Published on March 10, 2014
COMPOSIT 2014 BIZ QUIZ PRESENTED BY AJAY VISWANATHAN QUIZ CLUB IIT KHARAGPUR
EXPECT... ● Brand etymologies, origin stories ● (Tech || sports || entertainment) && business ● Advertisements and general funda ● Every answer would be known to most of you. How to arrive at the answer is a different story altogether
THE OPENING BELL PRELIMS
● 20 questions ● Q 5,10,15,20 are starred, ie. to resolve ties ● Sudden death rule followed in case of further ties ● Resolve all disputes in an amicable manner. No black-ink throwing business, please ● Oh btw, the QMs decision is final RULES
1. A Plain Vanilla question X is a popular trivia app developed by Plain Vanilla Games, an Icelandic gaming company. It has been touted as the ‘world’s biggest trivia game’. It was launched in November ‘13 and already has 11 million members.
2. Name the notorious founder Stratton Oakmont Inc was a long Island New York, ‘over-the-counter’ brokerage house co-founded by Kenny Greene and X, and later bought by Danny Porush. It was the largest OTC firm in the country during the late 1980s and 1990s. Eventually X was persecuted after his office was inundated with complaints regarding the brokerage.
Jordan Belfort Wolf of Wall Street
3. Connect An NGO aimed at helping the cause of the underprivileged. They also sell merchandise to increase their reach and corpus for their initiatives. A British Supernatural drama TV series created by Toby Whithouse, currently in its 5th season after 37 episodes. A 1994 drama film starring Robin Williams portraying the experience of a single human soul through various incarnations.
4. If you thought Whatsapp was the only major deal to go through recently... Japanese e-commerce major Rakuten recently acquired X, a free instant messaging and VoIP smartphone application, for $900 million to expand its platform of Internet-based services. ID this competitor of the $19 billion - valued Whatsapp.
5*. Its a ‘sweet deal’ King Digital Entertainment Plc, maker of popular smartphone games, is beginning an adventure of its own on a path to becoming a public company. King, owned by Apax Partners LLP and Index Ventures, filed to raise $500 million in an IPO in the US. Name their most famous offering.
Candy Crush Saga Also, Pet Rescue Saga
6. Non-exhaustive connect Tesla Motors LinkedIn Palantir Tech. SpaceX YouTube Yelp Inc. Yammer
PayPal Mafia companies
7. Answer quickly Tracks and Records is the first of its kind in the Caribbean region and has already started to break the barriers of a casual eatery and sports bar & lounge. Who is the star sportsperson backing this enterprise?
8. Don’t be angry at me Company X was founded in 2003 and was named after the local word for bonfire In the beginning of 2009, they were close to bankruptcy, when they launched Y and things turned around for them What is Y and name X where you would find a ‘Mighty Eagle’, ‘Bird Whisperer’, ‘Marketing Wingman’, ‘Twitcher’ and other characters in the office?
X - Rovio, Y - Angry Birds
9. Who wrote the copy for this ad?
*10. Two of the most celebrated creative minds of India, X and Y launched their social media platform, Qyuki Digital Media Pvt. Ltd. Qyuki is a social media platform that aims to engage Indian youth by showcasing new media content Hint: X is an Oscar nominee, Y is an Oscar winner
X - Shekhar Kapoor, Y - A.R.Rahman
11. Who is the advertiser?
12. Choppered down X is a British-Italian multinational helicopter design and manufacturing company, and a wholly owned subsidiary of Finmeccanica. In 2013, one of their clients cancelled a contract after allegations surfaced that $50 million was paid as a bride. ID this controversial company.
13. ID X X worked with Hot Wheels Design to create the ‘Spin King’, a limited edition car. The toy car was part of their new ‘Designed by’ series and is the first car designed by an Australian. In 2009 he ventured into the men’s underwear category with the successful launch of Spinners in Australia.
14. ID X Famously known for keeping their product ad- free for a long time, X struck a deal with Omnicom worth upto $100 million to show advertisements under its umbrella. An ads could come in the form of static images or videos, and are meant to be consistent with the quality of content on X.
*15. X is a fast-food restaurant chain that specializes in fried chicken operating across the southwestern United States at 14 locations. The name is ungrammatical Spanish for ‘The Chicken Brothers’. Founded by Gustavo Fring and Max Arciniega. It is a subsidiary of Madrigal Electromotive, a German conglomerate with an ownership stake in the company.
Los Pollos Hermanos From Breaking Bad A meth cook was recently busted wearing a Los Pollos Hermanos shirt from the TV series
16. In his early thirties Melvin Weinberg was in on a scam selling only the front-portion of jackets, footless socks, inferior quality glass with fake stickers that read ‘Made in Italy’. He soon moved to advance-fee scams. He would offer loans to people with bad credit through a company he set up called London Investors. Why is this man back in the news?
American Hustle Known for the Abscam controversy
17. What resulted? Industrial designers from across the country had their work judged by experts from Japan in order to decide on an insignia to indicate a product that had certain qualities. The product should have been made within the past two years, should have been made in India and marketed in India.
18. Tastes addictive Admir and Ibi Adili, the brothers behind Valentino Ice Cream Shop on Croatia’s Murter Island put some blue syrup in a vanilla base and called it X ice cream. It apparently tastes like gum and candy. Pic follows...
19. ID this ‘villain’ Sri Dato' Seri X Chee Yioun is a Malaysian businessman and investor. He is the Chairman and Chief Executive of Berjaya Corporation Berhad. In 2010, he entered the Forbes billionaire list with an estimated worth of US$1.3 billion. In 2010 he bought a controlling share in Welsh club, Cardiff City and Bosnian FK Sarajevo in 2013.
*20. What service do they provide? Zostel is the first chain of its kind in India. Started by IIT, IIM graduates, currently operating from Jodhpur and Jaipur.
Backpacker hostels Offer secure, hygienic, centrally-located and pocket-friendly accommodation for young travellers.
WRITTEN ROUND 1 BANK NOTES ROUND
1. Sigmund Freud, Austria
2. Edvard Munch, Norway
3. Nikola Tesla, Serbia
4. Albert Einstein, Israel
5. King Ramses II, Egypt
6. Emiliano Zapata, Mexico
1. Ads for which famous family pastime?
2. Where would you find this flourishing business in India? 4900 production units, bringing in an annual income of $1 billion dollars Division of units: 1039 textiles 932 porters 567 leather 722 recycling 111 restaurants thousands of boutiques
The slums of Dharavi, Mumbai
3. The Winklevii (The Winklevoss Twins), recently announced that they have signed up to travel to suborbital space on Virgin Galactic, the space tourism company founded by Richard Branson, each ticket costing $250,000 What was unique about their mode of payment?
Paid through Bitcoin They are big-time cyber-currency investors
4. ID the brand Launched in 1989, X was the first handheld ice cream targeted as a premium ice cream for adults. Today, it is one of the world's leading ice cream brands, selling one billion units annually worldwide, and it is the biggest brand of Unilever ice creams. Kareena Kapoor Khan has been chosen as the brand ambassador in India. It is priced at Rs.85 per bar.
Magnum Ice Cream
5. What is unique about this bottled water product?
Made from water contaminated by Bhopal tragedy Campaign protesting against Dow Chemicals
6. What every employee likes to hear X was a merchant, who later became the patron saint of business people, tailors, shoemakers and clothworkers, as well as of Cremona, Italy. His name is latin for ‘good man’
7. What is X? The X effect is based on the commonly accepted perception that you get what you pay for. X was once an obscure brand of Scotch whiskey. By raising its prices, it not only increased sales but also taught marketers that people associate price with quality. In the 1950s, Coca Cola was twice as expensive as Pepsi. Yet, Pepsi sales increased after they raised the price of the soda.
8. Who is behind this initiative? The just keep livin Foundation was started by X and his wife, Camilla and is dedicated to empowering high school students to lead active lives and make healthy choices to become great men and women. While filming Dazed and Confused, X was struggling with the passing of his father. It was during this time that he was overtaken by a saying that would soon change his life: “just keep livin” or “j.k. livin” as it’s called.
WRITTEN ROUND 2 MINIMALIST AD POSTERS
5. Red Bull
1. Name the two cities The current rivalry between the two cities can be considered a manifestation of one which had already existed since industrial times. Both were competing with each other for supremacy of the North West, with one famous for its manufacturing prowess while the other for its port.
Manchester and Liverpool
2. The real pioneer of the fizzy drink In 1783, a young Swiss watchmaker and keen amateur scientist, Jacob X, became the first person to perfect an economical process for making carbonated mineral water. He founded X in Geneva the same year. They launched fizzy lemonade in 1831, which led to other flavoured fizzy drinks. In 1969, it merged with Cadbury. It also owns the Dr. Pepper Brand and Snapple.
3. Name both Pictured here, is the founder of X industries. The name X is an anagram of Y industries founded by Howard Y.
X - Trask, Y - Stark From the upcoming X-Men, Days of the Future Past
4 .Similar to the dividends that Tuvalu gets from its name for .tv... Micronesia’s Top Level Domain is getting popular for audio streaming websites like Ping, FastMail, Smart, Tastebuds, Turntable, Ask and Last What is their TLD?
.fm, from Federated States of Micronesia
5. ID her. X is an Indian fashion designer who sells designer merchandise using her own name as the label. She has been the youngest designer to unveil at the India Fashion Week. She is the love-child of Vivian Richards and tv- actress, Neena Gupta.
6. Which famous family? The Ittefaq Group of Industries, is a multimillion dollar integrated steel producer with major operations in Punjab Province of Pakistan. Muhammad X along with his six brothers, established a foundry in 1939. In 1972, Prime Minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto nationalized the steel industry, including the Ittefaq family business empire — Ittefaq Group. In 1980, General Muhammad Zia ul-Haq returned the business after developing political links with the X.
Sharif Father of Nawaz Sharif
7. What ceremony am I talking about? During the interim budget this year, the Finance ministry organized the ritual ‘X’ ceremony. It has been a tradition which has continued for long. X is prepared in a big khadai and served to support the people involved in making the budget, who are away from their families for a long time
8. ID all three X is an index made up of a selection of stocks from companies associated with actress X. Seen as one of the world's most influential celebrities, some analysts believe that companies connected with her will outperform their competition. Y is a slang technical analysis term referring to a rounding bottom in a stock's price pattern. This term got its name from Y’s curvy figure; she is often criticized (or praised) for her round bottom. Z is a stock index comprised of companies associated with the socialite Z. Some investors conceive her influence on the consumer spending habits of her fans is material enough to give these companies a competitive advantage.
X - Angeline Jolie, Y - Jennifer Lopez, Z - Paris Hilton