Published on March 8, 2014
ESSAY An essay is a short non-fiction, non-imaginary work about a subject. It may be classified by tone and style as formal or informal. It has many purposes depending on what the writer wants to write about and how he/she wants to affect the readers.
Three Main Parts • Introduction It is the opening part of the writeup that shows the topic sentence of the essay or the thesis statement. It prepares the readers on the essay. Therefore, it should be effective so that the readers are encourage/ motivate to continue reading.
Effective introduction should • Catch the reader’s attention, which can be done, for example, by using a direct announcement, a quotation, a question, a definition, an unusual comparison, or a controversial position/opinion; • Introduce the topic of the essay, (in other words, inform the reader of and provide a context for the topic being discussed);
• Introduce the main idea (otherwise known as the thesis or claim) of the essay; • Introduce the purpose of the essay (will it inform, argue, persuade, describe, narrate, classify, etc.?).
An effective body paragraphs should • Explain, illustrate, discuss, or provide evidence to support the main idea (thesis or claim) of the essay; • Discuss only one aspect of the main idea (whenever you move on to a new supporting point, start a new body paragraph);
• Body An essay includes body paragraphs, which develop the main idea (thesis or claim) of the essay.
• Work together with the other body paragraphs to support your essay’s main idea; • Work together with the other body paragraphs to create a clear, cohesive paper (clarity and coherence can be achieved through the use of transitions)
Conclusion An essay ends with a brief conclusion, which brings the essay to a logical end. An effective conclusion should:
brief; predicting an outcome to the main idea giving an opinion quotations
• Remind readers of the primary focus of the essay, which can be done by restating the main idea in different words; • Avoid introducing new ideas; • Avoid apologies.
TYPES OF AN ESSAY
FORMAL ESSAY This is known as impersonal essay. The content is informative and scientific in nature. The writer uses the “aesthetic” approach in language and style.
INFORMAL ESSAY It is called familiar or personal essay. It expresses personal experiences or observation on human nature. Its purpose is to entertain rather than to inform.
FORMS OF ESSAY
• DESCRIPTIVE ESSAY It is an essay that illustrates by using sensory words in order to bring to the reader’s imagination what is being talked about.
• NARRATIVE ESSAY It is an essay that tells a story of the writer or other’s story. It is usually found in the feature writing sections of newspaper or magazine
• EXPOSITORY ESSAY It is an essay that explains something so that reader can understand.
• PERSUASIVE ESSAY It is an essay that convinces the reader to think in a certain way.
Elements of an Essay • Audience- It refers to whom the essay is intended for. • Purpose- It refers to the intention or goal in writing the essay. • Subject- It is the topic discussed in the essay. • Point of view- It is the how the ideas are told to the reader
• Theme- It refers to the lesson or message of the essay. • Mood- It refers to the feeling which the writer would like the reader to experience or get from the literary work. • Tone- It is the attitude of the writer towards his/her subject
• Style- This is the special way in which the ideas of the essay are developed.
Damian Dixon from Bethlehem was looking for parts and types of an essay Nicolas Ball found the answer to a search query parts and types of an essay
An Introduction to Essay: Its Parts and Types. Here you will find the most common elements of an essay, i.e. its parts, ...
Types of Tones Used in Narrative Student Essays 9 Sep 2014. Tone is an author’s attitude towards his subject and audience.
different parts of research paper ppt Doped with boring bullet ... an essay concerning human understanding ... ipod touch and its parts? types of sparse.
Spare Parts Management - Types of Coding and Classification Systems for Spare Parts Types of Coding and Classification ... Essay Writing; Thesis Writing ...
Essay Writing 64; EssayShark News 69; Letter Writing 3; Other 4; Personal Statements Writing 1; Presentation Writing 4; Reports Writing 2; Research Paper ...
Sentence Parts & Types; ... Academic Writing Writing on Demand . Unpack the Essay Prompt. When you are assigned a topic on which to write, ...
How to write a classification essay? Tweet. A classification essay (sometimes also called a division essay) should demonstrate how particular examples ...
Sentence Parts & Types; Punctuation & Mechanics; Solving Writing Problems; Academic Writing. Basic Structure; Writing on Demand; Business Writing. Resume;