Published on November 9, 2016
1. eIDAS EXPLAINED IN 3 MINUTES
2. eIDAS? eIDAS is an EU Regulation on electronic identification and trust services for electronic transactions in the European internal market.
3. The main target is to enable mutual recognition and acceptance of electronic identification schemes across EU borders. The Regulation went into effect on July 1st 2016. eIDAS?
4. European Commission was dissatisfied with its predecessor, the E-signature Directive (1999), due to a perceived lack of legal certainty. Thus, eIDAS was set out to give consistency to electronic signature regulations in the EU. eIDAS?
5. The regulation wants to ensure that secure electronic identification and authentication is possible for cross-border online services offered by Member States. eIDAS?
6. The electronic signatures will have the same legal weight as their physical counterparts, but otherwise national laws will define the legal effect of these signatures. eIDAS?
7. For the remaining 2 minutes: Here's a video explaining eIDAS