Published on September 28, 2015
1. Tips and tools for empowering yourself during your job search RESUME AND INTERVIEW READINESS Presented by M.L. Cannon for LAULYP 11/11/11
2. Resume Basics A resume is a snapshot of your work experience, skills, and accomplishments Should highlight your skills Should be visually appealing Should be detailed
3. What a good résumé can do Pique an employer’s interest Get you a phone screening/interview Work as “advertisement” of you as an employee
4. 5 Key Elements of a Good Résumé REMEMBER TO *make sure your contact info is accurate! *utilize online resources to help build your resume Clean & crisp layout Brief (ideally 1 page) Factual and accurate Tailored to the position Error-free
5. Which snapshot stands out more to you? SNAPSHOTS - RECEPTIONIST SNAPSHOT A Jane Doe (323) 999-9876 firstname.lastname@example.org XYZ Company Receptionist 8/10-Present -answer phones -file paperwork -open and sort mail SNAPSHOT B Jane Doe (323)999-9876 |email@example.com XYZ Company Receptionist 8/10-Present -Greet callers, answer general questions, and handle high volume calls for fast paced shipping office -Maintain accuracy and organization of in- house filing system -Receive, prioritize, and deliver mail daily to 100 employees
6. What About a Cover Letter? If the job posting requests a cover letter, you should send one. Step by Step Guide http://bit.ly/coverletterbasics Opportunity to add information not on resume Know your value! Present yourself in a positive light. Important: In addition to spell checking your cover letter, print it and ask a friend or two to read it to ensure it is error free.
7. Before the Interview The Phone Call/Screening Be Alert Get a name Be Attentive Don’t take a call in the drive thru of McDonalds Use Voice Mail (return calls/e-mails within 24 hours) Be Interested Your smile can be heard through the phone End call with a thank you Important: Keep a JOB NOTEBOOK (or spreadsheet) tracking where you’ve applied, who you’ve spoken with and when. Keep a pen and paper handy (at home or in the car) for taking notes.
8. PHONE SCREENING SNAPSHOT Snapshot 1 Snapshot 2 Which candidate are you more interested in meeting?
9. Interview Readiness: 5 Key Elements Approach Eye contact, firm handshake, bright smile Know your Goal To determine if job is a good fit for you Know your Skills Inventory your strengths and weaknesses and be able to articulate them Listen actively and respond honestly Take cues from interviewer Have questions for the interviewer When do you expect to have a decision?
10. When You’re Applying to Jobs Be mindful of the logistics of the job you are applying for Location Salary Hours Don’t invest your time applying to/interviewing for a job you have no intention of taking Utilize your personal network & online resources
11. WHERE TO LOOK FOR WORK General Indeed.com SimplyHired.com LinkedIn.com USAJobs.gov Your personal network Alumni Career Center Work Source Centers Industry Specific Sites HCareers.com EdJoin.org Showbizjobs.com Non-Profits OpportunityKnocks.org Idealist.org Specialty SnagAJob.com – Hourly TheLadders.com – Executives
Current Director, Job Readiness at Center for Employment Opportunities, Manager of Job Coaching at Center for Employment Opportunities Past ...
Crenshaw--Los Angeles Urban League 1,188,134 ... inmates with job readiness ... youth ages 14-21 with barriers such as basic skills ...
In 2011, the National Urban League launched the 12 ... must account for the basic shortcomings of our ... Job Placement Success in Los Angeles.
Programs following this basic outline are called Project Ready: ... The National Urban League, ... Job Placement Success in Los Angeles.
SCI Advisory Committee . ... Nolan Rollins, Los Angeles Urban League ... 2011, Daryl L. Osby was sworn in by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors as ...
Los Angeles County Sheriff’s ... and the Los Angeles Urban League have partnered to create an ... of Los Angeles County (POALAC). 2011 ...
View Danielle Taylor’s ... helping professionals like Danielle Taylor discover inside connections to recommended job ... Los Angeles Urban League.