Published on September 25, 2015
1. Al-Adha Festival Sacrifice wisdoms, provisions Way of offering Al-Uzhiah Prepared By Mohammad Shamsul Hoque Siddique Director Online Islamic University of Bangladesh Project (oiubd) Mobile: +880-1914220613 Email: email@example.com
2. What is Sacrifice َّي ِح ْض ُ األَّ ُ ةَّمَّيويَّفمَّاألنعاةَّبهيمنَّمحَّيذبام َّإلاَّتقربرَّالنحمَّأيارَّآخىَّإلىاألضحَّى َّتعالىهللا A cattle slaughtered on the day of al-Adha to the last day of An-Nahar seeking the closeness to Allah
3. The legitimacy of Animal Sacrifice Scholars are unanimously agreed on the legitimacy of sacrifice. This mentioned in Al-Mugni of Ibn Qudama(9/435); in Fathul Bary of Ibn Hazar (10/3)
4. The Virtue of Animal Sacrifice From the Quran: َ ت ْنِماَههنِإ َ ف ِ هاَّلل َرِئاَع َ ش ْم ِظَعُي ْن َمَو َكِل َ ذَِِ ُ ُ ُ ْق ْ ال ََ ْ ْق[الحج:32.] That [is so] and whoever honors the symbols of Allah, indeed it is from the piety of his heart. [ Sura Al-Hajj:32]
5. The Virtue of Animal Sacrifice From the Tradition of Prophet Mohammad (SAW) َّصلىي ِبَّالن ُتْعِم ََّس َال َ َّقـَّهَّعنهللاَّى ضرَّـَّ ِاءَرَب ْ َّال ِنَعَّ َال َ ق َ َّف ُب ُ ط ْ خََّيمَّوسلهَّعليهللا"َّنِإ َّم ُ َّث،َي ِلَص ُ َّن ْن َ َّأا َ ذ ََّهاَنِمْوََّي ْنَِّم ُ أ َدْب َ َّنا ََّم َلو َ أَّ َ ذ ََّه َلَع َ َّف ْن َم َ َّف، َر َحْنَن َ َّف َع ِجْر َ َّنَّ َابَص َ َّأ ْد َ ق َ َّفا َُّه ُم ِد َ قَُّي ٌم ْح َ َّل َو َُّها َمنِإ َ َّف َر َح َ َّن ْن َمََّو،اَن َ تن ُسَّ َ َّشيَِّف ِك ُس ُّ َّالن َنَِّم َسْي َ َّل، ِهِل ْه َ َّألَّ ٍءْى".َّوُب َ َّأ َال َ ق َ ف ََّي ِلَص ُ َّأ ْن َ َّأ َلْب َ َّق ُت ْحَب َ َّذ َِّاَّلل َلو ُسَرَّاََّي َ ةَدْرُبٍَّةن ِس َُّم ْنَِّم ٌرْي َ َّخ ٌ ةَع َ ذ ََّجي ِدْنِعََّو،.َّ َال َ ق َ ف" ََّح َ َّأ ْنََّعَيِوف ُ َّت ْو َ َّأ َيِز ْج َ َّت ْن َ لََّو،اَهَان َ ك ََّماَه ْ لَع ْاجَّ َك َدْعََّب ٍد". Bukhari: 5556
6. The Virtue of Animal Sacrifice Translation Narrated Al-Bara': I heard the Prophet ( ﷺ) delivering a sermon, and he said (on the Day of `Id- Allah. a), "The first thing we will do on this day of ours is that we will offer the `Id prayer, then we will return and slaughter our sacrifices; and whoever does so, then indeed he has followed our tradition, and whoever slaughtered his sacrifice (before the prayer), what he offered was just meat that he presented to his family, and that was not a sacrifice." Abu Burda got up and said, "O Allah's Messenger ( ﷺ!) I slaughtered the sacrifice before the prayer and I have got a Jadha'a which is better than an old sheep." The Prophet ( ﷺ) said, "Slaughter it to make up for that, but it will not be sufficient for anybody else after you." Bukhari: 5560
7. The Wisdom Behind Animal Sacrifice Total submission to the will of Allah 1
8. The Wisdom behind Animal Sacrifice Being ready to sacrifice whatever you have for the shake of Allah 2
9. The Wisdom behind Animal Sacrifice Keeping patience while you are required to give away the most beloved thing to you. 3
10. The Wisdom behind Animal Sacrifice Walking steadfast in the way of Allah and stoning satan’s temptations. Walk Steadfast 4
11. The Wisdom behind Animal Sacrifice Give if you want receive 5
12. The Provision of Animal Sacrifice Muslims scholars have disputed over its provision: Majority of Muslim scholars َّةَّمؤكدةسن Emphasised Sunnah The First Group
13. Proofs of the First Group َّقالتَّقالاَّعنههللاَّي ضرَّةَّسلممَّأنع:َّوسلمهَّعليهللاَّىَّصلهللاَّلسور: ((َََّّي َ ال َ َّفَي ِحَضَُّي ْن َ َّأ ْم ُ ك ُد َح َ َّأَادَر َ أََّو ُر ْ شَع ْ َّال ِت َ ل َ خََّدا َ ذِإَّااًْي َ ََِِِّر َ شََََّوِِِرَع َ ََّ ْنَِّمس َم)) 1 Umm Salama reported Allah's Messenger ( ﷺ) having said this: When any one of you intending to sacrifice the animal enters in the month (of Dhu'l-Hijja) he should not get his hair or nails touched (cut). Muslim: 1977 Sunnah Muakkadah
14. Proofs of the First Group ََّر ْ ق َ َّأ ٍشْب َ كَِّبَر َم َ َّأمَّوسلهَّعليهللاَّىَّصلَِّاَّللَلو ُسَرَّن َ َّأ، َ ة َ شِئاََّعْنَعٍَّادَو ََّسيَِّف ُكُرْبَيََّوٍادَو ََّسيَِّف ُ أ َ طََّي َنََّيََّوَّيَِّفُر ُ ظْن َّاَه َ َّلَال َ ق َ َّفِهَِّبَي ِحَضُيَِّلِهَِّبَيِت ُ أ َ َّفٍادَو َس"َِّم ُ ل ََّه ُ ة َ شِئاََّعاَيَّ َ ةَي ْد ُ ْ َّاْلي".ََّال َ َّقم ُ ث"ٍَّر َج َحَِّباَيهِذ َح ْ اش".َّ َ ف َ فَّم ُ َّث ْت َ لَع ََّال َ َّقم ُ َّثُه َحَب َ َّذم ُ َّثُهَع َج ْض َ أ َ َّف َشْب َ ك ْ َّال َ ذ َ خ َ أََّواَه َ ذ َ خ َ أ"َّْاسِبآََّوٍدم َح َُّمْنَِّمْلب َ ق َ َّتمُهَّاللَِّاَّلل ِمَّْنِمََّوٍدم َح َُّم ِل ٍَّدم َح َُّمِةم ُ أ".َِّهَِّبىحََّضم ُ ث. َّمَّمسلِاور(1967) 2 Sunnah Muakkadah
15. Proof of the First Group 'A'isha reported that Allah's Messenger ( ﷺ) commanded that a ram with black legs, black belly and black (circles) round the eyes should be brought to him, so that he should sacrifice it. He said to 'A'isha: Give me the large knife, and then said: Sharpen it on a stone. She did that. He then took it (the knife) and then the ram; he placed it on the ground and then sacrificed it, saying: Bismillah, Allah- humma Taqabbal min Muhammadin wa Al-i-Muhammadin, wa min Ummati Muhammadin (In the name of Allah," O Allah, accept [this sacrifice] on behalf of Muhammad and the family of Muhammad and the Umma of Muhammad" ). Muslim:1967 2 Sunnah Muakkadah
16. Proof of the First Group عكرمة:((َّلَّويقو،َّلحماهَّليَّأَترنهميرَّبدىَّاألضحمَّيويَّيبعثنسَّعبانَّابنكا:َّلقنمََِّّهذلَّفقتي َّعباسنَّابةأضحي))َّيَّالبيهقِاور(َّوالسننرَّاآلثاةمعرف:14/15) 3 Traditions of some Sahabis Ibn Abbas would send me on the day of Al-Adha with two Dirham to buy him some meats and would say: whoever you meet tell him this is the sacrifice of Ibn Abbas. Baihaqi: Marifatul Asar Was Sunan:14/15 Sunnah Muakkadah
17. Proof of the First Group َّقالهَّعنهللاَّي ضرَّيَّاألنصاردَّمسعوىََّأنع(:َّينَّأةَّمخافرَّْلوسيَّوإنىَّاألضحعَّألديإنَّيانرَّجيىر َّعليمَّحتهأن)َّيَّالبيهقِاور:(9/265) 4 Traditions of some Sahabis Ibn Masud Al-Ansari (RAA) Said: Indeed I some time leave the sacrifice, though I am, certainly, a rich, fearing that my neighbor would consider it as an obligatory upon me. Baihaqi: (9/265) Sunnah Muakkadah
18. Proof of the First Group َّقالةَّغفلنَّبدَّسوينع:((َّبالليَّللقا:َّبديكتَّضحيوَّليَّأبالتَّكنام,َّاألنَّثمذَّآخ ْوألنَّةضحي َّأضحينَّأنَّميَّإلبَّأحوَّفهرَّمقتنَّمسكيىَّعلهَّبقفأتصد)) َّقازَّالردَّعبِاور:(4/385) 5 Traditions of some Sahabis Suyaid Ibn Gaflah narated: Bilal said to mey: I would not care if I offered a cock as a sacrifice. Rather I would love to to take the price of the sacrifice and gave it away in charity to a very poor man.Abdurrazzaq: 4/385 Sunnah Muakkadah
19. The Provision of Animal Sacrifice Imam Abu Hanifah, Ibn Taimiyah and Shawkani َّرَّاْلوسىَّعل ٌب ِواج Obligatory upon the rich The Second Group
20. Proofs of the Second Group َكِبَرِل ِلَص َ فْر َح ْ انَو َّالكوثرةرسو:2 1From the Quran: Allah Ta`la Said: “So pray to your Lord and offer sacrifice [to Him alone] Surah Al-Kawthar:2
21. Proof of the Second Group عنجندببنسفيانالبجليقال:((ضحينامعَّلسورهللاصلىهللاعليهوسلمأضحيةذات يومفإذاأناسقدذبحواضحاياهمقبلالصالةفلماانصرفآهمرالنبيصلىهللاعليه وسلمأنهمقدذبحواقبلالصالةفقالمنذبحقبلالصالةفليذبحمكانهاَّأخر،ىومنكان لميذبححتىصلينافليذبحعلىاسمهللا)) َّيَّالبخارِروا( :5500)َّمَّمسلو( :1960) 2 From the Sunnah:
22. Proof of this condition Allah Ta`ala Said: That they may witness benefits for themselves and mention the name of Allah on known days over what He has provied for them of [sacrificial ] animals. Surah 22-Al-hajj 1 َّتعالىلقا: ْ ذَيَو ْمُه َ ل َعِفا َ ن َم وا ُدَه ْ شَيِلاهي َ أ يِف ِ هاَّلل َم ْاس اوُر ُ كٍم ِة َيمِهَب نِم ْمُه َ ق َ زَر ا َم ى َ لَع ٍات ََم ُ ُْع َمِامَع ْ ن َ ْ اْل[الحج:28]
23. Proofs of this condition Prophet (SAW) used to sacrifice two horned rams which were white with black marking, and would utter the name of Allah and Allah is Most Great and put his foot on their sides. Sunan an-Nasa`i:4416 2 َّصلى َِّاَّلل ُلو ُسَرَّ َان َ َّك َال َ َّق، ٍكِال ََّم ُنَّْب ُس َ ن َ َّأنعَّْب َ كَِّبي ِحَضَُّيمَّوسلهَّعليهللاَّ ِنْي َ ش َِّب َ كُيََّوي ِم َسَُّي َان َ كََّو ِنْي َ نَر ْ ق َ َّأ ِنْي َح َ ل ْم َ أََّيَِّبا َمُه ُحَب ْ ذََّيُهُتْي َ أَرَّ ْد َ ق َ لََّو ُرَّى َ لََّعُه َ ل ْجِرَّااع ِاضََّوِِ ِد َّا َمِه ِاح َ ف ِص.))َّالنسائيِاور:4416
24. Proofs of this condition Jabir (RAA) narrated that Allah's Messenger ( ﷺ) said: "Sacrifice only a full-grown animal unless it is difficult for you, in which case you should sacrifice a (six to ten month old) sheep." Reported by Muslim : (1772) 3 َّوسلمهَّعليهللاَّىَّصلهللاَّلسورَّلَّقالَّقارَّجابنع: (("َّ ا ةن ِس َُّمَلَِّإاو ُحَب ْ ذ َ َّت َ َل,َُّسْعََّي ْن َ َّأَلِإََّع َ ذ ََّجاو ُحَب ْ ذَت َ َّف ْم ُ كْي َ لََّع َرَّ َنَِّم ا ة َِّن ْ ألض َ ا"))َّمسلمِاور:1772
25. Proofs of this condition 4 Ibn Abdul Barr (At-Tamheed:23/188) Ibn Rushd (Bidayatul Muztahid:1/430), Nababi (Al-Majmoo: 8/393 ) and Sanaani ( Subulus Salam:4/95) narrated consensus on this mater. The consensus
26. The conditions for validity of sacrifice 1 Must be of cattle : camel, cow, bull, Ox, buffalo, sheep, goat etc. Camel Buffalo Ox Bull Cow Must be at least 5 years old Must be at least 2 years old Must be at least 2 years old Must be at least 2 years old Must be at least 2 years old
27. The conditions for validity of sacrifice 1 Must be of cattle : camel, cow, bull, buffalo, sheep, goat etc. Lamb Goat SheepGoat Goat Must be at least 1 years old Must be at least 1 years old Must be at least 1 years old Must be at least 6 months old Must be at least 1 years old
28. Being Sound from Defect 1 Defect Obviously Cecum 2
29. Being Sound from Defect 2 Defect Lame: obviously disabled in leg of foot 2
30. Being Sound from Defect 3 Defect Obviously sick 2
31. Being Sound from Defect 4 Defect Very skinny animal which has no flesh in the body. 2
32. Proof on this condition َّلَّقابزَّعانَّبءارَّالبنع:((َّوأصابعيهَّبأصابعرَّوأَامَّسلوَّهَّعليهللاَّىَّصلهللاَّلسورَّتسمعَّنَّمرأقص َّلَّيقوهَّبأصبعرَّيشيمَّسلوَّهَّعليهللاَّىَّصلهللاَّلسورَّعأصاب:اءرَّالعواَّالضحاينَّمزَّيجوَلَّنالبيَّاهرعو َّاَّمرضهنَّالبيةيضرَّواْلاَّعرجهنَّالبيءوالعرجاَّيَّلتءوالعجفاََّلقيْن ُ ت َّدَّداويََّأنَّسنحَّصحي،َّياأللبان:2802
33. Proof on this condition "I heard the Messenger of Allah say" - and he gestured with his fingers, but his fingers were shorter than the fingers of the Messenger of Allah - he said "It is not permissible to offer as a sacrifice an animal that clearly has one bad eye, a lame animal that is obviously lame, as sick animal that is obviously sick, or an animals that is so emaciated that it is as if there is no marrow in its bones. Sunan an-Nasa'i 4371
34. Condition-03 Sacrifice must take place on the time phase ordained in Sharaiah There are two opinions amid Muslim scholars about the ending time of sacrifice offering
35. Condition-03 Sacrifice must take place on the time phase ordained in Sharaiah ending time is the sunset of the 12th Dhul Hijjah Imam Abu Hanifah, Imam Malik and Imam Ahmad went to this opinion. First Opinion
36. Condition-03 Sacrifice must take place on the time phase ordained in Sharaiah ،َّعنهماهللاَّي ضرَّرَّعمنَّابنع((َّتؤكنَّأىَّنهمَّوسلهَّعليهللاَّىَّصلهللاَّلسورَّنأَّمَّلحول َّثالثدَّبعياألضاح)) Proof supporting this opinion Narratedby IbnUmar(RAA): That the messenger of Allah prevented themeat of sacrificial animalafter threedays. 1
37. Condition-03 Sacrifice must take place on the time phase ordained in Sharaiah Proof supporting this opinion Many Sahabis like Umar ibn Al-Khattab, Ali, Ibn Umar, Ibn Abbas, Abu Hurairah, Anas (Radia-Allahu Anhum) specified the day of Eid and two days that follow for offering sacrifice. And it is not known that anyone objected to this attitude. 2
38. Condition-03 Sacrifice must take place on the time phase ordained in Sharaiah Proof supporting this opinion There is difference between Ayaamut Tasharik and Ayaamun Nahar. Ayaamut Tashrik are three days after Eid day, however Ayaamun Nahar are two days after Eid. And sacrifice is offered in Ayaamun Nahar( Days of slaughtering sacrificial animals) 3
39. Condition-03 Sacrifice must take place on the time phase ordained in Sharaiah Closing time is the sunset of the 13th Dhul Hijjah Imam Shafi, Ibn Taymiah, Ibn Qyeem and Shawkani went to this opinion. Second Opinion
40. Condition-03 Sacrifice must take place on the time phase ordained in Sharaiah عَّنَّقالهَّأنمَّوسلهَّعليهللاَّىَّصلىَّالنبنَّع،َّعنههللاَّي ضرَّمَّمطعنَّبرجبي(:كَّىَّمنل َّذبحقَّالتشريمَّأيالَّوك،منحر) Proofs supporting their opinion Narrated by Zubayr Ibn Mut`im: Prophet (SAW) said: Whole Mina is a slaughtering place and whole of the Tashreek days are for slaughter.
41. How slaughter an animal `Bismillahi wallahu Akbar’ should be uttered while slaughtering Then say: O Allah! This is from You and for You, this is on my behalf ( If slaughtering on behalf of other say his/her name) then say : O Allah! Accept this sacrifice from -- (say your name and all other people your slaughtering on behalf of)
42. How slaughter an animal 1 Throat
43. How slaughter an animal 2 esophagus
44. How slaughter an animal 3 Right Jugular vain
45. How slaughter an animal 4 Left Jugular vain
Actually, there are many misconceptions filling the mind of many non-Muslims, who fail to perceive the significance and wisdom behind acts of worship in Islam.
Muslims fulfill the meaning of sacrifice by demonstrating piety in the form of charity, not by taking the life of an innocent animal. Islam is a religion ...
Animal sacrifice is the ritual killing and offering of an animal to appease or maintain favour with a deity. Such forms of sacrifice are practised within ...
Sacrifice The Sacrifice of "Eid al-Adha" AN ISLAMIC PERSPECTIVE AGAINST ANIMAL SACRIFICE by Shahid 'Ali Muttaqi Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim Every year ...
SACRIFICE IN ISLAM By Norm Phelps first published in SA Global Affairs, September 2010. Muslims fulfill the meaning of sacrifice by demonstrating piety in ...
Atonement by Blood Sacrifice in Islam. The three great theistic religions of the world all commemorate in some solemn way the celebrated sacrifice on Mount ...
I should just do a series called "An Athiests guide to..." this one is on Eid... I bought a Punjabi... went to a mosque... prayed towards Mecca ...
Is Islam animal sacrifice necessary? Why do they kill animals? They say that the way they kill animals doesn't cause pain, but what kind of ...
The origin and sacrifice of Qurbani. Islam traces the history of Qurbani to Cain (Qaabeel) and Abel (Haabeel). Abel (Haabeel) was the first human being to ...
Halloween in Islam 5. ... Why do Muslims sacrifice an animal on this day? ... The meat from the sacrifice of Eid al-Adha is mostly given away to ...