Published on June 5, 2013
Watch a video recording of this webinar to see Daniel Burstein interview Eric Webb, Senior Marketing Direction, Corporate Marketing and Brand at McGladrey and answer questions from the audience. Click here to watch Access our other webinars
Join the conversation#SherpaWebinar
A discussion about McGladreys 300% increase in content productionContent Marketing
Today’s presentersDaniel BursteinDirector of Editorial ContentMECLABS@DanielBursteinEric WebbSenior Marketing Director, Corporate Marketing and BrandMcGladrey@cirewebb
Join the conversation#SherpaWebinar
Content Marketing: McGladrey’s 4‐step process increases content production 300%, Web traffic 100% – http://www.marketingsherpa.com/article/case‐study/marketing‐content‐production‐process‐website‐revampContent Marketing: How McGladrey built a strategy around content development –http://www.marketingsherpa.com/video/content‐creation‐b2b‐summit‐replayEvent Recap: MarketingSherpa B2B Summit 2012 –http://www.marketingsherpa.com/article/event‐wrap‐up/b2b‐summit‐2012Further Resources
ResultsMonthly VisitsWeb Visits Beginning of Year One 50,000Web Visits End of Year One 100,000Relative Difference 100%Maintained consistent traffic flow between 80,000‐100,000 (sometimes reach 130,000 visitors per month.)Added four newsletters, regular ‘Alerts’ by industry/service lineMaintained 5% email CTR and 19% social content CTRBit.ly links generated over 9,000 form fills
Results since 2009+ 100% Increase in web visits per month+ 300% Increase in content production + 60% Increase in content promotionMore value than you can measure: Created energy for SMEs to WANT to produce more contentIncreased productivity of writers by three times$400k attributed more revenue from one group, $2m from another*
Eric WebbSenior Director of Communications & BrandMcGladreyPast experience includes…Marketing Director, MyPoints.comDirector of Communications, Chicago White SoxEric Webb@cirewebb
Sept. 30 – Oct. 3, 2013SAN FRANCISCO
McGladrey is the 5th largest assurance, tax and consulting firm in the world, with 7000 employees, but was inconsistent in developing thought leadershipIncreasing Quality Content was Foundational
Focus EffortMeasurement 20%Golf Platform7%Transactions5%Government Relations6%60%Brand Launch2%Thought LeadershipExpertiseAdvocacyEmployer of ChoiceContent DependentActivities
The ChallengeIncrease Visits, Enhance ReputationNo content strategyStatic website designAd‐hoc production processNo real Production CoordinatorMeasurement but no reportingLimited tools
What does the research say?
2012 Lead Generation Benchmark Survey: Fielded January 2012, N=1,915Most effective for nurturing6%8%16%18%24%25%25%29%30%35%35%41%57%PodcastsInfographicsSelf‐promotional contentTeleprospecting callsVideosResearch‐based contentDirect mailBlog postsWebinarsThought leadership articlesWhitepapersSales callsEmail newsletters
Print advertisingSocial mediaMobile marketingDirect mailContentEmail marketingWebinarsOptimizationTradeshowsPPCSEO0%5%10%15%20%25%30%0% 5% 10% 15% 20% 25% 30% 35% 40%Degree of difficultyLevel of effectivenessCONTENT2012 Lead Generation Benchmark Survey: Fielded January 2012, N=1,915Inbound/Outbound: Difficulty vs. Effectiveness
3%4%6%9%13%14%14%19%23%24%27%29%17%19%17%29%32%33%38%44%39%44%46%45%59%59%60%57%49%52%46%32%37%30%24%23%Print advertisingTradeshowsDirect mailWebinarsPaid search (PPC)Mobile marketingMarketing technologyEmail marketingContent marketingSEOSocial mediaWebsite optimizationIncrease greatly Increase slightly No change2012 Lead Generation Benchmark Survey: Fielded January 2012, N=1,915Marketers’ expected changes to channel budgets
2012 Lead Generation Benchmark Survey: Fielded January 2012, N=1,915Marketers’ expected changes to channel budget3%4%6%9%13%14%14%19%23%24%27%29%17%19%17%29%32%33%38%44%39%44%46%45%59%59%60%57%49%52%46%32%37%30%24%23%Print advertisingTradeshowsDirect mailWebinarsPaid search (PPC)Mobile marketingMarketing technologyEmail marketingContent marketingSEOSocial mediaWebsite optimizationIncrease greatly Increase slightly No change
But it’s hard.Content works. It doesn’t have to be!
DRIVE Web and Content to Next LevelREDESIGN Website to Focus on ContentBUILDa Strategy Around ContentThree‐Factor Focus
Build a Strategy Around ContentDrive and expand reputation; Increase readership and visitors
Increase lead generationBuild a Strategy Around Content
Repackaging capabilities/extend useBuild a Strategy Around ContentJohn, I believe this is an important article for you to read…See our presentation and learn about…Maybe you saw us on…OrHeard our podcast interview of a client
Redesign the Website to Focus on Content• “About Us”• Content buried• Little promotion outside of site• “For them”• Up front• Consistent promotionBefore After
Drive Web and Content to the Next Levelbmdtechnowares.blogspot.com• A website that is more like a publication• Content is king and everything else is extra
The Approach: Let’s get tacticalRequires an Improved Production Process
• We had a bench system• Writers waited for next project• Not everyone was aware of resources• Those in “the know” always got first pick• Project Tracking was not deliberate nor centralizedBefore Production Redesign
Project Management Workflow and TransparencyProject Notification Form submitted by Nat’l MktgLeadersProject Kick‐off Call and project brief completedProject set‐up and assigned in Project Management platformWork Begins: Content & Graphic Design, Digital Media, Demand Generation, Social Media, PR, Advertising, etc. ImplementationTracking of Results –Analytics and Automation SoftwareIndustry/LOBGTMSThis is how marketing support requests are submitted to GTMS. Depending on project details selected, GTMS team leaders will be notified of the support request.MROI analysis with industry/LOB LeadersBest efforts will be made to align resources to specific LOB/ Industry, this may not always be possible unless teams are willing to adjust project due dates. NOTE: Project Tracker used to manage overall planning. Project Management platform used to manage GTMS support elements.GTMS Teams will review Project Tracker reports to plan for resources and manage workflow.Go To Market Services team members brief and/or advise on strategies, and help refine based on previous data and experience.Ongoing approvals from SMEs and Industry/LOB Leaders throughout process coordinated by National Marketing Leaders. YesNo – Single area of support needed – Small projectScheduled by Production ManagerMulti‐aspect GTMS project?
• Forms remove poor communication• You can educate• Help requesters think aheadStarting the Project
Asking the “Right” Questions Improves ContentSpecific questions force them to think beyond the immediate need and think about repackaging, web pages that should be linked, other types of media
Forms Help Educate Process, Timing and Expectations
1. Common project tracking system• Project management software/ platforms, spreadsheets, etc2. Keep it simple• Broad milestones, not every task detail• Calendar• Alerts when due dates approaching• Notes‐capable• Storage for files• Access to contractors3. System should help “push” people4. Monitor and report outCreate Project Transparency
• Align writers and other staff to specific practice or industry groups• Allows for better ideas and strategy• Creator can provide insights, timetables up front• Empowers knowledge about spaceAllow Content Creator to “Embed”
• Not all assignments are created equal• Different types of media require different levels of effort• We prioritize effort and align media to be usedAlign Project to Specific Level of EffortVideo • WebinarTraditional EventWhite PaperNewsletterCase StudyAudio PodcastBlog PostArticleHARDEASY
• Don’t create a Cadillac when what you need is a Chevy• More, good content will outperform “beauty” content• Think about the buying cycle and what content aligns to what stage• Simple, direct efforts like editing, articles and white papers make the most sense• Audio podcasts, case studies and blog posts are best internally“N” = To use External or Internal ResourceN
• Don’t create a Cadillac when what you need is a Chevy• More, good content will outperform “beauty” content• Think about the “buy‐cycle” and what content aligns to what stage• Simple, direct efforts like editing, white papers, articles and white papers make the most sense• Audio podcasts, case studies and blog posts are best internally“N” = To use External or Internal ResourceNCOST‐SAVING TIPSWhen looking for freelance writers, don’t only look at “market segment” experienced writers. Seek out strong journalists; those good at interviewing and creating a story.Journalists are trained to learn a space and are great “ghost” writers.Leverage Craigslist to look for contractors and state an hourly rate and total project cost by type of media (i.e. $300 for white paper).Dictate what you will pay for talent.
Archiving content helps repackaging efforts and organizes content: Search by topic, author, industry, service line, keywords, buy‐cycle alignment.Archive your Content
• Keeps “creators” and subject matter experts (SME) engaged• Correlate web visits to specific content to pick up trends Report Results
Sample Webcast CampaignReport ResultsPage Live on WebsiteMuse NewsletterBlog PostBlog PostMETRICS June July August SeptemberTotal site visits 728 836 994Average visits/day 24 27 32Campaign StatsPage Published: June 22Visits: 81Ave. Time on Page: 5:42 minutes
Reporting Also Creates Competition
Better Production ProcessImplement project managementDevelop project ‘form’Create project transparencyAlign and embed writersAlign projects/people to specific effortDetermine internal vs. external resourcesArchive content and report results1234567
Tools and Resources
• Forms – Formalizes request, educates• Project Tracker/management – Helps keep productivity moving and allows for manager to have transparent view of projects being held up (MS Project, Basecamp, Access, Excel)• Content Directory – Excel, Access or formal CMSTools and Resources
• Google Alerts and Yahoo Alerts• Google Trends: Search trends, see search volume by country and region.• Google Insights: Compare search volume patterns across specific regions, categories and time frames• Wordtracker Keywords: Displays average daily search volume of keyword or phrase.• Yahoo! Keyword Tool: Displays search volumes for specific keywords and phrases for previous month’s search data. • FACEBOOK LEXICON: Displays volume of wall postings for specific term(s). Similar to Google Trends. Not great with obscure terms. • Google Keyword Tool: Generate keyword ideas for related keywords and search volumes. Tools and Resources
Sept. 30 – Oct. 3, 2013SAN FRANCISCO
Canvas Prints at Affordable Prices make you smile.Visit http://www.shopcanvasprint...
30 Días en Bici en Gijón organiza un recorrido por los comercios históricos de la ...
Con el fin de conocer mejor el rol que juega internet en el proceso de compra en E...
With three established projects across the country and seven more in the pipeline,...
Retailing is not a rocket science, neither it's walk-in-the-park. In this presenta...
Watch a video recording of this ... A discussion about McGladrey's 300% increase in ... study/marketing‐content‐production‐process‐website‐revamp
Content Marketing: A discussion about McGladrey's 300% increase in content production ... Content Marketing Unwrapped ...
Content Marketing: A discussion about McGladrey's 300% increase in content production ... Content Marketing: ...
Content Marketing. Video Production. Fuel ... Purecontent is the world’s original content agency offering a complete service, from the planning stage to ...
Selling Increase engagement by up to 300% with ... create the videos and have to go to production houses that ... give us your content, ...
We are your one source for online marketing resources, training, ... Content Marketing | Let's Get Real. Fri., ... MarketingProfs uses single
Vidpow is your video marketing ... as an online content marketing and lead ... get our customers over 300 million views and increase revenue by using ...
... Content Marketing Software ... VPs of Marketing and Content Professionals globally to help transform ... the places where discussions are ...
Marketing Articles. ... Being able to effectively increase your online conversion rate is among the major factors ... Content Marketing Staffing in ...