Published on October 10, 2014
1. Sit with other people. Be ready to jot down ideas. CREATING OUT-OF-THE-BOX THINKING FOR STAFF & PATRON TRAINING
2. Creating Out-of-the-Box Thinking for Staff & Patron Training Interactive Session Jill Hurst-Wahl @jill_hw
3. My training experience & how training has changed.
4. Gloucestershire College https://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesclay/3509154015/ When I think of training, I think of…
5. Reading English as a second language Financial literacy Use of creative materials Research methods Gardening …! TRAINING IS NOT JUST ABOUT COMPUTERS! Different training requires different resources or does it?
6. All training is the same Teaches irrelevant skills Teaches skills that are not transferable Uses unfamiliar technology Does not allow for any relevant assessment The trainer is not prepared The learning space is inappropriate THUMBS DOWN
7. Interactive Scalable Engaging Individualized/ customized Learner focused Stated outcomes Transferable skills Inquiry based Learn something new Social & cultural context Connectivist Assessment Correct/relevant technology Flexible space The trainer is trained THUMBS UP!
8. Clear line of sight Room to move Room to write Light and air Access to power Multi-purpose Built for interaction THUMBS UP… LEARNING SPACE http://design.cmu.edu/content/facilities
9. From EDUCAUSE Rating system & scoring guide http://tinyurl.com/kmwuvna NEW! LEARNING SPACE RATING SYSTEM
10. Let’s work on creating more thumbs up.
11. The type of training that you do The topics that you do Assumptions about: Facility Trainer Learner FIRST…CREATE A LIST!
12. Second… let’s brainstorm
13. BRAINSTORMING RULES FROM IDEO 1. Defer judgment 2. Encourage wild ideas 3. Build on the ideas of others 4. Stay focused on the topic 5. One conversation at a time 6. Be visual 7. Go for quantity 13 And… Stick to the rules! Work quickly. No idea is refused.
14. OPPOSITES What is it? You consider the exact opposite of what is normal. Why? It provides a different perspective and can spark useful ideas. Example: Rather than having the computer lab as tables in rows, the lab is organized so that learners are paired together. This allows them to help and teach each other. (If you can teach it, you have learned it.) 14
15. Report out!
16. Your next steps…
17. THANK YOU!
... the potential for fostering creativity through education and training, ... creating and developing new ... directed thinking (representing creativity ...
So you've been asked to think outside of the box for ... Thinking outside the box, like ... Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read ...
The notion 'thinking outside the box' is far more than ... thinking we can get on with creating the ... workers to think out of the box. 6
Thinking outside the box (also thinking out of the box or thinking beyond the box) ... He is going to be "thinking outside the box," you know, ...
... allowing you to incorporate your own ideas and exercises to meet any special needs of your staff. Out of the Box Training ... A Thinking Approach to ...
Exactly what is 'Thinking Outside the Box ... need for innovation training is to get "our team ... definition for "out of the box" thinking, ...
Motivating employees with creative, "outside the box" thinking can have surprisingly positive effects.