Published on January 5, 2017
1. Search Bing for Love Valentine’s Day 2017 Insights for Digital Marketers
2. Even though over 50% of Australians don't celebrate Valentine's Day, those who do, are spending more each year. Shop in the Name of Love Source IBISWorld Valentine’s Day 2014 Spending Report, 2014 CouponsHQ, Valentine’s Day in Australia by the Numbers, 2014 IBISWorld, Valentine’s Day 2013 Spending Report, 2014 largest in spending after winter holidays, back to school, & Mother’s Day 4th increase from 2014 vs. 2015 in consumer spending 3% Average spent per celebrant $86+ total spending in 2014 $791.4 M Plan to Celebrate Valentine’s Day? No 54% Yes 46%
3. Online shopping is steadily increasing from previous years for Valentine’s Day. Cupid in the Cart +8% increase in online sales from 2014-2015 increase in conversionsSource Nextopia, Valentine’s Day eCommerce Infographic, 2015 National Australia Bank and Quantum, Online Retail Sales Index: In-Depth Report – June 2016, 2016 Deloitte, Navigating the New Digital Divide: Digital Influence in Australian Retail, 2015 +11% increase in average order value the week leading up to Valentine’s Day
4. Agenda Valentine’s Day Profiles Who Celebrates Valentine’s Day on Bing? Love Comes & Goes The Last-Minute Shopping Season Love & Tech Valentine’s Day Prep with Search The Heart’s Desire Trending Gifts & Experiences
5. Valentine’s Day Profiles The Audience You Want To Reach
6. Who is searching for gifts? 35%men 65%women Gender, Female Women are the key drivers for Valentine's Day gift searches ● ● ● ● ● ● Source: Microsoft internal data, Gift searches by demographics, Jan-Feb 2016, AU Source: Nielsen Consumer & Media View National Database, Apr '15 - Mar '16| Base: 14+ Valentine’s Day bios on Bing 30% of Bing gift searchers are between 35-49 years old Age, 35-49 Middle aged gift hunters are driving the romance on Bing ● ● ● ● ● ● Compared to Google, Bing audience is 132% more likely to spend $150-$600 on Valentine’s Day celebration
7. The Bing Network is an effective marketplace, delivering more volume with less effort. 14.2% search share 14.2% 6.0% 6.7% 9.4% 10.1% 10.8% 5.5% Dec ‘15 6.8% Aug ‘16
8. Love Comes and Goes The Last-Minute Shopping Season
9. 0% 100% 200% 300% 400% 500% 600% 700% 800% Valentine’s Day Searches January February 13-Feb 4.7X 12-Feb 4.0X4-Feb 3.6X 2-Feb 2.9X 15-Feb 1.2X Be there when demand ramps up. Searches tend to surge from early February. Last minute shoppers lead the momentum to Valentine’s Day. TIP Keep an eye on your budget the week before Valentine’s Day to make sure it doesn’t get depleted by increased demand Source: Microsoft internal data, daily searches on Valentine related terms Jan-Feb 2016, AU Valentine’s Day 7.6X 1 January 29 February
10. +17% +10% +7% Romantic Travel is normally planned at the beginning of the year Source: Microsoft internal data, daily searches indexed to weekly average, Jan-Feb 2016, AU Romantic travel: weekend getaways, romantic getaways etc. Week 1 Week 2 Week 3 Week 4 Week 5 Valentine's Day Week Week 7 Week 8 CTR CPC Valentine’s Day Week Romantic Travel Search volume index January February
11. +18% +19% +31% +31% +31% +12% +10% +5% Gifts searchers are actively planning 1 week before Valentine’s Day Source: Microsoft internal data, daily searches indexed to daily average, Feb 2016, AU Gifts Search volume index 6-Feb 7-Feb 8-Feb 9-Feb 10-Feb 11-Feb 12-Feb 13-Feb Valentine's Day 15-Feb 16-Feb 17-Feb CTR CPC Tips: Don’t forget the belated shoppers
12. Last week before Valentine’s Day brings the most Flowers searches Source: Microsoft internal data, daily searches indexed to daily average, Feb 2016, AU Flowers Search volume index +22% +20% +16% +16% +42% +10% +52% +5% +11% 6-Feb 7-Feb 8-Feb 9-Feb 10-Feb 11-Feb 12-Feb 13-Feb Valentine's Day 15-Feb 16-Feb 17-Feb CTR CPC Great opportunity to capture last-minute and late shoppers Highest competition & engagement
13. The Heart’s Desire Trending Gifts & Experiences
14. Optimise desktop for flowers, luxury surprises and personalised cards / stationery Source: Microsoft internal data, daily searches Jan-Feb 2016, AU Gold Jewelry Gift Wrap & Ribbons Pearls & Pearl Jewelry Lipsticks & Lip Glosses Personalized Stationery E-Cards Hats Valentine's Day Watches & Watch Accessories Flowers Top 10 searched categories– PC/Tablet
15. Optimise mobile search campaigns for generic Valentine’s Day searches and flowers Source: Microsoft internal data, daily searches Jan-Feb 2016, US only Cufflinks Wedding Rings Earrings Headscarves & Bandanas Scarves & Shawls Gift Wrap & Ribbons Lipsticks & Lip Glosses Antique Jewelry Flowers Valentine's Day Top 10 searched categories– Mobile
16. Source: Microsoft internal data, daily searches Jan-Feb 2016, AU florists flowers online edible blooms florist roses only rose roses flower interflora flowers Roses rule Valentine’s Day flower searches Top 10 searches for flowers Internal only Top 5 flower types by searches Rose, 58% Lily, 15% Orchids, 14% Sunflower, 7% Lisianthus, 6%
17. Source: 1, Nielsen Consumer & Media View National Database, Apr '14 - Mar '16| Base: 14+ Microsoft internal data, daily searches Jan-Feb 2016, AU tag heuer goldmark tiffany watch tiffany and co louis vuitton kindle michael hill mimco pandora Jewellery/accessories dominate Valentine’s gift searches on Bing Top 10 searches for gifts 6%more likely to purchase Jewelleries online1 Compared to total population, the Bing Network audience is: Internal only
18. Search Bing for romantic getaways Source: 1, Nielsen Consumer & Media View National Database, Apr '14 - Mar '16| Base: 14+ Microsoft internal data, daily searches Jan-Feb 2016, AU crystal creek rainforest retreat palm beach sydney seaplanes romantic getaways peppers manor house pethers rainforest retreat Ettalong beach weekend getaways balmoral beach whale beach Top 10 searches for romantic travel Compared to Google, the Bing Network audience is: Internal only 34%more likely to prefer Weekend Getaways and Short Breaks1
19. Love & Tech Valentine’s Day Prep with Search
20. HOT HOURS 3 days before 9.00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Searches CTR Traffic share MOBILE 1.5x 11% 15% LAPTOP/ TABLET 1.4x 7% 85% TIPS • Make sure you stand out from competition as this is when customers are most engaged. • Utilise bid modifiers to tailor your bidding strategy on time and device Monitor budget and bids at peak periods Source: Microsoft internal data, flowers & gifts daily searches by device, Feb 2016, AU HOT HOURS Valentine’s Day 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Searches CTR Traffic share MOBILE 4.0x 4% 34% LAPTOP/ TABLET 1.2x 3% 66% TIPS • Increase campaign budgets to embrace the huge traffic gain on Valentine’s day • Great time to boost bids on mobile as mobile share more than doubled • Be quick & useful (“quick”, “same day delivery”, location & call extension)
21. Combined Extensions Combining ad extensions results in an increased average CTR Source: Microsoft Internal data, gifts & flowers vertical Ad Extension insights AU Jan 2016 – Mar16 13% 12% 9% 6% 5% 3% +LocationExtension +ESL +SiteLinkExtension + ReviewExtension +CallExtension +SiteLink Extension Text Ads Only
22. Maximise your presence and performance with Expanded Text Ads Create a more compelling call to action by presenting customers with more information about your business. Increase audience engagement by providing additional information about your offerings. Choose from 13 available categories to showcase up to 10 highlights per ad. Combine with Callout Extensions and other ad extensions to increase your click-through rate. STANDARD EXPANDED 80-character ad text limit Customisable paths Additional ad title Watch a short video about Expanded Text Ads or learn more from your Account Manager.
23. Get more space and showcase your products with Structured Snippet Extensions Highlight specific products or services to provide more information about your business. Watch a short video about Structured Snippet Extensions or learn more from your Account Manager. Longer ad title and text The character limit has been increased for the ad title and text Seamless across devices Ads are automatically mobile-optimized, reducing the need for multiple ads by device (mobile, tablet, desktop) Optimised for Upgraded URLs You can set up your Expanded Text Ads using final URLs
24. Bing Shopping Campaigns manages Product Ads. Benefits of Product Ads are: Bing Shopping Campaigns put Valentine’s Day searchers closer to a purchase decision Visually engaging ad format. You can stand out from the crowd and attract attention by sharing images of the products you’re selling online. More real estate. Product Ads enable you to highlight more than one product on the same search results page. Efficient setup. If you’re already running Google Shopping Campaigns, it’s easy to import them directly into your Bing Ads account. Contoso Fabrikam Contoso Fabrikam
25. Elite Merchant Badges Display only for merchants with high ratings. Price Drop Alerts Automatically detected by price changes in your data feeds. Product Ratings Ratings from advertiser’s site & trusted 3rd parties. New ad annotations drive more engagement. Contoso Fabrikam Contoso Xyz Flowers Contoso Fabrikam ContosoContosoContoso Contoso Contoso Contoso Contoso Contoso Contoso Contoso Contoso Contoso Contoso Contoso Contoso
26. Valentine’s Day shopping performance increased overall in gift product categories with remarketing. Source: Microsoft internal data, remarketing searches & Bing Shopping Campaigns, Jan 14, 2016 – Feb 22, 2016, US See the difference in Bing Shopping Campaigns with remarketing 1.53% 1.27% Shopping Conversion Rate Shopping CTR 7.76% 2.33% Shopping + Remarketing Conversion Rate Shopping + Remarketing CTR Valentine’s Day shopping performance increased overall in gift product categories with remarketing. Source: Microsoft internal data, remarketing searches & Bing Shopping Campaigns, Jan 14, 2016 – Feb 22, 2016, US
27. Adjust bid amounts for high-value audiences including shopping cart abandoners and previous customers. Be there to help boost ad performance by re- engaging with high-value users who have previously visited your site. Implement Universal Event Tracking across web & mobile sites. Repurpose Holiday Remarketing Lists Existing lists have been tested and just need to be refined for Valentine’s Day behaviours. Broaden Keywords to top Valentine’s Day search terms.
28. Bing Ads Valentine’s Day Checklist Be the local favourite by prioritising mobile search Optimise ads for mobile by using call extensions, location extensions, and site link extensions. Capitalise on search with Bing Shopping Campaigns Refresh your product feed often to keep it fresh. Upload a new feed at least every 30 days to avoid going dark. Make sure to implement sales price and sale price effective date into your feed for Valentine’s Day sale items. Apply larger bids to your best-selling items. Apply remarketing to Bing Shopping Campaigns Create campaigns around trending Valentine’s Day gifts Flowers, cards, and jewelleries are still the most gifted items. People want the gift of experiences and an evening out. Target keywords on gifts for family, friends, and pets. Prioritise high-value audiences Create search and product ads for affordable gifts for non-significant others (co-workers, friends, relatives, classmates, teachers and pets.) Don’t forget singles who are buying luxury gifts for themselves Last-minute timing Schedule campaigns 1 month before 14th February as there’s less ramp time compared to other holidays. Don’t run out of budget in the last 2 weeks before Valentine’s Day when the most clicks and searches happen. Be prepared for day-before & day-of purchases.
29. Learn how to import your campaigns
30. Thank You
31. @bingads linkedIn.com/company/bing-ads facebook.com/bingads blog.bingads.com.au instagram.com/bingads slideshare.net/bingads youtube.com/bingadsGetting started
32. © 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Microsoft, Windows, and other product names are or may be registered trademarks and/or trademarks in the U.S. and/or other countries. The information herein is for informational purposes only and represents the current view of Microsoft Corporation as of the date of this presentation. Because Microsoft must respond to changing market conditions, it should not be interpreted as a commitment on the part of Microsoft, and Microsoft cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information provided after the date of this presentation. Microsoft MAKES NO WARRANTIES–EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY– REGARDING THEI NFORMATION IN THIS PRESENTATION.