Published on February 27, 2016
1. “ ”
2. Presented by- Bisshojit Biswas Student of pharmacy, [Bachelor of Pharmacy] Final year.
3. Course Name- Complementary & Alternative Medicine. Course Teacher- Rajia Sultana Niju Senior Lecturer
4. Medicines refers to a preparation containing therapeutic agents Which is used in treatment cure & mitigation of various diseases & injuries
5. Medicinal plant has similar properties as conventional pharmaceutical drugs which have been used to cure or lessen symptoms from an illness. According to WHO, “A medicinal plant is any plant which, in one or more of its organs, contains substances that can be used for therapeutic purpose or which are precursors for the synthesis of useful drugs.”
6. Medicinal plants have aided our survival from ancient time. Allopathic medicine has only existed for the last 2 centuries. 80% of the planet uses plants as their primary source of medicine. In the records, the study of herbs dates back over 5,000 years to the sumerians.
7. The earliest mentioned medicinal use of plant is found in Rig Vada ( 4500- 1600 BC). In 1500 BC, the ancient Egyptian’s “Ebers papyrus” contain information on 850 plant medicine. The first Chinese pharmacopeia appeared around 1122 BC .
8. For the treatment of majority of population in developing countries. Medicinal plants are a feature of traditional health system. Medicinal Plants act as source of traditional medicine.
9. Ayurvedic is the science of life. Ayurvedic medicine, which is a natural system of treatment The resin has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for centuries to treat a variety of ailments
10. Health care and botany have evolved as inseparable domains of human activity. Medicinal plant products are still of paramount importance in traditional health care systems of developing countries. E.g. Turmeric is being used as a traditional medicine for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, skin cancer, small pox etc.
11. Chemical' drugs have largely replaced plant products in mainstream medicine. Over 25% prescriptions in developed countries and 60% in eastern European countries uses products with higher plant constituents.
12. anticonceptives, steroids muscle relaxants quinine and artemisinin
13. Potential of the Plant kingdom to provide new drugs. Finding of new medicinal plants which benefits the global community. Adequate quantities of medicinal substances can be obtained from plant. Has significant economic value.
14. • Rainforests contain no less than 60% of all higher plant species. • Plants have developed large numbers of chemical substances through evolution. • They have highly complex molecular structures.
15. Natural drugs & medicinal plants yield important economic returns. The Pharmaceutical industry uses tropical rainforest as a source of chemicals for new drug development. E.g. Research is being done over thousand of plant extracts from all over the world to find activity against cancer & HIV.
16. With the development of human knowledge, scientists have isolated chemical constituents from plants. Through biological & pharmacological tests, therapeutically active compound have been identified. E.g. ancient use Datura plants have led to isolation of hysocine, atropine, cinchona bark to quinine & quinidine.
17. The list of plant derived substances occurring is very long now. E.g. drug like atropine, digoxin, L-dopa, papain, morphine, emetine etc. are also plant derived. There are other plant derived substances that are used as drug or necessary component in many preparations. E.g. volatile oils, cardiac glycosides, camphor etc.
18. Marijuana: It has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, insect repellent, antiseptic, antibacterial, expectorant, fever reduction, pain relief effects. Poppy: It is an effective nervine. Give relief from nervousness & tension. Give relief from pain.
19. Blood Flower: It is a heart stimulant & worm expellant. Korean mint: It is famous for soothing headaches, fighting nausea, calming the stomach, & reducing nervousness & fatigue. It is a fairly effective antiviral.
20. Has more than 500 medicinal plant species. For example-
21. Novel structures of biologically active compounds helps the chemist to synthesis similar or more potent semi synthetic compounds. Synthetic drugs are often prepared by structural modification of biologically active plant derived compound. Various derivates of plant constituents with similar pharmacological action prepared by chemist to be used as drugs.
22. 1) In USA, in 1980 alone, consumers paid 8 million dollar for the prescription drugs in which the APIs were derived from plants. 2) 47% of some 300 million new prescriptions in America in 1961 contained, One or more active ingredients & one of them is of natural origin. 3) About 33% of the drugs produced in the developed countries are derived from plants. 4) More than 47% of all drugs used in Russia are obtained from botanical sources.
23. Many Pharmaceuticals have a long history of use of herbal remedies, including opium, aspirin, digitalis The population of Asia & African countries currently use herbal medicine as their primary source of medicine. Herbal medicines are still popular because of their low cost & availability.
24. Thank you
Title: Complementary and Alternative Medicine 1 Complementary and Alternative Medicine Ginny Black Summer 2009 STEER Harlingen South Texas Environmental
Title: Complementary and Alternative therapy 1 Complementary and Alternative therapy. Tracey Burgoyne; 2 Also Known As 3 Complementary Therapy and the ...
Complementary medicine. Alternative medicine. Integrative medicine. What do these terms mean? NCCIH explains in this fact sheet. Complementary, alternative ...
Complementary & Alternative Medicine A guide for people with cancer U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES National Institutes of Health National ...
Integrated Medicine Research Lecture Series; All Training Information. News & Events. Press Releases; ... Complementary, Alternative, or Integrative Health.
Complementary and alternative methods are often appealing because ... The decision to use alternative or complementary methods is an ... medicine, is the ...
The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine: Research on Paradigm, Practice, ...
Alternative medicine; fringe medicine, unconventional medicine, unorthodox medicine, heterodox medicine, complementary medicine, integrative ...
All about complementary and alternative medicine, ... Complementary and alternative medicines (CAMs) are treatments that fall outside of mainstream ...
Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine : eCAM Vols. 1 to 2016 ... , U.S. National Library of Medicine 8600 Rockville ...