Published on January 29, 2016
1. Cost Optimisation on AWS email@example.com @IanMmmm Ian Massingham — Technical Evangelist
2. How to make your funding go further
3. LOWER COSTS WITH THE AWS CLOUD 2 31 4 Replace up-front capital expense with low variable cost Save more money as you grow bigger Economies of scale allow AWS to continually lower costs Pricing model choice to support variable & stable workloads
4. LOWER COSTS THAN ON-PREMISES On-Premises Traditional Data Centre On-Premises Virtualised Data Centre AWS CAPEX CAPEX OPEX OPEX OPEX Cost savings from running internal IT more efficiently Cost savings from moving to a cloud provider AWS Scale • Multiple new data centres built each year • Volume purchasing, highly automated supply chain optimisation Utilisation fundamentally higher in the AWS Cloud • Aggregating non-correlated workloads, scale, spot market Amazon specific hardware designs • OEM acquisition of custom servers and networking equipment • Direct purchasing of memory, disk & CPU • AWS controlled hypervisor and network protocol layers
5. AWS PRICING PHILOSOPHY More AWS Usage More Infrastructure More Customers Lower Infrastructure Costs Economies of Scale Reduced Prices Ecosystem Global Footprint New Features New Services Infrastructure Innovation 51PRICE REDUCTIONS We pass the savings along to our customers in the form of low prices and continuous reductions
6. Flipboard Example: Handling objection AWS gets expensive as you grow big…
7. COST OPTIMISATION TIPS & TRICKS
8. 1. CHOSE THE RIGHT INSTANCE TYPES Choose an instance that best meets your basic requirements Start with memory & then choose closest virtual cores Assess peak IOPS storage requirements Run multiple instances in multiple Availability Zones Change instance size up or down based upon monitoring Use CloudWatch & Trusted Advisor to assess START DEPLOY & SCALETUNE
9. 2. USE AUTO SCALING LAUNCH CONFIGURATION Describes what Auto Scaling will create when adding Instances Only one active launch configuration at a time as-create-launch-config --image-id ami-54cf5c3d --instance-type m1.small --key mykey --group webservers --launch-config 101-launch-config AUTO SCALING GROUP Auto Scaling managed grouping of EC2 instances Automatically scale the number of instances by policy as-create-auto-scaling-group 101-as-group --availability-zones us-east-1a us-east-1b --launch-configuration 101-launch-config --load-balancers myELB --max-size 5 --min-size 1 AUTO SCALING POLICY Parameters for performing an Auto Scaling action Scale Up/Down and by how much as-put-scaling-policy 101ScaleUpPolicy --auto-scaling-group 101-as-group --adjustment=1 --type ChangeInCapacity --cooldown 300
10. 00:00 01:00 02:00 03:00 04:00 05:00 06:00 07:00 08:00 09:00 10:00 11:00 12:00 13:00 14:00 15:00 16:00 17:00 18:00 19:00 20:00 21:00 22:00 23:00 UTILISATION & AUTO SCALING GRANULARITY
11. 00:00 01:00 02:00 03:00 04:00 05:00 06:00 07:00 08:00 09:00 10:00 11:00 12:00 13:00 14:00 15:00 16:00 17:00 18:00 19:00 20:00 21:00 22:00 23:00 UTILISATION & AUTO SCALING GRANULARITY 41 Instance Hours m3.large @ $0.154/hr = $6.314/day
12. 00:00 01:00 02:00 03:00 04:00 05:00 06:00 07:00 08:00 09:00 10:00 11:00 12:00 13:00 14:00 15:00 16:00 17:00 18:00 19:00 20:00 21:00 22:00 23:00 UTILISATION & AUTO SCALING GRANULARITY 70 Instance Hours t2.small @ $0.028/hr = $1.96/day 69%SAVING
13. 3. TURN OFF UNUSED INSTANCES Development/test instances Simple instance stop/start Tear down & build rapidly Treat resources as disposable Deployment & Management Containers Dev/ops Tools Resource Templates Usage Tracking Monitoring and Logs
14. 00:00 01:00 02:00 03:00 04:00 05:00 06:00 07:00 08:00 09:00 10:00 11:00 12:00 13:00 14:00 15:00 16:00 17:00 18:00 19:00 20:00 21:00 22:00 23:00 4. USE RESERVED INSTANCES 100% 75% 58% 38% 13% 8% On Demand Instance Reserved Instance
15. AWS SERVICES OFFERING RESERVATIONS Amazon EC2 up to 75% savings Amazon RDS up to 76% savings Amazon DynamoDB up to 76% savings Amazon Redshift up to 73% savings Amazon ElastiCache up to 70% savings
16. 5. USE SPOT INSTANCES Pricing Up to 92% discount Elastic Capacity not otherwise available Tradeoff Potential for interruption
17. USING SPOT INSTANCES FOR HPC WORKLOADSC ase Study Building a Top500 HPC Cluster on AWS 0 18 35 53 70 On-Premises AWS $68M $33K Cost Comparison 1.21 PFLOPS, 16,788 EC2 Instances in 8 Regions, 264 years of computing in 18 hours
18. 6. MAKE USE OF APPROPRIATE STORAGE CLASSES AWS Cloud Amazon Glacier Gateway Appliance/ AWS Storage Gateway Amazon S3 Block File On-premises Data Center Archive Backup Disaster Recovery Amazon EBS Amazon S3 Reduced Redundancy • 99.99% durability vs. 99.999999999% • Up to 20% savings • Great for everything that is easy to reproduce Amazon Glacier • Same durability as S3 • 3 to 5 hours restore time • Up to 67% savings • Great for archiving, long-term backups and cold or old data
19. 7. OFFLOAD FROM YOUR ARCHITECTURE The more you can offload, the less infrastructure you need to maintain, scale and pay for • Offload traffic to Amazon CloudFront and S3 • Introduce Caching No CDN ResponseTime InstanceLoad ResponseTime Instance Load CDN for Static Content ResponseTime Instance Load CDN for Static & Dynamic Content
20. 8. USE SERVICES, DON’T REINVENT THE WHEEL ENTERPRISE APPS DEVELOPMENT & OPERATIONSMOBILE SERVICESAPP SERVICESANALYTICS Data Warehousing Hadoop/ Spark Streaming Data Collection Machine Learning Elastic Search Virtual Desktops Sharing & Collaboration Corporate Email Backup Queuing & Notifications Workflow Search Email Transcoding One-click App Deployment Identity Sync Single Integrated Console Push Notifications DevOps Resource Management Application Lifecycle Management Containers Triggers Resource Templates TECHNICAL & BUSINESS SUPPORT Account Management Support Professional Services Training & Certification Security & Pricing Reports Partner Ecosystem Solutions Architects MARKETPLACE Business Apps Business Intelligence DatabasesDevOps Tools NetworkingSecurity Storage Access Control Identity Management Key Management & Storage Monitoring & Logs Assessment & Reporting Resource & Usage Auditing SECURITY & COMPLIANCE Configuration Compliance Web Application Firewall HYBRID ARCHITECTURE Data Backups Integrated App Deployments Direct Connect Identity Federation Integrated Resource Management Integrated Networking API Gateway IoT Rules Engine Device Shadows Device SDKs Registry Device Gateway Streaming Data Analysis Business Intelligence Mobile Analytics Regions Availability Zones Points of Presence INFRASTRUCTURE CORE SERVICES Compute VMs, Auto-scaling, & Load Balancing Storage Object, Blocks, Archivals, Import/Export Databases Relational, NoSQL, Caching, Migration Networking VPC, DX, DNS CDN
21. AVOID UNDIFFERENTIATED HEAVY LIFTING Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS) Elastic Load Balancing Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS) Amazon ElastiCache Amazon Elastic MapReduce Amazon Simple Notification Service (SNS)
22. 9. USE CONSOLIDATED BILLING • Receive a single bill for all charges incurred across all linked accounts • Share RI discounts • Combine tiering beneﬁts
23. 10. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF AWS TOOLS AWS Trusted Advisor AWS EC2 Usage Reports
24. Follow us for m ore events & w ebinars @AWScloud for Global AWS News & Announcements @AWS_UKI for local AWS events & news @IanMmmm Ian Massingham — Technical Evangelist
Check out the following seven guidelines to help you optimize cloud costs with AWS. ... the AWS cloud can be a cost effective platform for your services if ...
This webinar will discuss strategies to help you save money in the AWS Cloud. From turning systems off at night, to implementing bidding strategies on the ...
AWS – Cost Optimisation 101 Adrian Cantrill. Trump University settles lawsuits for $25 million; A $1 trillion Texas oil find, and more news John C Abell
Overview of the cost savings, security, and performance features and benefits of AWS Trusted Advisor.
Make timely decisions. Everything related to AWS performance, alerts, usage and cost in one place . Monitor your Spend and Optimize your Amazon Cloud.
... Invent 2015 | (ISM402) Cost Optimization at Scale Amazon Web Services. ... Cost Optimisation on AWS - Duration: 43:33. Amazon Web Services ...
Cost Optimization on AWS. ... in a series of reports on our trip to and attendance of the AWS summit this ... with the subject of cost optimisation.
This recorded webinar discusses strategies that you can adopt to help you save money in the AWS Cloud. From turning systems off at night, to ...