Published on October 17, 2014
1. Teaching e-safety as part of the new Computing curriculum! Isabella Lieghio @iconlearningict
2. Aims of today • Raise awareness of e-safety risks and current trends • Understand where e-safety fits into both the new Computing curriculum, and the Ofsted framework • Audit current practice and identify next steps • Provide key links and resources to help you create your own e-safety curriculum
3. Where does it fit in?
4. Where does it fit in? Respect Personal information Reporting Reliability Positives Conduct Footprint Cyberbullying
5. Ofsted describe e-safety as.... • To protect and educate pupils and staff in their use of technology • To have appropriate mechanisms to intervene and support an incident where appropriate
6. ! Features of good and outstanding practice ! ! Education • An age-appropriate e-safety curriculum that is flexible, relevant and engages pupils’ interest; that is used to promote e-safety through teaching pupils how to stay safe, how to protect themselves from harm and how to take responsibility for their own and others’ safety. • Positive rewards used to cultivate responsible use • Peer mentoring programmes
7. ! Current trends Ofcom, October 2014,survey of 1,600 children aged 5 -15
8. ! Current trends • Children trading off known dangers for popularity - speed of ‘likes’ is an important currency! • Google is the primary way of accessing information! • Digital footprint not considered by younger age groups, thought they could delete things and they would be gone! • The average time spent online by 12-15 year olds is more than 17 hours a week! • Trust is much less front of mind than risks (applies to adults too)! ! • Less likely to question information from big brands! ! • Video content inherently more trustworthy Ofcom, October 2014,survey of 1,600 children aged 5 -15
9. How much do you know about your children’s online activities?
10. ! Types of risk
11. How big is your digital footprint?
12. ! Social Networking risks ! • Revealing too much personal information • Privacy settings not set properly • Posting inappropriate images • Who checks these sites? • Digital footprint
13. ! Social Networking risks
14. What is cyberbullying? • Threats or harassment by phone, email or online • Exclusion from groups • Posting information • Evidence
15. Take the quiz…
16. Progression from Year 1 - Year 6? Childnet resources Digiduck ThinkuKnow resources Captain Kara Smartie the penguin Animal Magic Hector’s World Jigsaw Cyber cafe
17. BBC resources
18. More resources…
20. What about children with other needs? • LAC, SEN, behavioural issues! • Children with autism! • Vulnerability to cyberbullying and associated issues
21. Support for parents • Digital Parenting guide from Vodafone • Thinkuknow parents page • To filter or not to filter?
22. What if something goes wrong?
23. Useful weblinks • www.thinkuknow.co.uk • www.childnet.com • http://www.scoop.it/t/esafetyresources • SID - 10th February 2015 Isabella@iconlearning.co.uk @iconlearningict
Acceptable Use Of ICT Policy Date: October 2014 Review date: October 2015 . ... eSafety in the Curriculum Password Security
eSafety; Curriculum. Exams; PSD; Social ... On 30th October 2014 a meeting for School Arbor Representatives from various ... National Curriculum ...
... 8 October 2014 MAIN AUDIENCE: STAFF, ... • Internet use is a part of the statutory curriculum and a necessary tool for staff ... MS/September 2014 ...
eSafety; Curriculum Maps; Archive for October, 2014. ... 5 comments Written on October 8th, 2014 Class 2 have ...
College Day and Curriculum Survey Letter – 14 October 2014. ... College Day and Curriculum Survey Letter . ... ESafety; Exams Information ...
... eSafety Policy 2014-15 1 | P a g e ... Policy Created ‐ Date: October 2014 ... school’s curriculum server.
October 2014 Review Date October 2017 Page 1 ... Internet use is part of the statutory curriculum and a necessary tool for learning.
ESAFETY POLICY Date Created ... 5th October 2014 Date For Review: October 2017 . ... staff professional development through access to new curriculum
School address : Barden Lane Burnley BB10 1JD. Barden Primary School, Burnley. ... 15th October 16. ... E-Safety Policy September 2014. Barden E-Safety ...