Published on November 8, 2016
1. "Bread without Butter": The Origins of Inhumanity in the Construction Industry
2. Eureka! I have finally managed to solve the riddle. It took me over 25 years of extensive studies but I have finally understood what is going on in the GCC region. The day has come to dig out the origins of inhumanity in the construction industry. I will only share an extract of the outcome of my studies and this in the hope of contributing to positive changes. Concerning the construction industry, I have found out that the GCC region was betrayed by the majority of the world’s leading organizations, by several bodies that govern the construction industry and by employees that were responsible to protect the interests of their companies and the interests of the employees and laborers but decided to do otherwise. In fact, many of these parties never wanted the GCC countries to move on in a healthy manner or to improve in the most important fields of life. They were much more concerned with their own personal benefits and they were consumed by their personal greed and they were blind to the human suffering that they were causing and they were careless when it came to the abidance by any existing laws. The majority of the world’s leading organizations wanted the GCC region to stagnate and never to improve when it came to human values or human rights. One reason for wanting this stagnation is to continue charging (money) the GCC countries for advice, training, development and for continuing to criticize the GCC countries and to make money out the criticism. Time has come to expose the enemies of the GCC countries and the enemies of the construction industry in particular. Here are my findings: 1) The United Nations Organization has kept eyes closed on the lack of human rights and on all the many abuses that were / are still taking place in the construction industry. The advice that was given to the GCC countries was very poor and was lacking any sort of implementation mechanisms or any sort of authority. The methods of obliging GCC countries to adhere to international best practices were primitive and dysfunctional. There was a careless attitude when it came to human suffering or when it came to abidance to any signed treaties. It is to be noted that this carelessness is not new and dates since the establishment of the United Nations Organization. I believe that if I was capable of writing 166 articles mainly on the construction industry, this means that there was something to write about. The question here is: why was I capable of writing all these articles? The answer is: because there was something that was definitively wrong and that needed to be exposed. I have written several articles on
3. what I believe should be done to improve the present situation and anyone could read them on my LinkedIn profile (posts section). 2) The Human Rights Organization has kept eyes closed on the lack of human rights and on all the abuses that were / are still taking place in the construction industry. The question is: why? The answer is: because it is directly linked to the United Nations Organization and because the Human Rights Organization depends on financial contributions and on charity donations to keep surviving and many countries around the world are paying for the silence and the non-involvement of the Human Rights Organization in their internal affairs. This is a fact. Time has come for human beings to have rights. I have written several articles on what I believe should be done to improve the present situation and anyone could read them on my LinkedIn profile (posts section). 3) The International Labor Organization has kept eyes closed on the lack of human rights and on all the abuses that were / are still taking place in the construction industry. The question is: why? The answer is: because it is directly linked to the United Nations Organization and to the Human Rights Organization. All form one single family and what is applicable for one is applicable for all. Yes, all have decided to turn their backs on what is happening in the construction industry for the benefit of their organizations and for the financial support that they were receiving. They are all to be blamed for all the misery and human suffering that took place over all the previous years where thousands of laborers and thousands of employees have suffered due to their non-involvement and due to their greed. I have written several articles on what I believe should be done to improve the present situation and anyone could read them on my LinkedIn profile (posts section). 4) The International Federation of Consulting Engineers (FIDIC) has betrayed the GCC countries as it has authorized the majority of construction companies to misuse and abuse its form of contracts without voicing out or without preventing such parties from doing so. I have written several articles on how this has been done and anyone could read them on my LinkedIn profile (posts section). In fact, FIDIC should prevent or even forbid any party from referring to its form of contacts in any construction contract if such a party is not abiding by the various laws that surround the construction industry or that does not respect human values and human rights. There is a certain reputation that FIDIC should maintain. 5) The International Standardization Organization (ISO) has betrayed the GCC countries as it has authorized the majority of construction companies to misuse and abuse its standards without voicing out or without preventing such parties from doing so. Not only that, but ISO has accepted to have unethical and fraudulent parties to be ISO certified. I have written several articles on how this has been done and anyone could read them on my LinkedIn profile (posts section). In fact, ISO should prevent or even forbid any party from referring to its standards in the construction industry (or in any other industry as well) if such a party is not abiding by international standards, by best practices, by the Labor
4. Law or other relevant laws that surround the construction industry or that does not respect human values and human rights. There is a certain reputation that ISO should maintain. 6) Internal Auditors, External Auditors and QMS certifying bodies have betrayed the GCC countries by providing unethical, incomplete, misleading and false auditing reports. I have always wondered why illegal recruitment fees, passport confiscation, human rights abuses, non-abidance by the Labor Law (or other relevant laws), tendering malpractices, fraudulent construction main contract documents and many other crucial matters do not form part of any sort of ethical auditing! Many construction companies had their Quality Management System (QMS) certified while they didn't deserve such a certification. I have written several articles on how this has been done and anyone could read them on my LinkedIn profile (posts section). 7) The Labor Law has not been correctly updated or completed to date and this in the majority of the GCC countries and until now no hard copies of the latest editions are available for anyone to review. Isn’t this weird? When are we going to have a functional and a human (fair and just) Labor Law in a hard copy form to refer to? I must add that due to the Labor Law having been initially written by Expats, it is seen that the Labor Law is lacking the essence of human rights and the essence of required laws. The Labor Law should be based on the commandments of almighty Allah (God) and not on clauses that could promote modern slavery or on a primitive and un-Islamic sponsorship system (reference to the primitive Kafil system). I believe that the Kafil system is unjust and has caused a lot of human suffering over the previous years and should be abolished once and for all as it is a source of misery and one that prevents human beings from their basic freedoms and / or rights. The Kafil system makes people unhappy. Time has come to show the true image of Islam. Islam is the religion of justice, human rights, the religion that has outlawed slavery and the religion that values human dignity and humanity. As such, all employees and laborers including Helpers (Maids), Farmers, Landscape Workers, Taxi Drivers, Personal Drivers, Cooks, Nannies etc. must be protected by a law and hence must form part of the Labor Law and this in any GCC country. It is their right to be protected by the Labor Law like any other employee or construction laborer. I have written several articles on what could be done to improve the Labor Law and anyone could read them on my LinkedIn profile (posts section). I believe that the Labor Law in any GCC country should be based on Islamic teachings and on what almighty Allah (God) has ordered concerning the respect of human rights. Fearing almighty Allah (God) is the only way to move forward and this in a healthy manner. No, there is no other solution. Those who want to separate religion from laws or politics have become monkey nations (for proof, one could read my previous article called: Monkey Origins!): https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/bread-without-butter-chapter-18-monkey-origins-momtaz- alsolh?trk=mp-reader-card
5. The formula here is very simple: wanting to brush religion aside shall equal to utter failure. One must please almighty Allah (God) in order to prosper and in order to live in happy countries. This is the true definition of happiness and this is the source of happiness. All the laws of the universe are already written and are clearly defined in the religious books. There is no need to waste any more precious time or efforts. It is to be noted that many that work in the construction industry have not only offended the existing Labor Law but many other existing laws as well. This is why I have suggested the establishment of "The Zero Tolerance Law" concerning any form of fraud, bribery, corruption or Wasta. If one reads all my previous articles that I have shared (especially Phase IV of “Bread without Butter”), one would find out that there is a lot to be done to improve the laws that govern the construction industry and all the policies, processes and procedures as well. It is only by highlighting what is wrong that things shall change to the better. In order to reach to planet Mars, we need to first correct what is happening on planet Earth. Or are we going to take deficient practices with us to planet Mars? :) I believe that the origins of inhumanity are found in the laws and in the governance part of the construction industry. I have shared here above seven reasons on why there is inhumanity in the constructions industry but there are many other reasons that I might share one day soon. I believe that there are no more reasons on why healthy corrections cannot start taking place. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- For those that care to know where the origins of the title "Bread without Butter" came from: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/bread-without-butter-introduction-momtaz-alsolh Important hope: I am still praying to almighty Allah (God) to see the light of the fair and just 2016 Labor Law in all GCC countries.
6. Important reminder: There is a saying that goes like this: “Forgiven is the one that has warned!” Tatashok, the clock is ticking (Tatashok is a name that I have created to combine the names of two of the largest bus manufacturers in India). I will do what is necessary to ban your cheap buses that come without air-conditioning. The owners of these bus manufacturing companies are inhuman. The day shall come when almighty Allah (God) shall punish you for having allowed the suffering of millions of Laborers (and Farmers) in the GCC region and elsewhere around the world as well. Laborers (and farmers) come from all religions / races. Take a healthy decision! Yes, it can be done. Do not befriend the devil!