Published on July 5, 2016
1. 1Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation MT 02.04.15MT 02.07.15 Accelerating Communication ServicesTM Moving Beyond the Hype: Taking SDN and NFV from Early Trials to Hyperscale Deployments CommunicAsia 2016 Ray Adensamer, Director of Marketing, Radisys June 2, 2016
2. 2Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation Migration to Software Centric Telecom Network Traditional Telco Networks • Proprietary Hardware, Packet Forwarding • Closed Software, Distributed Control Session Border Controller WAN Acceleration Load Balancer Core Router Tester/QoE Monitor RAN Controller SGSN/GGSN Firewall Software-Centric Telecom Networks • Commodity Hardware, Flow-based Forwarding • Open Software, Centralized Control Management & Orchestration (MANO) SDN Controller VNF VNF VNF … OpenFlow Application Layer Control Layer Infrastructure Layer Networking Plane
3. 3Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation Agenda • Controlling millions of packet flows under SDN orchestration • Managing thousands of VNFs in an NFV architecture • Make it real – an overview of the Mobile CORD initiative. • Considerations for virtualized media processing and transcoding
4. 4Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation • Carrier-scale to millions of subscriber flows • Wire-speed service delivery • Unparalleled programmability • Unmatched flexibility and speed to time to market • Real-time analytics for intelligent enforcement • Latency sensitive stateful flow awareness Requirements for SDN/NFV Transformation Mandatory Foundation For SDN/NFV SERVICE AVAILABILITY SERVICE FLEXIBILITY SERVICE VISIBILITY
5. 5Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation Radisys FlowEngine Intelligent Traffic Distribution for SDN and NFV Check out the FlowEngine animated video, plus other videos at www.radisys.com/videos
6. 6Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation FlowEngine = SDN-based Network Services Platform ~1.2 Tbps intelligent data plane processing Millions+ of OpenFlow table entries Millions+ subscriber match table entries Millions of IP forwarding entries 100G line rate switch with OpenFlow control Flow Classification and Forwarding Service Functions Chaining Flow Load Balancing MANAGEMENT AND ORCHESTRATION L2-L3 Network Services Flow Analytics SDN CONTROL INTERFACES Radisys FlowEngine™ CLOUD ORCHESTRATION SDN CONTROLLERS DEVOPS TOOLS FlowEngine™ running on 3rd Party Intel x86 Platform FlowEngine™ running on Radisys TDE Platform x86 Platform Hypervisor TDE Platform 10G/40G/100G Switching
7. 7Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation Agenda • Controlling millions of packet flows under SDN orchestration • Managing thousands of VNFs in an NFV architecture • Make it real – an overview of the Mobile CORD initiative. • Considerations for virtualized media processing and transcoding
8. 8Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation Supported Open Source Software Open Compute Platform Architecture DCEngine The Engine of the HyperScale DataCenter Requirements for Hyperscale Data Center Telecom Operational and Equipment Practices
9. 9Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation Designed and Integrated Solution Optimized Rack + Up to 2.4 PB Storage per rack Modular Sled Architecture Up to 152 Xeon Processor per rack Industry Leading Density + Integrated and Supported Open Source Software = Radisys® is a registered trademark of Radisys. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. DCEngine
10. 10Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation Agenda • Controlling millions of packet flows under SDN orchestration • Managing thousands of VNFs in an NFV architecture • Make it real – an overview of the Mobile CORD initiative. • Considerations for virtualized media processing and transcoding
11. 11Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation Introduction to M-CORD CORD = Central Office Re-architected as a Data center • combines NFV, SDN, and the elasticity of commodity clouds to bring datacenter economics and cloud agility to the Telco Central Office. • Major service providers like AT&T, SK Telecom, Verizon, China Unicom and NTT Communications are already supporting CORD. Mobile CORD (M-CORD) • Mission to enable 5G mobile services on CORD architecture
12. 12Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation Mobile Edge Services
13. 13Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation M-CORD Architecture
14. 14Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation Collaborators for M-CORD Proof of Concept
15. 15Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation Agenda • Controlling millions of packet flows under SDN orchestration • Managing thousands of VNFs in an NFV architecture • Make it real – an overview of the Mobile CORD initiative. • Considerations for virtualized media processing and transcoding
16. 16Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation Data Processing Characteristics in the Network Signalling and Control Applications • Lots of variation in processing requirements • Bursty traffic • Trickle of packet volumes (compared to data) • EXCELLENT candidate for virtualization Data Plane Processing Applications • Fewer functions to be processed really fast… • Very stringent requirements for delay/jitter • Firehose of packet volumes • LESS OBVIOUS candidate for virtualization
17. 17Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation Growth in HD Audio and Video Transcoding Complexity 0 5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 Audio 0 5 10 15 20 25 H.261 H.263 H.264 VP9 H.265 VP9 Video RelativeComputationalComplexity RelativeComputationalComplexity VP8 VoIP Era Today Coming Soon VoIP Era Today Coming Soon Reducing bandwidth while maintaining/improving quality comes at the cost of computational complexity
18. 18Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation Platform Options for Transcoding: Software vs Hardware Source: Evolution of Transcoding Architecture in the Network eBook from TMN and Radisys, available for download http://go.radisys.com/ebook-ms-transcoding_ebook.html
19. 19Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation Integrated vs. Adjunct Media Processing Combined SBC or MGW with integrated media processing Signaling Media Processing RTP Packet Processing & Security Combined SBC or MGW with adjunct media processing Signaling Media Processing RTP Packet Processing & Security Strong candidate for NFV deployment Less obvious candidate for NFV deployment
20. 20Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation MPTD SC EP PSMPTD SC EP PS Example: SBC supporting 75K transcoding sessions Up to 40% CAPEX savings Up to 60% recurring OPEX savings in footprint, power, cooling 5x SBCs 75K sessions of Transcoding 1x SBC 75K narrowband audio sessions Restricted to 15k Sessions of Signaling 15k Sessions of HD Audio Transcoding 75K HD audio sessions 1x SBCs + 1x Adjunct Transcoder +60K sessions of supplemental HD Audio and HD Video Transcoding Radisys MediaEngine Adjunct Transcoding +or… 15k Sessions of HD Audio Transcoding 75K HD audio sessions 75K Sessions of Signaling 75K Sessions of Signaling
21. 21Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation Agenda • Controlling millions of packet flows under SDN orchestration • Managing thousands of VNFs in an NFV architecture • Make it real – an overview of the Mobile CORD initiative. • Considerations for virtualized media processing and transcoding • Summary
22. 22Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation Radisys – Accelerating Communication Services DCEngine™ hosting services in the cloud • Hyperscale Data Center Infrastructure for Communication Service Providers FlowEngine™ accelerating traffic into the cloud • Intelligent Traffic Distribution System for SDN and NFV MediaEngine™ accelerating services from the cloud • IMS MRF and Media Processing Solutions for VoLTE, VoWiFi, WebRTC, and transcoding CellEngine™ accelerating access to the cloud • 3G/LTE small cell protocol software, core network software, and integration services 1/5th2-3x Performance / $ vs competition Footprint vs competition 3G/LTE LICENSES 80+ 30+ VoLTETrials and Deployments 6+Media Processing million PORTS DEPLOYED
23. 23Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation Radisys Solutions for High Performance SDN and NFV High volume standard servers (DCEngine Compute Sled) High volume standard storage (DCEngine Storage Sled) Whitebox switches with flow switching software (FlowEngine) Application Layer Control Layer Infrastructure Layer Management & Orchestration (MANO) SDN Controller Virtualized Network Functions (VNFs) running on NFV infrastructure (NFVi) Networking Plane Business Applications VNF … OpenFlow Inbound Packet Flows Outbound Packet Flows FlowEngineFlowEngine FlowEngine FlowEngine FlowEngine FlowEngine MediaEngine vMRF CellEngine C-RAN
24. 24Copyright© 2016 – Radisys Corporation Summary Significant transformation in delivering telecom services underway • From telco HW in central office, to open platforms and virtualized software in data centers Radisys products and capabilities well aligned with industry trends • 25+ year expertise in platforms and integrated software systems Come Visit Radisys during CommunicAsia 2016 BL2-07
Moving Beyond the Hype: EIC 2016 Blockchain Seminar; ... May 09, 2016 TIME : 09:00 ... What is it that creates such a fast and strong hype around the ...
What is it that creates such a fast and strong hype ... Moving Beyond the Hype: EIC 2016 Blockchain ... the Hype: EIC 2016 Blockchain Seminar; Moving ...
In line with this CommunicAsia 2016’s theme of “Connecting to the Future ... Moving Beyond the Hype: Taking SDN and NFV from Early Trials to Hyperscale ...
SEPTEMBER 21-22, 2016. Montreal, Canada. SCROLL DOWN. Intro. Moving Beyond the Hype. COMMERCIAL APPLICATIONS FOR UNMANNED AERIAL VEHICLES (UAVs) CONFERENCE
Moving Beyond the Hype: Blockchain Seminar ... What is it that creates such a fast and strong hype around the blockchain ... 1/6/2016 3:47:27 ...
... especially when moving beyond the Industry 4.0 umbrella term and ... Industry 4.0 after the initial hype . 8 ... In January 2016, ...
... 4 minutes Moving Beyond the Hype: How to Think Practically about Blockchain Moving Beyond the Hype: ... 2016 Insights.
Thursday May 26, 2016 - 8:00 am IP-Tribe Selects Radisys to Deliver Next-Generation Transcoding Solutions for Mobile Operators in Southeast Asia. Radisys®
Radisys is a market leader enabling wireless infrastructure solutions for telecom, aerospace and defense applications.
Moving beyond disruption in 2016. Topic. Home; Networking; Mobility; Storage; Security; Applications; UCS; Data Center; Cloud; IM Awards; Readers' Choice ...