Published on September 13, 2016
1. Design Patterns in Java A design pattern is a general repeatable solution to a commonly occurring problem in software design. A design pattern isn't a finished design that can be transformed directly into code.
2. Types of Design Patterns • As per the design pattern reference book Design Patterns - Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software , there are 23 design patterns which can be classified in three categories: • Creational • Structural • Behavioral • .We'll also discuss another category of design pattern: J2EE design patterns.
3. Creational Patterns • These design patterns provide a way to create objects while hiding the creation logic, rather than instantiating objects directly using new opreator. This gives program more flexibility in deciding which objects need to be created for a given use case.
4. Structural Patterns • These design patterns concern class and object composition. Concept of inheritance is used to compose interfaces and define ways to compose objects to obtain new functionalities.
5. Behavioral Patterns • These design patterns are specifically concerned with communication between objects.
6. • Structural patterns generally deal with relationships between entities, making it easier for these entities to work together. • Creational patterns provide instantiation mechanisms, making it easier to create objects in a way that suits the situation. • Behavioral patterns are used in communications between entities and make it easier and more flexible for these entities to communicate
7. • What is Gang of Four (GOF)? • In 1994, four authors Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson and John Vlissides published a book titled Design Patterns - Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software which initiated the concept of Design Pattern in Software development.
8. • According to these authors design patterns are primarily based on the following principles of object orientated design. • Program to an interface not an implementation • Favor object composition over inheritance
9. Usage of Design Pattern • Design Patterns have two main usages in software development. • Common platform for developers • Design patterns provide a standard terminology and are specific to particular scenario. For example, a singleton design pattern signifies use of single object so all developers familiar with single design pattern will make use of single object and they can tell each other that program is following a singleton pattern. • Best Practices • Design patterns have been evolved over a long period of time and they provide best solutions to certain problems faced during software development.
10. The factory method pattern • is a creational design pattern which does exactly as it sounds: it's a class that acts as a factory of object instances. • The main goal of this pattern is to encapsulate the creational procedure that may span different classes into one single function. By providing the correct context to the factory method, it will be able to return the correct object.
11. The singleton Pattern • The singleton design pattern is a creational design pattern which makes sure that you have one single instance of a particular class in the duration of your runtime, and provides a global point of access to the single instance. • This makes it easier to set up a point of "coordination" for other objects that use the singleton instance as well, since the singleton's variables will always be the same for anything that calls it.
In software engineering, a software design pattern is a general reusable solution to a commonly occurring problem within a given context in software design.
Data & Object Factory helps developers succeed with .NET Design Patterns through training, products, and a .NET Design Pattern and Practices community
In software engineering, a design pattern is a general repeatable solution to a commonly occurring problem in software design. A design pattern isn't a finished ...
Design Patterns: Elements of ... It is shown how the solution is a direct implementation of that design pattern. The seven problems (including their constraints) ...
Design Patterns Overview - Learning java design patterns in simple and easy steps : A beginner's tutorial containing complete knowledge about an java design patterns ...
Design Pattern Books: Forum ... - Logger Classes - Configuration Classes - Accesing resources in shared mode - Other design patterns implemented as Singletons: ...
DesignPatternsPHP - sample code for several design patterns in PHP
Discover thousands of free patterns to download. You'll find free patterns for crochet, knitting, sewing, quilting, cross-stitch, plastic canvas, beading and more!
I'm SourceMaking. I will tell you a ... good software architecture and teach you how to create it with design patterns. I will guide you ... Factory Design Pattern
InfoQ.com is a practitioner-driven community news site focused on facilitating the spread of knowledge and innovation in professional software development.