Published on June 2, 2016
1. Open Source Software And Collaborative Projects Models, Value Chain, Strategy Cédric Thomas, OW2 Net Futures 2016 Brussels, April 21, 2016
2. Apr 21, 2016 22016, Cedric Thomas Agenda Three Free software and open source models Four lessons from the software value chain Five recommendations for a proactive OSS strategy for Collaborative Projects * OSS = Open Source Software
3. Apr 21, 2016 32016, Cedric Thomas Developers Entrepreneurs Co-Innovators Three Models
4. Source: http://www.ow2.org/xwiki/bin/download/OW2Con-2011/Program/OSS-MarketOverview-M-Poujol-OW2con.pdf
5. Apr 21, 2016 62016, Cedric Thomas
6. Apr 21, 2016 72016, Cedric Thomas
7. Apr 21, 2016 82016, Cedric Thomas
8. Apr 21, 2016 92016, Cedric Thomas
10. 132016, Cedric Thomas → Technical Efficiency Access to R&D resources Technical excellence Peer Review State of the art Global debugging
11. ￩ 1983 1997 2010
12. www.ow2.org© OW2 2015 15 Commercial Open SourceFree Software
13. How do you make moneyHow do you make money with free software?!?with free software?!? I'm not in the charity business.I'm not in the charity business. Why should I care?Why should I care?
14. SystemsSystems IntegrationIntegration Training ConsultingConsulting Add-onsAdd-ons SolutionsSolutions CertificationCertification SupportSupport On-LineOn-Line ServicesServices SuitesSuites PackagingPackaging ExpertiseExpertise Product Insurance Service UpdatesUpdates
16. 212015, Cedric Thomas → Business Efficiency Reduced marketing costs Free community expertise Market share Profitability € £ $ ¥
17. ￩ 1983 1997 2010
18. www.ow2.org© OW2 2015 23
19. 252016, Cedric Thomas Private, Integrated platform Business powered by open source
20. 262016, Cedric Thomas Private, Integrated platform Open Source Commons Business powered by open source Ecosystem-based innovation Android Chrome Bootstrap Kafka Open Compute Future Internet hadoop
21. 27© OW2 Consortium 2014 www.ow2.org
22. 282015, Cedric Thomas → Strategic Efficiency Time to market Shared R&D costs Joint market definition Reduced contract costs
23. ￩ 1983 1997 2010 openstack
24. Apr 21, 2016 302016, Cedric Thomas Code vs Product Research not market ready Open source governance IT industry support Four lessons from the Software Value Chain
25. Apr 21, 2016 312016, Cedric Thomas Software is Code
26. Apr 21, 2016 322016, Cedric Thomas What is a Software Product*? Developer Customer * When you want to sell it or do business with it, then it becomes a product
27. Apr 21, 2016 332016, Cedric Thomas What is a Software Product*? Developer Customer Documentation Upgrades Roadmap Training Etc. Pricing Contracts Support Expertise Packaging * It's not just code anymore, it's the whole value proposition
28. 342016, Cedric Thomas Research & Development Software Market Value Code POCs Use-cases Demonstrators Documentation Roadmap Upgrades Bug-fixing Training Support Packaging Case studies Collateral Pricing Contracts Early adopters Etc. Predictability Quality Sustainability Product & Marketing Open Source Governance Without the code, the rest does not exist,but it's the rest that gives market value to the code
29. 352015, Cedric Thomas Research & Development Software Market Value Code POCs Use-cases Demonstrators Documentation Roadmap Upgrades Bug-fixing Training Support Packaging Case studies Collateral Pricing Contracts Early adopters Etc. Predictability Quality Sustainability Without the code, the rest does not exist,but it's the rest that gives market value to the code Delivery Challenge
30. 362016, Cedric Thomas Code is only a fraction of the software value-chain that delivers market- ready offerings. Users expect market-ready offerings, i.e. code complemented by: packaging, services, training, maintenance, support, etc. Users want a full business proposal, not just bare code.
31. 372016, Cedric Thomas Research projects do not deliver market-ready offerings. Collaborative R&D projects are expected to deliver POCs demonstrations and components. Open source developers natural bias is to concentrate on core code functionalities.
33. 432016, Cedric Thomas Successful projects implement flawless open source governance. Open source governance best practices help build sustainable communities. Code complementers more likely to contribute to trustworthy OSS projects. Non-Profit open source organizations provide neutral support and sustainability.
34. 442016, Cedric Thomas Successful open source projects are supported by IT companies. Corporate support ensures roadmap consistency and long-term sustainability. Corporate support develops industry-grade distributions and market-ready offerings. Corporate support helps grow market outreach, sign-up early adopters and provide use cases for mainstream market.
35. 452016, Cedric Thomas Enforce OSS Governance Develop technology commons Engage with EU OSS orgs. Create business opportunities Grow OSS marketplace Five Recommendations for a Proactive OSS Strategy
36. 2016, Cedric Thomas IT Industry Collab. Projects Mainstream Market Delivery Challenge
37. 2016, Cedric Thomas Enforce Open Source Governance best practices Require OSS projects to implement OSS project management best practices Proper OSS governance as a project evaluation criteria Add OSS Manager to Exploitation and Innovation managers IT Industry OSS Governance Collab. Projects Mainstream Market
38. 2015, Cedric Thomas Engage with EU-driven OSS communities Involve EU-centric communities, such asOW2, LibreOffice, in EU industry engagement mechanisms Incentivate industry to support global EU-centric communities Require OSS projects to join and comply with OSS communities. IT Industry OSS Governance OSS Support Collab. Projects Mainstream Market
39. 2015, Cedric Thomas Create business opportunities for OSS Use EC and Govt IT buying power to grow OSS market attractiveness Develop user-side policy guidelines supporting OSS Do not be just a consumer, be a co- producer, be responsible, contribute! IT Industry OSS Governance OSS Support Business Opportunites Collab. Projects Mainstream Market
40. 2016, Cedric Thomas Pay to develop OSS technology commons Establish financial support for project contributors Develop market-ready technology commons Implement selection process of high-potential OSS projects IT Industry OSS Governance OSS Support Collab. Projects Mainstream Market OSS Governance Business Opportunites Technology Commons Collab. Projects Mainstream Market
41. 2015, Cedric Thomas Support the EU OSS shopping mall (AppHub ;-) Marketplace for selected open source technology commons. Facilitate connexion between projects and market Technology commons are ''pre- competition'' IT Industry OSS Governance OSS Support Business Opportunites Technology Commons OSS Marketplace Collab. Projects Mainstream Market
42. 2016, Cedric Thomas Support the EU OSS shopping mall Pay to develop technology commons Create business opportunities Support EU-driven OSS organizations Enforce OSS governance IT Industry OSS Governance OSS Support Business Opportunites Technology Commons OSS Marketplace Collab. Projects Mainstream Market
43. 532015, Cedric Thomas FLOSS Models Industry Rationale Proactive Strategy Summary
44. 2016, Cedric Thomas Summary Three free software and OSS Models Developers Entrepreneurs Ecosystems Four lessons from the software value chain Code vs Product Delivery Challenge Governance makes the Difference Industry support A proactive OSS strategy
45. 552015, Cedric Thomas Questions Disagreements Complements Feedback etc. Thank you
News and Events. Toggle navigation. HOME; ... Vice-President and Commissioner for Digital Single Market at Net Futures 2016. ... Cédric Thomas, CEO of OW2
Public Presentations. ... Net Futures 2016 AppHub presentation. ... Cédric Thomas, AppHub Project ICT 2015 presentation: Sep 21 2015.
Net Futures 2015 is an event organized by the ... OW2 Cédric Thomas CEO is speaking in the Open Source Session ... Details for Cédric Thomas presentation.
Software as a Driver to Maximise Growth Potential. ... Cédric Thomas, CEO, OW2 (presentation) ... Copyright Net Futures 2016 ...
• Cédric Thomas, CEO, OW2 ... PowerPoint Presentation Author: Elisabetta Di Nitto Created Date: 5/2/2016 11:42:45 AM ...
CEO @ OW2 Consortium Home; My CrunchBase; ... Click/Touch UPDATE above to add Details for Cedric Thomas. Jobs (1) Update. Current. CEO ... Net Futures 2015 ...
Cedric Thomas ... Cedric Thomas, is the CEO of OW2, ... Cedric has masterminded the launch of the OW2 Consortium. Previously, ...