Published on October 29, 2014
1. Henri Isaac C-store a learning by doing pedagogy for e-commerce teaching 1
2. Who I Am? 2 Ph.D in Management Science ● Associate Professor Université Paris-Dauphine ● Ex- Dean for Faculty & Research Neoma Business School ● Head of « E-commerce » certificate CCMBenchmark-Dauphine ● Co-Author E‐commerce [3rd ed., 2014] , Marketing Digital [5th Ed. 2014] ● Consulting in e-commerce strategy ● Renaissance Numérique Vice-President [Think Tank of the Digital Society] “ ” @hisaac25 @livre_ecommerce @Marktg_digital
3. Agenda What was the challenge ? Why learning by doing? How we design the c-store project? How we run such a pedagogical project? What we’ve learned [KSF]? 3
4. What was the problem? 4
5. The context • “Retail & CRM” track in the Marketing Master (5th year) • 30 students with partial professional experience • Last year before starting a career • Teaching: • an IS course for more than 15 years (ERP, SCM, EDI, etc.) • an e-commerce course • Observations • Our students need : • Financial skills [assessing investment & ROI projects] • Project management [more & more projects based organizations] • More digital skills: [from e-commerce to connected commerce] • How can help our students to be more effective from scratch? 5
6. 6 Coping with various demands Financial perspective Information system Project management e & m-commerce
7. Rethinking the approach Traditional answer: adding three new courses ! How can we make our students more digital effective ? How can we make our students aware about what an e-commerce platform is ? 7
8. Rethinking the approach Digital is hard to teach without using it Project management is hard to teach: • Usually limited to tools and process • Nothing on team, leadership, planning, scheduling • Financial dimension of project difficult to understand 8 “doing a project” rather than “teaching project management”
9. How we designed the project 9
10. Designing the project |1 • A digital project where students can: • Understand what a digital project is all about • Manage a real project • Build a digital strategy for a real company • Assess the financial aspects of the project with a business plan • Specify the e-commerce platform • Build a prototype • Defend the project as if it is a board presentation • A project in which disciplines are mixed • Make our students being able to cope with transversal issues 10
11. Designing the project |2 • Rethinking different courses around the project • Various courses have been rescheduled • Specific & dedicated (small 6h) courses have been added • Experienced Consultants have been hired in order to • Teach some dedicated courses (Project management, web specifications, customer journey methodology) • Train students on the e-commerce platform • Coach each team 11
12. Designing the project |3 • Use an e-commerce platform • Historically, we used different OSS: OSCommerce, NopCommerce, RBS change • Sign a partnerpship with RBS Change • Cloud solution (Amazon Web Service) • Each team has its own instance • Two days training by RBS 12
13. How do we run c-store 13
14. Timeframe & milestones 14 Understanding the project Strategy choice Scoping & scaling Prototyping Expert Assesment How can we organize the project? What’s the target? How to size it? How to build it ? Result ? October December January February March May September Final presentation
15. Assessment 15 Milestones 1 2 3 4 5 Deadline September December January March Mai Assignment Project planning Strategic plan Business plan Cahier des charges Final presentation Weight 17,5% 17,5% 17,5% 17,5% 30 % assessor H. Isaac F. Miquel N. Innocenti H. Isaac F. Miquel N. Innocenti H.Isaac L. Passamonti Professional Jury
16. Assessment 16
17. Final presentation
18. Key success factors 20
19. Building Partnerships 29/1 0/20 14 21 E-commerce platform Platform Training Project management Web & digital Specifications
20. Gathering a dream team! 22 Valérie Renaudin, Dauphine Henri Isaac, Dauphine Nathalie Innocenti, consultant Ludovic Passamonti, consultant Eric Voltzenlogel, consultant Florent Miquel, consultant 29/10/2014
21. Convincing companies to partner
22. Won the 2014 FNEGE Pedagogical Award Have a look at our Video explaining our poject [in French]
... and will keep doing so. The steady growth of e-commerce: ... but they don't always give the best experience for users, ...
Creating an E-commerce Web Site: ... and other programming languages. To shorten the learning curve, ... making the user experience smoother and more ...
Building a Better Shopping Experience. ... In doing so, Walmart is trying to ... complete omni-channel solution to seamlessly integrate e-commerce ...
What Is E-Commerce? ... — In C2B e-commerce, consumers post a project with a set budget online, ... For a Great E-Commerce Experience, ...
Summary of John Dewey's classic theory of experience, ... Experiential Learning. Dewey's "Experience & Education" 500 Word Summary of Dewey’s ...
E-Commerce; Mobile; Personal Tech; ... Learning by Doing at the Children’s Museum ... there’s an eye-popping interactive architectural experience.
Electronic business, ... groups and other businesses or e business refers to business with help of internet i.e. doing ... "e-business" and "e-commerce ...
Learn if an e-commerce website is ... this field who have experience in e-commerce not ... engines where people are actually doing their ...
... doctor of structure of e commerce, ... Aware transaction trust experience for the. And ... Thesis on e commerce project of foreign students at ...