Published on January 2, 2017
1. Bismuth Nanoparticles – Technology Landscape TECHNOLOGY THROUGH PATENT GLASS RUCHICA KUMAR NOVOCUS LEGAL LLP 1
2. Why use Patents as Technology Indicator Patents provide clear idea of number of players in market for a particular technology. Patent data provides an accurate understanding of technical domains wherein a particular technology has branched from and directions a technology is heading towards. Patent data helps to understand how technology has changed over the years. For example, patent data can provide evidence of what technical domains were being researched into a decade ago as compared to technical domains being researched today. Such a comparison helps in mapping out progress of a technology, knowledge externalities and cross industry innovation prospects All the above mentioned points barely scratch the surface of ocean that is patent data analysis In this report we aim to present few exemplary conclusions that we could draw from a detailed analysis of bismuth nanoparticle technology. 02-01-2017 Ruchica Kumar, Novocus Legal LLP 2
3. Bismuth Nanoparticles Bismuth is a crystalline, brittle metal and constitutes the most naturally diamagnetic metal. Typically, bismuth is found as bismuthinite (bismuth sulfide), bismite (bismuth oxide) and bismuthite (bismuth carbonate) Bismuth has the property that it expands as it freezes and also has unusually high electrical resistance for a metal. Its thermal conductivity is lower than any metal except mercury Bismuth is a semimetal with rhombohedral crystal structure and Bi shows a semimetal- semiconductor transition in low-dimensional structures, hence making it a candidate for nanotechnical applications. 02-01-2017Ruchica Kumar, Novocus Legal LLP 3
4. Presentation objective This presentation aims at presenting an overview of technical landscape of Bismuth Nanoparticles. Complete assessment of bismuth nanoparticle technology is mapped in a report. The report is accessible to anyone upon contacting author of the report (contact details mentioned in last slide of this presentation ). The presentation includes following parts from complete assessment, they should be treated as excerpts from the report. Evolution of Bismuth Nanoparticle technology Major technology verticals wherein Bismuth Nanoparticles are being used Major technical players in field of bismuth nanoparticles Geographical distribution of bismuth nanoparticles Technology influence of patent portfolios held by major players and various jurisdictions in bismuth nanoparticle technology Market power of patent portfolios held by major players various jurisdictions In bismuth nanoparticle technology Co-Assignment charts 02-01-2017Ruchica Kumar, Novocus Legal LLP 4
5. CN DE EP FR IN JP KR PCT RU US 0 5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2 0 1 6 3 3 6 14 17 49 35 1 3 0 3 0 2 0 0 2 0 0 1 2 3 2 1 5 6 1 4 2 1 CN DE EP FR IN JP KR PCT RU US • The chart illustrates how bismuth nanoparticle technology has evolved from 2006 till 2016 in various jurisdiction. • The parameters used to make this chart are: • Number of patent published from year 2006 to 2016 • Jurisdiction across the globe where those patents have been published • This chart gives an idea of magnitude at which technology has been progressing over the last decade and how its spread across the scales of time and geography Technology Evolution – Years and Jurisdictions 02-01-2017Ruchica Kumar, Novocus Legal LLP 5
6. • The chart of also illustrates level of exploitation of each technical area. • This chart can directly lead to white spaces for bismuth nanoparticle technology. • The chart also points at areas that most explored and thereby provide most licensing opportunities and research partners 74 65 26 24 16 12 12 10 10 10 9 9 8 6 6 5 4 4 4 3 3 3 2 2 2 2 2 2 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 Catalysis Semiconductor Devices Nanocomposites Batteries Crystal Formation Metallic Powder Coating Compositions Coating With Metallic Materials Lubricants Dielectric Properties Radiation Analysis Soldering Or Welding Explosive Or Thermic Compositions Optical Elements 02-01-2017Ruchica Kumar, Novocus Legal LLP 6 Report details spread of application areas across parameters of time, geography, and players in a much more holistic and refined manner. It should be noted that most exploited application areas would lead to more commercialization opportunities. Least or less explored application areas would generate direct leads on white spaces for a technology. Aforementioned, areas are detailed in complete report
7. 5 6 5 3 3 4 4 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Hangzhou Dianzi University LOS ALAMOS NATIONAL SECURITY HUNAN JINWANG ENTERPRISES CO. Wuhan Institute of Technology Shaanxi University of Science and… LAIRD TECHNOLOGIES TOYOTA MOTOR ENGINEERING &… Top Players for Catalysis Appliactions 5 3 2 2 2 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 Hangzhou Dianzi University UNIV HEBEI UNITED WUHAN UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY SUED-CHEMIE IP GMBH & CO. KG UNIV NANJING POSTS &… Top Players for formation of nanoparticles for Bismuth nanoparticle technology Each of the charts illustrated here present world leaders for a particular application area mentioned in last slide. Such charts ease process of understanding competition as one can directly look at what how trends are changing in different application area of same technology. In complete report of Bismuth Nanoparticles – A technology landscape; world leaders for every application listed in last slide are presented and discussed. Also, presented would be technology journey of each application over parameters of time, geography and players. 02-01-2017Ruchica Kumar, Novocus Legal LLP 7
8. 10 5 5 4 4 4 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 0 2 4 6 8 10 12 Top Players in Field of Bismuth Nanoparticle Technology CN, 271 DE, 2 EP, 3 FR, 1 IN, 9 JP, 16 KR, 18 PCT, 11 RU, 4 US, 29 Geographical Distribution of Bismuth Nanopartcile Technology CN DE EP FR IN JP KR PCT RU US Complete report includes detailed insights into portfolios of every jurisdiction listed below and their development and strengths over parameters of time, players and applications areas. 02-01-2017Ruchica Kumar, Novocus Legal LLP 8 Complete report includes detailed insights into portfolios of every player listed above and their development and strengths over parameters of time, geography and applications areas.
9. Patent Citations – Technology Influencers Patent citations are an indicator of technology influence a particular patent has upon development of a technology. Number of forward citations is directly proportional to role a particular patent has played in development of similar patents. The forward citations of a particular patent may be from patents assigned to same assignee as the patent in question or from they may be from a different assignee. In both cases, the effect of the forward citation remains the same. We have calculated percentage of forward citations per patent of patent portfolio held by top 30 assignees in our parent set of nanoflake technology patents. Then we have calculated an average of all percentages of forward citations per patent in order to arrive at a percentage of forward citation for an assignee. The percentage of citation per patent for an assignee is direct indicator of technology influence of that assignee upon development of nanoflake technology. More citations refer to more influential technology. 02-01-2017Ruchica Kumar, Novocus Legal LLP 9
10. 0 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 HangzhouDianziUniversity LosAlamosNationalSecurity,Llc HunanJinwangEnterprisesCo.,Ltd. ShaanxiUniversityofScienceand… WuhanInstituteofTechnology ToyotaMotorEngineering&Amp;… LairdTechnologies,Inc. WuhanInstOfTech WuhanInstTechnology UnivAnhuiTechnology HefeiInstitutesOfPhysicalScience,… KoreaUniversityResearchAnd… GeneralElectricCompany Rutgers,TheStateUniversity Secretary,DepartmentOfElectronics… HarbinInstOfTechnology CentreForMaterialsForElectronics… UnivTianjin NatUnivDongHwa ShanghaiSanyiEnvironment… ShanghaiInstCeramics UnivDonghua UnivHebeiUnited NingboInstMatTech&Amp;EngCas UnivShandong NanjingUniversityOfScienceAnd… HarbinInstituteOfTechnology WuhanUniversityOfTechnology HefeiInstPhysicalSciCas NationalInstituteOfAerospace… 0 4.25 2 2 0.5 2.67 3.67 0 2 1 3.33 0.67 18 6 0 3 0 2 0.33 0.33 2.33 2 2.67 3.33 3 2 2.33 4 1.33 2 Technology Influence 02-01-2017Ruchica Kumar, Novocus Legal LLP 10 Assignees with highest patent citation per patent are likely to engage in cross-industry innovation and knowledge spillovers, as their technology is more influential and extends over many technical areas. This aspect is further elaborated in detailed report.
11. Patent Family Size – Market Power Patent family includes the original patent and it’s “continuation” applications, “continuation-in-part” (CIP) applications, and “divisional” applications. Family size means how seriously an organization pays attention to this technology. More patents a company applies, more resources need to be deployed in obtaining and maintaining the same. Therefore, the organization would only loose resources for broadening family size unless the technology in question could be profitable. Further, it has been established through rigorous research that the potential sale market can be foreseen from patent family size. We have leveraged this positive relationship of patent family size with commercial potential of a technology. We have tried to convert this semi-subjective, semi-objective parameter into an objective indicator of market power of a technology. Few excepts from analysis are presented in next few slides, however report includes detailed analysis of market power of a technology and its roots in various international markets. 02-01-2017Ruchica Kumar, Novocus Legal LLP 11
12. 1 13 1 1 1 3.75 10.5 1 1 1 1 1 6 15 3.67 1 3.67 1 1 1 1.67 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2.5 0 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 HangzhouDianziUniversity LosAlamosNationalSecurity,… HunanJinwangEnterprises… ShaanxiUniversityofScience… WuhanInstituteofTechnology ToyotaMotorEngineering… LairdTechnologies,Inc. WuhanInstOfTech WuhanInstTechnology UnivAnhuiTechnology HefeiInstitutesOfPhysical… KoreaUniversityResearch… GeneralElectricCompany Rutgers,TheStateUniversity Secretary,DepartmentOf… HarbinInstOfTechnology CentreForMaterialsFor… UnivTianjin NatUnivDongHwa ShanghaiSanyiEnvironment… ShanghaiInstCeramics UnivDonghua UnivHebeiUnited NingboInstMatTech&Amp;… UnivShandong NanjingUniversityOfScience… HarbinInstituteOfTechnology WuhanUniversityOf… HefeiInstPhysicalSciCas NationalInstituteOf… Market Power 02-01-2017Ruchica Kumar, Novocus Legal LLP 12 Assignees with higher family sizes, tend to enter into joint ventures and co-assignments more as compared to patents with low or no family count. This may be due to higher profit forecasts. This aspect is further detailed and elaborated in complete report.
13. 0 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 HangzhouDianziUniversity LosAlamosNational… HunanJinwangEnterprises… ShaanxiUniversityof… WuhanInstituteof… ToyotaMotorEngineering… LairdTechnologies,Inc. WuhanInstOfTech WuhanInstTechnology UnivAnhuiTechnology HefeiInstitutesOfPhysical… KoreaUniversityResearch… GeneralElectricCompany Rutgers,TheStateUniversity Secretary,DepartmentOf… HarbinInstOfTechnology CentreForMaterialsFor… UnivTianjin NatUnivDongHwa ShanghaiSanyi… ShanghaiInstCeramics UnivDonghua UnivHebeiUnited NingboInstMatTech… UnivShandong NanjingUniversityOf… HarbinInstituteOf… WuhanUniversityOf… HefeiInstPhysicalSciCas NationalInstituteOf… 0 4.25 2 2 0.5 2.67 3.67 0 2 1 3.33 0.67 18 6 0 3 0 2 0.33 0.33 2.33 2 2.67 3.33 3 2 2.33 4 1.33 2 1 13 1 1 1 3.75 10.5 1 1 1 1 1 6 15 3.67 1 3.67 1 1 1 1.67 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2.5 Comparison of Market Power and Technology Influcence of each Assignee Technology Influence Market Power 02-01-2017Ruchica Kumar, Novocus Legal LLP 13
14. 1.67 6.35 0.71 3 3.33 0 0 0.67 0.5 0 1.08 6.14 3.83 4.75 10.18 5.89 1 10 5.5 6 0 5 10 15 CN US KR JP PCT IN RU EP DE FR Comparison of Technology Influence and Market Power for Various Patent Jurisdictions Technology Influence Market Power 1.67 6.35 0.71 3 3.33 0 0 0.67 0.5 0 0 2 4 6 8 CN US KR JP PCT IN RU EP DE FR Technology Influence for Various Patent Jurisdictions 1.08 6.14 3.83 4.75 10.18 5.89 1 10 5.5 6 0 2 4 6 8 10 12 CN US KR JP PCT IN RU EP DE FR Market Power for Various Patent Jurisdictions 02-01-2017Ruchica Kumar, Novocus Legal LLP 14
15. Co-Assignment – An Example 02-01-2017Ruchica Kumar, Novocus Legal LLP 15 Centre for material for electronic technology , 4 National University DNG WHA, 3 National Institute of Aerospace Associates, 2 Korea Research and Business Foundation,2 NASA Co-Assignment Details help in understanding technology development trends and commercialization opportunities. Also, Co-assignment data is helpful for identifying new research partners and their particular field of technical expertise. For example, if an organization looks at co-assignment data for a technology and acquires prior knowledge of expertise and current engagements of a research centre, then a strategy can be formed accordingly and resources can deployed in a much more efficient manner Co-Assignment data also leads a reader towards research partners who may be interested in developing unexplored domains and who may be looking for partnerships in those domains. The chart presented here is not complete chart and is presented only for reference. Complete chart along with detailed insights can be accessed through Complete report
16. Joint Ventures – An Example 02-01-2017Ruchica Kumar, Novocus Legal LLP 16 3 3 2 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0.5 1 1.5 2 2.5 3 3.5 Centre For Materials For Electronics Technology (C-Met) Nat Univ Dong Hwa China Petroleum &Amp; Chemical National Institute Of Aerospace Associates Wuhan Institute Of Technology Nanjing University Of Science And Technology Univ Donghua Korea University Research And Business Foundation Shanghai University Centre For Materials For Electronics Technology (Cmet) Number of Applications as a Joint Venture and Players involved • Complete report includes Joint venture detail of every market player along with comparisons and ratios of joint ventures vs sole developers for entire technology domain of bismuth nanoparticles • Complete report details applications areas of technology wherein joint ventures are formed most, least or not formed at all. The chart indicates number of joint ventures each player has entered for technology development
17. Aspects Included in Complete Report The Bismuth Nanoparticle market is segmented based on players, products, services, applications, and regions. Novel Products in the Market Market Size and key insights of market Geographical distribution with respect to years, assignees, technical applications Porter’s Five Forces Analysis Technology Application Evolution of the years Co-Assignment Analysis and Competitive Landscaping IP Competitiveness Analysis – Market Power and Technology Influence Most explored Technical Applications and related Cross industry potentials White Spaces in Bismuth Nanoparticle Technology Emerging Applications for Bismuth Nanoparticle Technology 02-01-2017Ruchica Kumar, Novocus Legal LLP 17
18. Disclaimer: This report was not prepared as an account of work sponsored by any agency. Neither the author nor any agency thereof, nor any of their employees, nor any of their contractors, subcontractors or their employees, makes any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or any third party's use or the results of such use of any information, apparatus, product, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial product, process, or service by trade name, trademark, manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the author or any agency thereof or its contractors or subcontractors. The views and opinions of author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect any factual or strategic inference. This report is for reference and illustration purpose only and should not be used for commercial purposes. About the Author Mrs. Ruchica Kumar - An Intellectual Property professional and a registered patent agent who been working in specialized and focused field of Patent Management. As a registered patent agent she has drafted and prosecuted various patent applications. Her work is focused on technical and strategic facets of patent involving patent analytics, acquisition and management. She leverages technical aspects of patent drafting, patent valuation, and patent citations amalgamated with technical information provided in patent documents to generate comprehensive patent intelligence data. Her sound technical skill set and a strong patent knowledge base provides a good understanding of dynamics of cross industry innovation. Her competencies include: • Nanotechnology Innovation Forecasting – Analyzing knowledge spill-overs and externalities for forecasting new innovation areas for an organization using patents as indicators • Patent Drafting in fields of Medical surgical devices and implants, cardiac rhythm management devices, urology, gynecology. • Patent Invalidation and Patentability assessment • Technology infusion and diffusion studies using patents as indicators • Indian Patent filing and prosecution • Technology Mapping - Nanotechnology 02-01-2017Ruchica Kumar, Novocus Legal LLP 18
19. 02-01-2017Ruchica Kumar, Novocus Legal LLP 19 We can be reached at: C-253, Defence Colony, New Delhi – 110024, INDIA Phone: +91-971-154-16163 Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org Web: http://novocuslegal.com/index.php We welcome any queries regarding any of the topics you found interesting. We would be happy to provide more details on any of the topics you desire. Also, any queries regarding any issues related to intellectual property are most welcome.