Published on September 27, 2015
1. ELT MATERIALS: THE KEY TO FOSTERING EFFECTIVE TEACHING AND LEARNING SETTINGS NÚÑEZ, A., & TÉLLEZ, M. (2009) UNIVERSIDAD DE CALDAS DEPARTMENT OF MODERN LANGUAGES MASTER’S PROGRAM IN ENGLISH DIDACTCS
2. INTRODUCTION Consider the issue of teachers as materials developers and their contribution to teacher development. Reflect about language teaching and learning as essential demands when developing materials. Present the concept, principles and components for adapting didactic materials.
3. MATERIALS DEVELOPMENT FOR TEACHER DEVELOPMENT Developing instructional materials to maximize students’ language learning. Teachers’ awareness of two issues: 1. the huge production in the interest of methodologies and materials used for teaching 2. The importance of including students’ voices in order to update teaching materials Developing materials can enhance teachers’ pedagogical practices through reflection and practice. Developing materials can help satisfy students’ learning objectives and styles, preferences, and expectations. Developing materials can be reflective practice
4. MATERIALS DEVELOPMENT DEMANDS When designing materials, Ts should consider: - how to attend Ss’ diversity (needs, preferences, motivation, etc.) when developing materials, - how to incorporate pair and group learning activities, - how to promote enjoyment, motivation, and engagement, - how to increase Ss’ knowledge, experience and understanding, - how to help Ss learn what they want and need.
5. CONCEPTUALIZATION Materials development = materials design - An array of behaviors leading to fostering effective teaching and learning settings. - Adaptation and/or creation of learning- teaching exercises, tasks, activities, lessons, units, or modules. - A strange mixture of imagination, insight, and analytical reasoning. - A provision of sources of language input and to exploit those sources in ways which maximize the likelihood of intake. Principles of materials development - Novelty and variety. - Relevance. - Readiness. - Communicative purposes. - Different learning styles. - Conscious and subconscious attention to L - Time for a silent period. - Right and left brain lateralization. - Free practice - Outcome feedback - Information rehearsal and retrieval - Feeling at ease. - SS’ self-confidence
6. ESSENTIAL COMPONENTS IN THE PROCESS OF CREATING AND ADAPTING DIDACTIC LEARNING MATERIALSA Identifying, addressing, and meeting students’ needs. B A sense of direction to determine appropriate content and activities. C Integration of an array of aspects that are fundamental to language learning. D Carefully planned, graded, sequenced and very well-articulated resources. E The building (from simple to complex, general to specific, concrete to abstract), the recycling (a new skill, activity, and focus), and the sequence (arrangement within a given time). F Formative and summative assessment. G resourceful as to adapt o the tangible or intangible givens and lacks of their teaching situation
7. CONCLUSION All teachers are potential materials developers. Materials development is a complex multidimensional process. Materials development inspires EFL/ESL teachers to take advantage of their knowledge and creativity to undertake the development of their own teaching materials. Teacher-developed materials boost not only effective learning settings and outcomes, but also teachers’ pedagogical practice/performance. Effective materials make learners feel comfortable and confident because both the content and type of activities are perceived by them as significant and practical to their lives. Materials development contributes to teachers’ professional growth as it betters their knowledge, skills and creativity, raises their consciousness as regards teaching and learning procedures, and allows them to act as agents of permanent change.
8. REFERENCE Núñez, A., & Téllez, M. (2009). ELT Materials: The key to fostering effective teaching and learning settings. PROFILE: Issues in Teachers’ Professional Development, 11(2), 171-186.
ELT Materials: The Key to Fostering Effective Teaching and Learning Settings ... Key words: Materials development, ...
... The Key to Fostering Effective Teaching and Learning Settings on ... the effectiveness of materials ... ELT Materials: The Key to Fostering ...
Bienvenido a PROFILE Issues in Teachers' Professional Development. ... ELT Materials: The Key to Fostering ... the effectiveness of materials used for ...
ELT Materials: The Key to Fostering Effective ... The role of technology in fostering creativity in ... The Key to Fostering Effective Teaching and ...
ELT Materials: The Key to Fostering Effective Teaching and Learning Settings. ... materials development demands,effective teaching and learning settings.
ELT Materials: The Key to Fostering Effective Teaching and Learning ... Our article aims at providing teachers with an overview for materials ...
Leadership is a key component of all organizations but its function and capacity ... Essential skills for leadership effectiveness in the diverse workplace
101 Guidelines for Designing Effective English Language Teaching Materials Jocelyn Howard Christchurch College of Education Jae Major Christchurch College ...