Published on January 15, 2016
1. Executive Perspective 2016 Destination Marketing Insights from Meeting Executives January 2016
2. Key Takeaways for Destination Marketers • Executives are increasingly looking to DMOs to provide financial incentives to offset escalating meeting costs. • Executives are expecting DMOs to provide services that increase the business performance (attendance, sponsorship) of their meetings. • Meeting executives are best engaged through face-to-face appointments and events.
3. Key Takeaways for Destination Marketers • DMO print advertising, print materials and email marketing are seen as ineffective by executives. • DMOs need to do more to demonstrate they understand the business elements of the meetings they are trying to place in their destinations. • DMOs need to stop cold-calling and emailing meeting executives.
4. 20% 24% 34% 3% 4% 10% 5% 1.What best describes your meeting industry professional role?: ASSOCIATION EXECUTIVE CORPORATE PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION PROFESSIONAL INCENTIVE PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION MGMT FIRM EVENT MANAGEMENT AGENCY OTHER 3% 7% 35% 55% 2. How long have you been working in the meeOngs and events industry?: LESS THAN TWO YEARS 2-5 YEARS 6-10 YEARS 11-20 YEARS 20+ YEARS Who did we ask? 398 primarily US- based meeting professionals 90% had over 11 years meeting industry experience November web survey Source: FULCRUM/Kliman Group 2016 Source: FULCRUM/Kliman Group 2016
5. 2% 4% 5% 6% 6% 8% 69% 3. Where respondents place their business: OCEANIA (AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND) ASIA LATIN AMERICA OTHER CANADA EUROPE USA Over 30% of respondent’s business was placed outside the US. Source: FULCRUM/Kliman Group 2016
6. 0% 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% 70% KEEPING MY JOB DEALING WITH SHARING ECONOMY CSR CONSIDERATIONS PERSONAL CAREER GROWTH OTHER TAKING MEETINGS GLOBAL MULTI-GENERATIONAL NEEDS KEEPING UP WITH TECHNOLOGY INCREASING LODGING COSTS INCREASING F&B COSTS WIFI CAPACITY AND COSTS 4. The biggest things rocking my professional world: • “Costs are out of control.” • “Incremental service charges and fees being added…” • “Breaking with talking head format to create more innovative meetings.” Source: FULCRUM/Kliman Group 2016
7. Planners are looking for destination financial support to offset the effects of escalating costs and additional fees. 0% 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% 70% 80% 90% 100% LOCAL EDUCATIONAL SUPPORT POSITIVE LOCAL PERCEPTION OF MEETINGS LEGACY DEVELOPMENT OPTIONS DMO ADVOCACY PROGRAM ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT PARTNERSHIPS STABLE DMO FUNDING BROAD MEETING INDUSTRY COLLABORATION SUBVENTION/INCENTIVE PROGRAM 5. Community support elements that contribute to desOnaOon appeal: No appeal Limited Appeal Considerable Appeal Game Changing Appeal Source: FULCRUM/Kliman Group 2016
8. 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 RECENT MEETINGS INDUSTRY RANKINGS UNIQUE EVENTS LOCAL TRANSPORTATION DESTINATION BRAND TECHNOLOGY TO SUPPORT PLANNER/ATTENDEE NEEDS ENTERTAINMENT, ATTRACTIONS, SHOPPING AND DINING INTERNET CAPACITY MEETING ASSETS (E.G. CONVENTION CENTER) AIR ACCESS LODGING ACCOMMODATIONS 6. DesOnaOon strength elements that contribute to desOnaOon appeal: No appeal Limited Appeal Considerable Appeal Game Changing Appeal Destination infrastructure continues to be the game-changer. Source: FULCRUM/Kliman Group 2016
9. 44.3% 43.4% 4.7% 4.7% 2.8% 7. Change in frequency of engagement with DMOs over the last 12 months NO CHANGE INCREASED SOMEWHAT INCREASED SUBSTANTIALLY DECREASED SOMEWHAT DECREASED SUBSTANTIALLY Executives have been engaging more frequently with DMOs. Source: FULCRUM/Kliman Group 2016
10. 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 LOCAL LEGISLATIVE & REGULATORY SUPPORT/ VOLUNTEER IDENTIFICATION & MANAGEMENT KEY SUPPLIER SOURCING CONTENT DEVELOPMENT/SOURCING ENTERTAINMENT & CULTURAL ACTIVITIES SOURCING LEGACY DEVELOPMENT LOCAL COMMUNICATIONS DATA GENERATION & MANAGEMENT NATIONAL/GLOBAL COMMUNICATIONS ROOM BLOCK SOURCING SPONSORSHIP IDENTIFICATION & SOLICITATION ATTENDEE MARKETING 8. How do you expect your business relaOonship acOviOes with DMOs to change in the next 24 months? Signiﬁcantly decrease Slight Decrease No Change Slight Increase Signiﬁcant Increase Executives are looking to DMOs to help drive elevated business results from meetings in response to increased costs. Source: FULCRUM/Kliman Group 2016
11. 0% 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% 70% 80% OTHER PARTNERSHIPS WITH PROFESSIONAL CONGRESS ORGANIZERS (PCOS) DEVELOPMENT OF COLLEGE EVENT MANAGEMENT CURRICULA SUSTAINABILITY PRACTICES CVB/DMO PARTNERSHIP NETWORKS DEVELOPING "BIG DATA" VISITOR ANALYTICS SOCIAL MEDIA SERVICE/SUPPORT EVENT SUBVENTION/INCENTIVE PROGRAMS 9. What current/emerging DMO pracOces and services would enhance the appeal of a potenOal meeOng desOnaOon for your business? DMOs that offer financial support and attendee engagement services through social media will enhance destination appeal to executives. Source: FULCRUM/Kliman Group 2016
12. 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 GOVERNMENT INFORMATION WEBSITE SOCIAL MEDIA INDUSTRY PUBLICATION TRAVEL REVIEW SITE INDUSTRY SOURCING PLATFORM TRUSTED COLLEAGUE DMO/CVB WEBSITE HOTEL OR VENUE WEBSITE SEARCH ENGINE 10. Frequency of use of the following informaOon sources when researching informaOon or opinions about a desOnaOon: First Stop Frequently SomeOmes Rarely Never Google dominates as the channel of first resort. Executives seek out colleagues more than TripAdvisor for information and opinions. Source: FULCRUM/Kliman Group 2016
13. 5.1% 5.1% 4.1% 5.1% 14.3% 22.4% 6.1% 37.8% 5.1% 11. The MOST EFFECTIVE desOnaOon markeOng engagement tacOc to get your interest/alenOon: PRINT ADVERTISING DIGITAL ADVERTISING (WEB OR SOCIAL MEDIA) EMAIL MARKETING PHONE CALL FROM A DMO REPRESENTATIVE NETWORKING EVENT F2F MEETING OR TRADESHOW APPOINTMENT PROPRIETARY EDUCATIONAL/RESEARCH CONTENT SITE INSPECTION/FAM Seeing is believing. Executives want to engage face-to-face to understand the destination value proposition. Source: FULCRUM/Kliman Group 2016
14. 31.7% 11.9% 14.9% 32.7% 1.0% 6.9% 1.0% 1.9% 12. The LEAST EFFECTIVE desOnaOon markeOng engagement tacOc to get your interest/alenOon PRINT ADVERTISING DIGITAL ADVERTISING (WEB OR SOCIAL MEDIA) EMAIL MARKETING PHONE CALL FROM A DMO REPRESENTATIVE NETWORKING EVENT F2F MEETING OR TRADESHOW APPOINTMENT PROPRIETARY EDUCATIONAL/RESEARCH CONTENT SITE INSPECTION/FAM Cold calls and print advertising do not engage or make a positive impression with executives. Source: FULCRUM/Kliman Group 2016
15. 14. If there were ONE THING DMOs could START DOING to make their desOnaOons more appealing to your business, what would it be? Source: FULCRUM/Kliman Group 2016
16. 15. If there were ONE THING DMOs could STOP DOING to make their desOnaOons more appealing to your business, what would it be? Source: FULCRUM/Kliman Group 2016
17. For additional meeting executive insights contact: David Kliman: email@example.com Bruce MacMillan: bmac@fulcrum- marketing.com
Meeting Planners; Students ... Destination sales professionals will now have access to enhanced planner ... Destination Marketing Association ...
... ideas that audiences see as their ... Insights-based marketing campaigns create authentic engagement and ... Account Manager Brand Marketing, ...
Predictive data and marketing solutions for Hotels and Destinations. nSight combines the world’s largest view of consumer shopping data with predictive ...
We believe in Customer Inspired Growth. We help the world’s leading brands partner with their customers. ... our clients gain deep insight, ...
Client Service | McKinsey & Company ... we are committed to helping our clients build their functional skills and boost performance for ... Marketing ...
See who you know at Havas Media Group UK, ... Havas Media Group UK Marketing ... Our multi discipline approach gives us a unique perspective on client ...
McKinsey’s Sales & Channel Management group helps clients master multichannel for sales excellence in two ways: by improving the effectiveness of their ...
Insights has over 20 years of ... For our US Client Practitioners As an Insights Discovery Practitioner ... by investing in their ...
Toggle navigation powered by Destination Marketing Association International empowerMINT.com a tool for meeting ... Their role is to help ...
Clients. Great business ... Executive Search. ... marketingmoves provides high calibre marketing professionals to find their ideal contract or interim ...