Published on June 27, 2016
1. Essential Research Toolkit™ Company Profile Template & Sources ©Insight Information Solutions, LLC 1 All Rights Reserved Company Profile Template & Sources By: Copyright Notice: All material in this document is, unless otherwise stated, the property of Insight Information Solutions, LLC. Copyright and other intellectual property laws protect these materials. Reproduction or retransmission of the materials, in whole or in part, in any manner, without the prior written consent of the copyright holder, is a violation of copyright law. A single copy of the materials available through this document may be made, solely for personal, noncommercial use. Individuals must preserve any copyright or other notices contained in or associated with them. Users may not distribute such copies to others, whether or not in electronic form, whether or not for a charge or other consideration, without prior written consent of the copyright holder of the materials. Contact information for requests for permission to reproduce or distribute materials available through this document are listed below: Jennifer Brown Wegman Insight Information Solutions, LLC email@example.com
2. Essential Research Toolkit™ Company Profile Template & Sources ©Insight Information Solutions, LLC 2 All Rights Reserved Company Profile Template At the top of the page, put the following: Name of Company: Date Researched: Then, add sections as they apply from the below list. Not all sections will apply to every company. Pertinent information will vary based on industry and operations. Business Overview Basic description of what the company does. Include headquarters location and number of employees (and whether unionized) Properties Include branch locations, if any Subsidiaries Include subsidiary information, if any Financial Performance Summarize the company’s financial performance, if available. At minimum, try to find estimated revenues. Include other metrics as applicable (especially for public companies). If there is a reason for a big profit or loss, note it here Ownership Include top holders of stock if a public company. If private but owned by a private equity group, this is a good place to offer brief info on the PEG Outlook for the Future Include any plans for the future the company may release publically Key Issues What are the company’s biggest issues? (i.e. customer concentration, exchange rates, pending major litigation, information security) Add if you know them. Transaction History Public companies release information on major transactions. Note it here. If you find press releases on private investments in private companies, note them. Business Background Great section for if the company has a storied history.
3. Essential Research Toolkit™ Company Profile Template & Sources ©Insight Information Solutions, LLC 3 All Rights Reserved Recent News Include news articles for the past 12 months, at minimum. Include only relevant articles. Be sure to note the source and date of the article so you can refer to it later! Key Developments Alternate way of summarizing major company events. Can be used with or in place of news section. Litigation Check for recent company litigation. Public companies disclose major litigation. Check PACER for federal filings. Check state courts (if online). Government Involvement/Violations Review OSHA Establishment Search, EPA ECHO, FMCSA SAFER, the SEC/EDGAR, NLRB, USASpending.gov and Opensecrets.org for information. Leadership List company management and directors Competitors / Suppliers List major competitors and/or suppliers Basic Industry Information Provide a basic industry overview. Note the company NAICS or SIC code, if you can find it.
4. Essential Research Toolkit™ Company Profile Template & Sources ©Insight Information Solutions, LLC 4 All Rights Reserved The source list below contains a minimum list of sources you should check with each profile you do. Sources vary by industry. Contact us for industry-specific sources. Source Type Cost Purpose Notes Avention Business $$ Premium database for detailed company info Search for company Better Business Bureau Free Deep Web Free Notes consumer complaints Search for company Bizjournals.com Newspaper Free Check for local business news Use the search function for your company Capital IQ Business $$$ Premium database for complete company info Search for company EPA ECHO Government Free Check for environmental issues Google for EPA Echo. Search your company FMCSA SAFER Government Free Check to see if company has trucks Google FMCSA SAFER. Search your company FreeERISA.com Free Deep Web Free Provides retirement plan information Search for company Google Search Engine Free Internet Search Check a minimum of 10 pages Guidestar.org Free Deep Web Free Provides details and financials of nonprofits Use if looking up a nonprofit Hoover's Business $$ Premium database for detailed company info Search for company Law.com Legal Free Check legal issues Search for company Local Newspapers Newspaper Free Check for local news Google for town + newspapers. Review site of local paper Manta.com Free Deep Web Free Check for company listing and rev / ee Search for company NLRB Government Free Check for union issues Google NLRB. Choose cases & decisions. Search your company Opensecrets.org Free Deep Web Free Provides lobbying information Search for company OSHA Government Free Check for OSHA complaints/inspections Google for OSHA Establishment Search. Search your company
5. Essential Research Toolkit™ Company Profile Template & Sources ©Insight Information Solutions, LLC 5 All Rights Reserved Source Type Cost Purpose Notes Owler Free Deep Web Free Company Info Search for company PACER Legal $ Check federal court cases. Small fee. Search for company Patents/Trademarks Government Free Checks intellectual property. Complex searches should be done by a professional Search for company Pitchbook Business $$ Premium database for detailed company info Search for company SEC (EDGAR) Government Free Check SEC filings for public companies Google for EDGAR. Public companies will appear State Courts Government Free / $ Check litigation Search for company State Gov't Agencies Government Free Provides state gov't information. Check by agency Check state corporation website and any others of interest depending on the industry. State Procurement/Contract Website Government Free Provides state contract information Search for company The Deal Business Free / $ Check transaction history/news Search for company USASpending.gov Government Free Provides federal contract information Search for company Yahoo Search Engine Free Internet Search Check a minimum of 10 pages