Published on March 11, 2014
A FUEL OF NEXT GENERATION….. Presented by- K.Sruthi (10C21A0487)
CONTENTS: HISTORY PRESENT BIO BATTERY INTRODUCTION PRINCIPLE OF BIO BATTERY MECHANISM OF BIO BATTERY GLUCOSE WORKING OF BIO BATTERY NEED OF BIO BATTERY TYPES OF BIO BATTERY BIO BATTERY TECHNOLOGY DEMONSTRATION APPLICATIONS NEXT GENERATION PROTOTYPE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES FUTURE SCOPE CONCLUSION REFERENCE
HISTORY : • The first enzyme-based bio-fuel cell was reported only in 1964 using glucose oxidize (GOx) as the anodic catalyst and glucose as the bio-fuel. • Even though the Bio fuel cells have been known for almost a century since the first microbial BFC(Bio fuel cells) was demonstrated in 1912. • biological processes can be used to generate electricity for powering electrical equipment. Bacteria that produces electricity
PRESENT : • Besides bio fuel energies ,Presently we are using many types of energies. • Namely wind energy , solar energies , thermal energies. • In different technologies we use diff types of batteries namely Lithium cadmium battery, Nickel battery etc. • Though we have many types of Batteries “BIO BATTERY” has many advantages over other and is also 100% eco friendly.
NOW WE PRESENT A NEW ERA OF ENERGY GENERATION….BIO BATTERY
A bio-battery is an energy storage device that is powered by organic compounds usually being glucose such as glucose in human blood. BIO BATTERY
INTRODUCTION • Bio-Battery generates electricity from renewable fuels (glucose, sucrose, fructose, etc ) providing a sustained, on-demand portable power source. • When enzymes in our bodies break down glucose, several electrons and protons are released. • Therefore, by using enzymes to breakdown glucose, bio-batteries directly receive energy from glucose. • These batteries then store this energy for later use. • Bio battery use biocatalyst, either biomolecules such as enzymes or even whole living organism to catalyze oxidation of bio mass-based materials for generating electrical energy.
• A Bio-Battery battery consists of two different metals suspended in an acidic solution. • They contain an anode, cathode, separator and electrolyte, which are the basic components to any cell battery. • Each component is layered on top of another component. Anodes and cathodes are the negative and positive areas on a battery. • The anode is located at the top of the battery and the cathode is located at the bottom of the battery. • Anodes are components that allow electrons to flow in from outside the battery, whereas cathodes are devices that allow current to flow out from the battery. PRINCIPLE OF BIO BATTERY
MECHANISM OF BIO BATTERY
• Bio batteries are heavily based on the amount of glucose available. • This glucose (sugar) can be provided from nearly anything, including soda, waste materials or the glucose in living organisms. • The decomposition of materials to glucose is the main step in getting the cycle started. • Once glucose is present, oxygen and other enzymes can act on it to further produce protons and electrons. GLUCOSE:
WORKING OF BIO BATTERY : • Glucose is broken down on the anode side of the battery producing protons (H+) and electrons (e-). • The protons (H+)are transferred to the cathode side through the separator, while the electrons (e-) are transported to the cathode side through the mediator, which transfers them to the external circuit.
• The cathode uses the enzymes to drive oxygen-reduction reaction which ultimately produces water using both the protons (H+) and the electrons (e-) transferred from the anode. • These reactions at the anode and cathode generate electric energy by creating proton (H+) and electron (e-) flow in the cell system. • Glucose → Gluconolacton+2H+ + 2e−
• Between the anode and the cathode lies the electrolyte which contains a separator. • The main function of the separator is to keep the cathode and anode separated, to avoid electrical short circuits. • This system as a whole allows for a flow of protons(H+) and electrons (e-) which ultimately generate electricity. • The movement of protons has a moving force that pushes, this movement is called current. When this moving force (current) is measured.
NEED OF BIO-BATTERY • An electricity shortage is felt most by those who depend on electricity for heating, cooking, and water supply. • In these circumstances, a sustained energy crisis may become a humanitarian crisis. • As it is known that the energy conservation is the major issue these times so the bio-battery is one of the energy conservation method. • It can save a lot of power and it is also energy efficient phenomenon. • Bio-Battery is a renewable energy source which is again the major requirement of current energy system.
TYPES OF BIO BATTERY
BIO-BATTERY: CLEAN, SAFE, HIGH-ENERGY DENSITY ,SOURCE PRODUCT B A C K G R O U N D : B IO - B AT T E RY G E N E R AT E S E L E C T R IC IT Y F R O M R E N E WA B L E F U E L S (G L U C O S E , S U C R O S E , F R U C TO S E , E T C ) P R O V ID IN G A S U S TA IN E D , O N - D E M A N D P O RTA B L E P O W E R S O U R C E .
BIO-BATTERY: TECHNOLOGY DEMONSTRATION Five Bio-Batteries stacked in series to run microprocessor + LCD display. • Open Circuit Voltage >3.5V • Short Circuit current>100mA • Under Operation: V ~2.0V, I>0.5mA, Power 1mW 5mL of glucose fuel is sufficient to run demo for >100 hours.
APPLICATIONS: • Medical implants like pace makers,insulin pumps • Disaster relief • Replacing batteries in toys and greeting cards • Portable charging in cell phones • Bio battery music playback with memory type walkman
• Sony successfully demonstrated bio battery powered music playback with a memory type Walkman and passive speakers (which operate on power supplied by the Walkman) by connecting four bio battery units in series. • The case of this bio battery, which is made from an organic plastic (polylactate), is designed to be reminiscent of a living cell.
NEXT GENERATION PROTOTYPE • Designed and fabricated using bipolar plates with optimized surface area to volume ratio. • Improved design and performance leads to 50X higher volumetric power density over existing prototype.
ADVANTAGES: Instant recharge Eco friendly Raw materials available easily & plenty Portable & light weight compared to fuel cell. Provide a better employment scope for rural areas. readily available fuel source.
TEMPERATURE STABILITY • Plot of maximum current (at 10-ohms) versus time for Bio- Battery prototype after various storage conditions. • Shows robust, repeatable, and reliable performance and stable operation from -30°C to +55°C for >6 months.
DISADVANTAGES: Compared to conventional batteries, such as lithium batteries, bio-batteries are less likely to retain most of their energy. This causes a problem when it comes to long term usage and storage of energy for these batteries. However, researchers are continuing to develop the battery in order to make it a more practical replacement for current batteries and sources of energy.
FUTURE SCOPE Bio-batteries have a very bright future ahead of them as test productions and research have been increasing over recent years. They serve as a new form of energy that is proving to be environmentally friendly, as well as successful, in producing and reserving energy. Although the batteries are still being tested before being commercially sold, several research teams and engineers are working to further advance the development of these batteries.
WE CAN imagine using a bottle of Coke to recharge batteries in the future although we would still prefer solar Powered chargers as you can't really find a bottle of Coke everywhere, but the sun is there always
CONCLUSION The Bio batteries are High performing, stable. Even so, Bio battery the small, flexible, long lasting and environmentally friendly battery technologies discussed here show the great possibilities researchers see in bio- batteries, especially for the field of medicine. This causes a problem when it comes to long term usage and storage of energy for these batteries. However, researchers are continuing to develop the battery in order to make it a more practical replacement for current batteries and sources of energy.
REFERENCES: Kannan, Renugopalakrishnan, Filipek, Audette, Li, Munukutla. "Bio-Batteries and Bio-Fuel Cells: Leveraging on Electronic Charge Transfer Proteins“. "Sony's bio battery turns waste paper into electricity. "Enzymatic Hydrolysis". Biology-Online.org.
THANKS TO ALL…. TO SEE THE FUTURE OF ENERGY…..
Bio Battery PPT - View presentation slides online. ... WELCOME TO THE SEMINAR ON. Bio Battery by Introduction Bio-fuel cells are alternative energy devises ...
This page contains Bio Battery Seminar and PPT with pdf report. Download Bio Battery complete documentation with ppt and pdf for free.
Bio Battery PPT - View presentation slides online. Bio-fuel cells are alternative energy devises based on bioelectrocatalysis of natural substrates by ...
BIO BATTERY Download PowerPoint Slides ... ppt on Engine knocking and relevence of bio fuels PowerPoint Presentation on ppt on Engine knocking and ...
View and Download PowerPoint Presentations on BIO BATTERY PPT. Find PowerPoint Presentations and Slides using the power of XPowerPoint.com, find free ...
SUMMARY Bio-battery energy storage device, which is powered by organic compounds is usually glucose, such as glucose in the blood. When the enzymes in our ...
THE FUTURE OF ENERGY BIO BATTERY Urba Ziyauddin Siddiqui 1, Anand K.Pathrikar2 1 EC Department, Savitribai Phule Women’s Engineering College, ...
A bio-battery is an energy storing device that ... which makes it of special interest to create a bacterial biobattery which can be used for things such ...