Published on February 18, 2014
From Sorbead IndIa
• Why It Is Required ? • Goods are very frequently subject to climatic stresses while being transported. These occurs even during storage and whiles containers are being packed . Climatic stresses are caused by changing climatic conditions during sea route and mainly while passing through climatic zones. • All the closed containers protect the cargo against external climatic influences. Even though the boxes are protected against the external influences, condensation may occur inside.
• The relative humidity in the container is influenced by the moisture that is bought in to on loading , and any subsequent change in temperature. • Sources of moisture are the enclosed air in the container , the cargo itself, it’s packaging and the stowage material. • Some cargos emits a considerable amount of moisture over a longer period , while some cargos absorbs moisture.
Humid air enters container when cargo is loaded and enclosed with container cargo.
• A container is a closed system with it’s own unique “ weather” inside. It differs from the warehouse in that the variation in temperature is much greater. It is not unusual to have containers wherein temperatures range from freezing to 60-70C during the course of a single voyage. • In a container a fast temperature change of 5-10C is often enough to cause problems. Water will condense on the coolest available surface, which is often the container ceiling or walls. From there it may drip down onto the cargo and cause damage – “container rain”. At other times it condenses on the cargo, say on the inside of the pallet wrap, – “cargo sweat”-, which is usually even more damaging.
Moisture damage is caused by: • Condensation : - In the ceiling and on the walls of the container. - On the cargo ( Cargo Sweat) • Prolonged periods of elevated humidity • Condensation takes place on the coldest available surface, often in container ceiling. • Liners protect against container rain, but not against humidity. • It is the Relative Humidity that matters.
• Even without any condensation, elevated humidity over a period of time is sufficient to cause damage. Many metals will corrode or discolour at a rather modest level of humidity , 60-70%. At higher levels of humidity, 80%90%, moulds will grow, labels will peel and corrugated boxes will start to soften. • The Relative Humidity (RH) is a percentage measure of how much moisture the air holds as compared to the maximum amount of moisture air at that temperature can hold. That means that completely dry air has a RH of 0%. The RH can never be more than 100%, or any excess moisture will rain out. There is little danger of damage to anything if the RH is below 50% or so
• The quantity of moisture that can be contain in cubic meter depends on the Relative Humidity & Temperatures • High Temperature = High quality of moisture in air. • Low Temperature = Low quality of moisture in air. • Warm air can hold more moisture than cold air, as water to remain suspended in the air needs energy. • That is why phenomenon of condensation occurs in presence of high humidity ,when the temperature falls down the moisture can’t remain suspended in the air.
When the temperature drops, the pressure in the container drops, and air with ambient moisture content enters the container (breathing-in). When the temperature goes up, the opposite happens (breathing-out).
• Threat to your cargo due to moisture damage : Like * Mold * Mildew * Fungus * Corrosion * Loose Carton & Peeling Labels * Bed Smells
• You need Desiccant ? • To control the moisture due to day to day breathing in and breathing out . • What to use the easily available Silica Gel ? OR Advance Container Desiccant Like ?????
• Silica Gel Bags are designed for enclosed sealed packaging where the humidity is limited (Static). • Cargo Dry Pak is a container desiccant designed to adsorbs moisture in large containers with a volume of 1170 CFT, 2385 CFT & 2690 CFT and the humidity is ( Dynamic) . • In Silica Gel Bag active substance is SIO2 ( Silicon Dioxide) and having a adsorption capacity of 30 % of it’s own weight. • In Cargo Dry Pak active substance is Calcium Chloride , Bentonite Clay and Starch and having a adsorption capacity of 100 % of it’s own weight.
• Silica Gel is having a weak adsorption capacity at Low RH & High Temperature . • Cargo Dry Pak is works better even at LOW RH & High Temperature. • Silica Gel contains DMF ( Dimethyl Fumarate ) biocide which is banned in many European countries as per the adopted decision 2009/251/EC . • Packing of Silica Gel Bag material is fabric or non woven , where the strength and the one way permeability of moisture is doubtful.
• Cargo Dry Pak is DMF free and is USFDA approved • container desiccant , hence ideal choice to be used in pharmaceutical and food industries. • Because of Low Adsorption Capacity more number of Silica Gel Bag require to control the humidity through out the voyage of the shipment . • Cargo Dry Pak because of higher adsorption capacity number of paks required will be less. • Packing of Cargo Dry Pak 500 gm is Tyvek & 1500 gm are Polyester Rayon Blend which offers higher strength & one way permeability.
• Advantages By Using Cargo Dry Pak : 1. Assured protection from moisture . 2. Meets all the Environmental requirement of Developed Countries. 3. Less Number of Paks required , hence economical but effective option . 4. Easy way of Installation . 5. No fear from rejection of material from overseas client with respect to moisture .
... Silica Gel Packets, Silica Gel Canisters, ... Container & Cargo Dry; Flower Drying Silica Gel; Loose Silica Gel (Bulk) Moisture Barrier Bags & Sealers;
Packaging and Shipping Supplies Wholesale Boxes, Bags, ... Cargo Dry Pak Cargo Dry Pak is a ... Silica Gel, Indicating Silica ...
Container Cargo Desiccant, ... Tags: Desiccant | Silica Gel Desiccant | Cargo Desiccant. Compare. ... Tags: Cargo Dry Paks ...
Cargo Dry Pack SDS; Silica Gel ... Silica Gel Tyvek Unit Paks; ... Determine the amount of desiccant required using the “Desiccant Requirement Chart ...
Silica Gel for Residential & Commercial ... Moisture Barrier Bags, and Heat Sealers. All of our Silica Gel is DMF and Cobalt ... Container & Cargo Dry:
Superdry DrySac - Desiccant for Cargo ... at one end for convenient suspension of the desiccant bag. ... performance of high grade silica gel.
Dry-packs indicating silica gel packets do not contain ... Waterproof Pouch,2 Pack Smartdoo Waterproof Bag with Waist Strap,Best Dry Bag for iPhone 6s ...
... Silica Gel/Carbon, etc Canister Desiccants ... Shipping Container Desiccants Cargo DryPak is a ... Moisture Barrier and ESD Bags Dry Pak ...
Dry Pak Industries, Inc. l 16055 Ventura Blvd., ... * UNIT BAGS Silica Gel Beaded (Tyvek) Clay ... PILLOW PAKS CONTAINER SIZE CUBIC CM 40 60