Published on October 23, 2014
1. Doctor, Lawyer, Poker Player, Physicist. The Best Engineers We’re Not Competing To Hire Yet.
2. Hello! @cczona
3. Doctor Lawyer Poker Player Physicist
4. Doctor Lawyer Poker Player Physicist
6. WANTED: CS degree –everybody, ever
7. “…or equivalent” • What does that mean?! • Do we all agree?! • Who is filtered out?! • Does it get what we need?
8. The Best Engineers We’re Not Competing To Hire Yet.
9. Jim Weirich Ruby Community’s CS Teacher-in-Chief • Rake! • RubyGems
10. Jacob Thornton Bootstrap English literature
11. ! ! “A computer is just a regular tool. ! It allows you to communicate and do creative things…”
12. Fabien Potencier Symfony Entrepreurship
13. Jacob Kaplan-Moss Django Literature! ! Journalist
14. “Ability to write/communicate effectively is responsible for my career. It’s a myth that ability to write tons of code is all that matters. Real teams need other skills too.”
15. Ryan Dahl Node.js Math
16. Ryan has unique ability that I rarely see in a Software Engineer. That is, to see things differently. I've seen Ryan question all kinds of things, how a database is written, or a parser, or a web server. He always seem to come up with a different way to look at a problem. -Brock Whitten, Harp & PhoneGap
17. Ryan has unique ability that I rarely see in a Software Engineer. That is, to see things differently. I've seen Ryan question all kinds of things, how a database is written, or a parser, or a web server. He always seem to come up with a different way to look at a problem. -Brock Whitten, Harp & PhoneGap
18. “WANTED: rock star”
19. “WANTED:! rock star”
20. “WANTED:! rock star”
21. “Type a quote here.”
22. Amitai Schlair Degree in Music Team Lead & Developer ! 15 years
23. we hack code. and we hack people.
24. Kerri Miller Stagehand, Lighting Designer, Set Construction, 12 years Senior Software Developer ! 18 years
25. Eric Rasmussen Call Center Ops, 6 years Degree in Psychology Web and Backend Systems Developer
26. coding is analytical.
27. Stephan Oceanographer, 4 years Graduate degree in Physics Test manager! 12 years
28. Joshua Ballanco Biochemist, 12 years PhD in Computational Biochemistry Software Developer! 7.5 years
29. Dan Degree in Molecular Biology & Degree in Computational Biochemistry Senior Backend Developer! 2 years
30. coding is a work ethic.
31. Nicholas Marrone Police Officer, 8 years Degree in Japanese Ruby engineer! 1/2 year
32. coding is collaborative.
33. Allie Jones Fine Arts / Weaving Developer! 5 years
34. Blithe Rocher PhD in Physical Chemistry 11 years Rails intern! 1 Year
35. coding is archaeological.
36. Diversity Types Visible! •gender! •race! •age! ! Invisible ! • class! • education! • life experiences
37. disrupt groupthink.
38. disrupt groupthink.
39. diversity, because
40. Danielle Sucher Lawyer, 7 years Software Engineer
41. “culture fit” is fear of discomfort. ! we need the discomfort.
42. concepts into practice. –Joshua Ballanco
43. because money. sales! profit
44. because, innovative. creative! challenge thinking! synthesize
45. because, rock stars noooooo. disagreement can be visible! different approaches are evaluated
46. because, productive. paradox: ! effectiveness and belief of effectiveness
47. which skill set is important. –Joshua Ballanco
48. Leon Gersing Actor/Writer/Director, 10 years Degree in Musical Theater Software Developer! 13 years
49. crave disruption. Hire for radically, crazy, implausibly, different.
50. thank you.
51. share unconventional you: http://bit.ly/1k1d6VZ
52. Photo Credits • Whiteboard http://www.flickr.com/photos/uclmaps/10690275616! • Polizei http://www.flickr.com/photos/flik/2517171174! • Fishing Boat http://www.flickr.com/photos/90369723@N00/8730902405! • Weaving http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebees/7645824666! • Spectography http://www.flickr.com/photos/adelphilabcenter/5999031935! • Theater flats http://www.flickr.com/photos/kjeik/4383928695! • Volatile light workshop http://www.flickr.com/photos/110841637@N08/12831365224! • Jacob Kaplan-Moss http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4029/4648185053_aa85c6d33b_o.jpg • Light Board http://www.flickr.com/photos/72955843@N00/3434919480! • LinkedIn http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/ File:LinkedIn_logo_initials.png ! • Piano Keys http://www.flickr.com/photos/dgoomany/4976245067! • Computational Biology chains http://www.flickr.com/photos/libertasacademica/7290793400! • Rotary Phone https://www.flickr.com/photos/traftery/5467650475! • Rubber Ducks http://www.paulandpartners.net/images/rubber_ducks.jpg! • Diverse Stained Glass Faces http://www.mcgeorgecdo.com/2011/10/celebrate-pacific-mcgeorge-diversity. html! • Justin Bieber http://gossipdavid.com/2012/06/15/justin-bieber-today-show-concert/
Presentación que realice en el Evento Nacional de Gobierno Abierto, realizado los ...
In this presentation we will describe our experience developing with a highly dyna...
Presentation to the LITA Forum 7th November 2014 Albuquerque, NM
Un recorrido por los cambios que nos generará el wearabletech en el futuro
Um paralelo entre as novidades & mercado em Wearable Computing e Tecnologias Assis...
Kod.io is a developer conference from Europe. ... Doctor, Lawyer, Poker Player, Physicist: The Best Engineers We’re Not Competing To Hire Yet.
Businesses of all sizes use the Yext product suite to manage their online presence, ... We're Hiring. It's an exciting time to be at Yext.
The average pay for a Nuclear Engineer is $79,803 ... It does not include ... Nuclear engineers apply nuclear reactor technologies ...
CNET news editors and reporters provide top ... Terror in Paris must not lead to Web ... Here are the products we're looking forward to in the ...
RentAFriend.com has Friends from around the world available for hire. Rent a Friend to attend a ... Learn the best places for shopping, eating ...
Doctors are responsible for a minority of ... the medical physicist, did not realize that her ... But in the case we’re ...
... then we’re doing it wrong. ... * Dentons isn't finished collecting lawyers yet. ... Above the Law’s 2015 Lawyer Of The Year Contest: ...
ZoomInfo delivers highly accurate B2B data ... your targeting by identifying your best ... marketing campaigns we're running are ...
Best Small & Medium Companies to Work For. ... Doctor Salaries ($192k / year) ... We're sorry...you are not eligible to have an account.