”
Lessons Learned 1. Get started 2. Accept trial and error 3. Focus on local markets 4. Treat it as a real business
Our Goals To provide meaningful jobs for our employees. To inspire and motivate. To be a model.
Van Hatchell EV Managing Director www.extraordinaryventures.org
Ride in Cars Vacuum Floors Patrick Fold clothes Follow Recipe
Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present; People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account; This link expires 10 ...
Created Date: 10/14/2015 9:18:56 AM
Who We Are: Extraordinary Ventures, Inc. Unique Features: Portfolio of businesses. Jobs are designed around the individuals. 60 employees. Employ the full ...
The State Plan Committee advises the Council on the development, ... Extraordinary Ventures Presentation ARCA Presentation CalTrans Presentation:
Autism Awareness Lecture at EV. ... and this presentation is sure to shed light on the current state of affairs in the ... Extraordinary Ventures is a 501 ...
Financial statement presentation US GAAP versus IFRS The basics 3 Similarities There are many similarities in US GAAP and IFRS guidance on financial statement