Published on October 10, 2017
1. Are your apps chasing users away? How to Deliver Superior Digital Experiences
2. © 2014 Riverbed Technology. All rights reserved. 2 Nik Koutsoukos Riverbed Technology VP Product Marketing, SteelCentral Dennis Drogseth EMA V.P Research, IT Megatrends, Analytics & CMDB Systems Presenters
3. © 2014 Riverbed Technology. All rights reserved. 3 67% Is Digital Transformation Relevant? 87% 27% of G2000 CEOs will have it at the center of their corporate strategy of companies believe that it is a competitive opportunity of executives rate digital transformation as a "matter of survival"
4. © 2014 Riverbed Technology. All rights reserved. 4 Managing users’ digital experience has become one of the most critical business objectives for most enterprises
5. © 2014 Riverbed Technology. All rights reserved. 5 * Gartner 5%of global enterprises have strategically implemented DEM technologies* Can you manage Digital Experience?
6. IT & DATA MANAGEMENT RESEARCH, INDUSTRY ANALYSIS & CONSULTING Some Definitions: 6 © 2017, Enterprise Management Associates “User experience management” Targets internal end users “Customer experience management” Targets external consumers, including partners and suppliers as well as direct customers “Digital experience management” A unified approach to both user experience and customer experience to optimize business outcomes
7. IT & DATA MANAGEMENT RESEARCH, INDUSTRY ANALYSIS & CONSULTING USE CASES: Business Impact Narrowly Led for Bringing Greatest Value (But Performance Was More Prevalent) 7 © 2017 Enterprise Management Associates, Inc. 58% 57% 42% 33% 30% 23% BUSINESS IMPACT: Monitoring and optimizing IT-delivered business services based on user interactions and business outcomes PERFORMANCE: Monitoring and optimizing the effective delivery of business services to their end consumers in terms of performance and security concerns (latency, transactional efficiency) CHANGE MANAGEMENT: Validating the impacts of change, including impacts derived from the move to cloud or the introduction of new application releases into production DESIGN: Monitoring and optimizing the effective design and content of business services for their end consumers (navigation, relevance) USER PRODUCTIVITY: Monitoring and optimizing end-user interaction with business services, including the efficiency with which the service is utilized in support of business processes SERVICE USAGE: Monitoring the frequency and other usage patterns with which users (by type or group) leverage IT-delivered business services When you talk about digital experience management, which of the below do you see as bringing your organization and business the most value? Sample Size = 152, Valid Cases = 152, Total Mentions = 369
8. IT & DATA MANAGEMENT RESEARCH, INDUSTRY ANALYSIS & CONSULTING More Than Half Viewed Digital Experience Management as Equally Shared Between the Business and IT 8 © 2017 Enterprise Management Associates, Inc. 20% 21% 59% DIGITAL EXPERIENCE MANAGEMENT IS PRIMARILY A BUSINESS CONCERN. DIGITAL EXPERIENCE MANAGEMENT IS PRIMARILY A TECHNOLOGY CONCERN. DIGITAL EXPERIENCE MANAGEMENT IS EQUALLY A BUSINESS AND A TECHNOLOGY CONCERN. How would you complete this statement? "In our organization, digital experience management is…” Sample Size = 152
9. IT & DATA MANAGEMENT RESEARCH, INDUSTRY ANALYSIS & CONSULTING© 2017, Enterprise Management Associates Where Are Your Organization’s Digital Experience Metrics Instrumented? 1. Within/across the data center (37%) 2. At the end-user workstation/device (29%) 3. Application server/code (28%) 4. Support for VDI DEM (28%) 5. Network transit end-to-end internal net (28%) 6. Network transit through the SP cloud (28%) 7. At the endpoint mobile device (27%) 8. Instrumentation for containers/microservices (25%) 9. At the remote office location (24%) 9
10. IT & DATA MANAGEMENT RESEARCH, INDUSTRY ANALYSIS & CONSULTING Transactional Reconstruction, Synthetics, Network Tracing Lead DEM Tooling 10 © 2017 Enterprise Management Associates, Inc. 43% 40% 33% 29% 29% 28% 26% 25% 21% 19% 0% END-TO-END TRANSACTIONAL RECONSTRUCTION… ACTIVE OR SYNTHETIC TRANSACTIONS NETWORK TRACE CODE INJECTION AT THE ENDPOINT PRE-DEPLOYMENT FUNCTIONAL TESTING PASSIVE OR OBSERVED TRANSACTIONS SDK INSTRUMENTATION TRANSACTIONAL REPLAY AGENT-BASED CAPTURE AT THE DESKTOP BYTE CODE INSTRUMENTATION OTHER Which of the following technologies is your organization using for digital experience monitoring? Sample Size = 134, Valid Cases = 134, Total Mentions = 393
11. IT & DATA MANAGEMENT RESEARCH, INDUSTRY ANALYSIS & CONSULTING© 2017, Enterprise Management Associates Where Are You LEAST EFFECTIVE in Digital, Customer and/or User Experience Management? 1. Identifying the root cause of problems (30%) 2. Communicating the business impact of IT services to the LOB (28%) 3. Capturing how often and by whom services are used (28%) 4. Understanding the performance impact of 3rd party services (e.g. cloud or CDNs) (26%) 5. Measuring true end-user satisfaction (26%) 11
12. IT & DATA MANAGEMENT RESEARCH, INDUSTRY ANALYSIS & CONSULTING 3 Top Recommendations: Focus on Process, Be Selective in Technology, and Prioritize for Key Applications 12 © 2017 Enterprise Management Associates, Inc. 18% 18% 18% 16% 13% 10% 7% FOCUS ON PROCESS AND COORDINATION ACROSS GROUPS WITHIN IT. BE SELECTIVE IN YOUR TECHNOLOGY INVESTMENTS. PRIORITIZE APPLICATIONS AND FOCUS ON THOSE MOST CRITICAL TO THE BUSINESS. GET BETTER EXECUTIVE BUY-IN/SUPPORT. FOCUS ON BETTER DIALOG BETWEEN IT AND THE BUSINESS. CREATE OVERLAY TEAMS TO ENABLE MORE EFFECTIVE LIFECYCLE DIGITAL EXPERIENCE MANAGEMENT. SPEND MORE TIME GETTING TO KNOW END-USER/CUSTOMER BEHAVIOR/PERSPECTIVES. Sample Size = 152
13. IT & DATA MANAGEMENT RESEARCH, INDUSTRY ANALYSIS & CONSULTING© 2017, Enterprise Management Associates EMA’s Top Ten Recommendations for Going Forward 1. DEM projects should be run by senior management—ideally CIO or CEO. 2. Process and dialog are critical. 3. DEM benefits many IT silos and should address all critical portfolio applications. 4. Broad monitoring and advanced automation can deliver huge gains in efficiency. 5. DEM should address the full IT infrastructure stack. 6. Begin with a few critical use cases and build from there 7. Budget and plan appropriately. 8. Choose a DEM solution that delivers the right metrics. Don’t fall into the “technology-for-technology’s sake” trap. 9. DEM investments should be cloud-ready, and support agile and DevOps. 10. Don’t ignore DEM! 13
14. © 2014 Riverbed Technology. All rights reserved. 14 End User Devices WAN LAN Web-Servers App-Servers Databases ! OS failure ! Device error ! Congestion ! Configuration errors ! Broken link ! Code error Many potential causes of poor Digital Experience ! Memory Leak
15. © 2014 Riverbed Technology. All rights reserved. 15 Using Multiple, Disjointed Tools is Ineffective in Managing Digital Experience, and… App-ServersWAN LAN End User Devices LAN Users are complaining…but IT does not know what is causing the issue! App is unresponsive My PC is very slow Network is running slow Web-pages not loading! Network OK Infra OK Network OK Infra OK App OK Web-servers OK
16. © 2014 Riverbed Technology. All rights reserved. 16 …Creates Problems Throughout the App Lifecycle Improve Understand Resolve Difficulty understanding current performance levels for end users, applications, network & infrastructure. Challenge to determine underlying root cause of performance issues that impact performance. Unable to determine areas that require new development or application acceleration.
17. © 2014 Riverbed Technology. All rights reserved. 17 ? WHAT IS THE AGGREGATE ENVIRONMENT IMPACT ON DIGITAL EXPERIENCE? Need for Digital Experience Management End User Devices WAN LAN Web-Servers App-Servers Databases ?How is the app performance impacting the a user group? ? Database failures causing issue? ? Why is the Home Page slow? ? How is the overall network response time impacting experience? ? What is the impact of WAN optimization on experience? ? WHAT IS THE END USER EXPERIENCING ON THEIR DEVICE? SteelCentral answers ALL these questions and more!
18. © 2014 Riverbed Technology. All rights reserved. 18 SteelCentral: Digital Experience Insight & Agility InfrastructureApplications NetworksEU Devices Integrated Digital Experience Management App Dev/ Owner IT Ops/ NetOps Cloud Architects End User Services Business & IT Execs End-Users & Applications Networks & Infrastructure
19. © 2014 Riverbed Technology. All rights reserved. 19 EMA DEM Whitepaper Riverbed DEM Whitepaper DEM Free Trials DEM Solutions to Learn More about Digital Experience Management
20. © 2014 Riverbed Technology. All rights reserved. 20 Watch the Full Webinar Click to watch the full webinar now!
21. Thank You! Try SteelCentral Now!