Published on July 7, 2016
1. Disney consumer products : Marketing nutrition to kids
2. History : Let’s take a sneak peak at the past
3. 1923 - Mickey Mouse debuts in steamboat willie 1932 - a formal licensing business is established 1954 - Disney debuted it’s first television program, “the wonderful world of Disney” 1955 - opened the first Disneyland in California 2004 - the obesity phenomenon 2006 - Walt Disney Company has managed to establish 4 major segments
4. Walt Disney Company in 2006 Media network Studio Entertai nment DCP Park and Resorts
6. Disney sells the rights to use it’s characters to licensees for marketing purposes at exorbitant rates due to the fact that Disney characters resonate well with kids
7. DCP’s licensing models :
8. Licensing models Sourcing (Product designing is controlled by disney alone ) Direct to Retailer(brand sold directly to retailer) Traditional licensing model
9. Current scenario
10. Brands like Disney are being blamed for increasing rates of obesity among children
11. 14% of the American juvenile population are Obese and 30% of the american kids are overweight
12. Disney has traditionally marketed treats and sweets that target its core Consumer groups
13. Due to factors like : Retail industry consolidation Increasing occurance of obesity among kids New licensing models New FDA Rules Disney sees an opportunity to expand on it’s product range by rolling out “Health food”
14. THE QUESTIONS THAT MATTER
15. How to customize the food serving in order to ensure that the nutritional content meets the USDA and FDA guidelines ?
16. How to stay loyal to the core values of the brand (fun , trust and happiness) and how to stay relevant to kids
17. Analysing the market to come up with a hypothesis that solves this case
18. Using focus groups and mother’s support groups to gauge public perception of the brand
19. Moms associate Disney Strongly with magic—it is the key image that comes to mind even when it comes to Food , they place a lot of trust on the Brand
20. It has been observed that kids play a vital role in the decision making process involved in purchasing . Kid’s decisions are largely driven by peer pressure and commercials
21. Inferences drawn Must look good and flashy , for the kids Must meet the daily nutrition requirements of kids without compromising on the kid’s choice
22. The Solution ???? “Good food , great fun”!!! , a combination of all of the above factors and observations used to design a new generation of products
23. EXECUTIVE DECISIONS TAKEN (Proof and action)
24. Steps taken after audit Shrink out certain portions Reformulate certain products Maintain certain products Phase out other products
25. Disney licensed it’s characters to imagination farms , which is a national fresh produce company as a part of its new strategy
26. Using fun facts on the cover of the products to explain the importance of nutrition to kids Using Store Keeping Units to market basic staple food items Using PLU tags to differentiate between products
27. Competition Disney had multiple competitors in the everyday accessories and consumables segment , but none of them were able to recreate the magic of disney
28. Disney strikes back with DTR Disney teamed up with Kroger , the largest retail grocer in USA to establish Disney Magic Selection which turns out to be a cut above the rest ….the rest is history
29. Alternatives ??? Creating new characters and storylines that target different segments of the market by being relevant to people from different ethnicities and backgrounds
30. Created by NITIN. N , IIT Madras during a Marketing internship under Prof Sameer Mathur , IIM Lucknow Image sources : Flickr , Wikipedia , google images DISCLAIMER
Disney Consumer Products: Marketing Nutrition to ... ; Nutrition; Consumer Products ... "Disney Consumer Products: Marketing Nutrition to ...
Disney Consumer Products Marketing Nutrition to ... to buy for their kids. Since their positive image of Disney, ... Disney Consumer Products: Marketing...
Disney Consumer Products: Marketing Nutrition to Children Is Disney’s new strategy in foods likely to be profit enhancing? Disney’s new strategy in ...
Disney Consumer Products: Marketing Nutrition to Children. ... Disney Consumer Products (DCP) debuted a broad line of "better for you" foods, ...
Disney Consumer Products: Marketing Nutrition to Children Case Solution, Disney Consumer Products: ... Disney Consumer Products (DCP) ...
Disney Consumer Products: Marketing Nutrition to Children ... HBS-508078-E. MARKETING. Harvard Business ... , Licensing, Product portfolio management. Zona ...
Disney to quit taking ads for junk food aimed at kids. ... Under the new Disney nutrition ... nutrition guidelines for food products promoted ...