Published on October 23, 2014
1. Changing Dynamics of School Libraries October 24, 2014 Teacher Librarians of NL Special Interest Council Professional Development Workshop
2. According to the Canadian Library Association (CLA)… …the focus of the library program in the past was on building strong collections of resources and assisting users to find and use them effectively, the goal now is to build learning communities and make connections among learners, thus facilitating knowledge creation in the school community. Canadian Library Association. 2014. Leading Learning http://clatoolbox.ca/casl/slic/llsop.pdf
3. CLA acknowledges the reality might be different… Our school libraries should reflect our common values of equity, diversity and cultural identity as well as the best approaches in the educational and library professions. They should be contextually relevant to student need and success… Canadian Library Association. 2014. Leading Learning http://clatoolbox.ca/casl/slic/llsop.pdf
4. What is driving the changes we are seeing in school libraries? • Publishing industry (print / electronic) • New formats (hybrid texts, graphic novels) • Multimodalities (digital, print, video) • Technology adaptations (tablets, interactive white boards) • Budget constraints • Differentiated instruction • 21st Century Learning (integration, collaboration, inquiry) • Globalization / Cultural Diversity • Inclusion / Individualization
5. What changes have you seen in YOUR library? Use the orange/pink post-its and indicate 1 or more positive changes in your library/learning commons. Use the blue/green post-its and indicate 1 or more negative changes in your library/learning commons.
6. How can you help bring about positive change? You don’t need to be a superhero, but you do need to consider some engagement strategies: • Inquiry-based research • Collaborative problem solving • Community literacy programming
7. Inquiry – The Stripling Model Stripling, Barbara. 2008. http://www.teachingbooks.net/content/InquiringMindsWantToKnow-Stripling.pdf
8. Problem-Based Learning Model Beall, Lisa. 2014. http://lisabeall.bgsu.wikispaces.net/Inquiry+and+Problem+Based+Internet+Resources
9. Community Literacy Programming Community Literacy is an engagement strategy that draws on your local community and encourages: • Place-based learning • Intergenerational programming • Intent participation • Service learning
10. Community Literacy Programming Community Literacy evolves when members of the community are given opportunities to gather, talk, and share expertise. It has the added benefits of: • raising the profile of your library & school • being cost-effective • providing networking opportunities
11. Community Literacy Programming Ideas IFLA Sister Libraries Program Example: Let’s Dream Together http://sisterlibraries.wordpress.com/2011/02/07/lets-dream-together/
12. Community Literacy Programming Ideas StoryWalk® Example: Annapolis Valley Regional Library http://www.alsc.ala.org/blog/2012/06/walking-the-storywalk/
13. Community Literacy Programming Ideas Could a Community Programming initiative work in YOUR community?
14. Community Literacy Programming Ideas Want to review some of the sources shared in this presentation: http://www.slideshare.net/bethmaddigan
... Home › Library ... workshop on research policy ... The changing dynamics of global ...
DRAFT. How and Why Are Libraries Changing? ... The ultimate goal is to facilitate understanding of how and why libraries are changing and better position ...
2011 AFSCME Education Department – Effective Leadership Team Dynamics ... Tell them this workshop is about ... to changing circumstances ...
Changing students, ... Understanding the dynamics of adaptation to a changing student ... conducted at the high school level where concerns about student ...
... Library Workshop for Leadership Personnel, seventh in a series of summer workshops, focuses on school library ... Changing School Library; ...
Details of the free workshops and training courses run by British Library information ... These workshops will enable you to carry out effective research ...
Educational institutions can get free software and support to use Microsoft Dynamics in the ... workshops ... Dynamics can help schools gain ...
Academic Libraries; 7. Library Technology; 8. ... It discusses how technology is changing the fundamental forms of information; ... In school libraries, ...
LIBRARY AS LEARNING RESOURCE CENTRE ... The definitions of ‘school library’ given ... workshops, meetings, lectures, ...
The Dynamics of Religious Pluralism in a Changing ... The conference will be accompanied by workshop sessions of 5 workshops each day that ... Library; YLC ...