Published on March 14, 2014
Angela Kennedy Digital technology in physical education for students with mobility impairments
1. Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity 2. Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments 3. Model Digital-Age Work and Learning 4. Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility 5. Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership NETS-T addressed
Levels of physical activity among adults and children 0% 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% Vigorous Activity Sustained Activity No activity Adults 12-21 yrs
Can physical education instruction realistically take place in an online environment, fully or in part?
Do you think physical education is important for all students?
The American Sport Education Program states that sports participation is important because it helps students • appreciate the importance of personal health and fitness • develop a positive self-image • engage in teamwork • develop social skills with their peers and adults • learn to manage successes and failures • respect others Why is physical education important for all students?
• Helps maintain healthy weight • More energy • Reduces risks for cancer, heart disease, and diabetes • Reduction in secondary conditions associated with disability • Improves bone density and reduces risk for osteoporosis The value of physical activity
Exercise may improve grades!
Approximately 2.8 million school- aged children in the U.S. have a disability. This is approximately 5.2% of all students. Approximately 9.1 million school- aged children are obese. This is approximately 17% of all students. Prevalence of disabilities and obesity among school-aged children
• Obese children may have issues with endurance and suffer from mobility impairments due to the additional weight they carry. • Additional weight and fat accumulating around the joints can lead to orthopedic problems. • Obese children are far more likely to suffer from breathing problems, such as asthma. • Obese children are often targets of teasing and bullying, particularly in PE classes. Why is obesity a consideration?
• Students may feel less apprehensive in an online environment, leading to increased self- esteem and exercise adherence. • Family participation and parental oversight will likely lead to permanent lifestyle changes. • Students can engage in activities specifically structured to their needs and interests. • Students can participate in activities with others who have similar backgrounds. How online PE courses can encourage physical activity among students with mobility issues
• Through the use of online videos, students can view skills demonstrations as frequently as necessary for competence. • Instructors can customize and provide students with training and motivational materials based on the student’s pre- existing conditions and goals. How online PE courses can encourage physical activity continued
Questions or Comments?
1. National Association for Sport and Physical Education’s Position for Online Physical Education: http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/curriculum/healthfulliving/resources/onlinepeguidelines. pdf 2. PE Central is a fantastic website with PE lesson plans for grades K-12, assessments, classroom management, and adapted physical education. This is a direct link to that area of the site: http://www.pecentral.org/adapted/adaptedmenu.html 3. Disability*gov has an excellent set of Assistive Technology resources and external links to other useful databases. This is a direct link to that area of the site: https://www.disability.gov/education/educator_resources/assistive_technology 4. Nick Fitness offers video demonstrations of workouts performed by a paraplegic professional bodybuilder. http://www.nickfitness.com/exercise_database 5. Sparkpeople is a great website that allows its users to create nutrition plans and has customized workouts based on one’s current fitness level. Here is a chair exercise video found on this site: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=720. Resources
Bhatti, S. Problems caused by obesity. Retrieved February 12, 2012, from http://www.buzzle.com/articles/problems-caused-by-obesity.html Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2011, April 21). Childhood overweight and obesity. Retrieved February 11, 2012, from http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/childhood/data.html Disabled World. (2011, November 17). U.S. disability statistics of school age children. Retrieved from February 11, 2012, from http://www.disabled- world.com/disability/statistics/child-stats.php Lumpkin, A. (2008). Introduction to Physical Education, Exercise Science, and Sports Studies, 7th Edition. New York, New York: McGraw Hill. National Association for Sport and Physical Education. (2007, July). Initial guidelines for online physical education. Retrieved February 12, 2012, from http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/curriculum/healthfulliving/resources/onlinepe guidelines.pdf References
NoodleGames. (2009, March 28). Connection between exercise and learning- CBS. Video posted to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7GLPOmTYEE. Ribble, M., & Bailey, G. (2007). Digital citizenship in schools. Washington, DC: ISTE. ISBN: 978-1-56484-232-9 WheelChairBB (2009, February 25). Nick Scott’s Journey. Video posted to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_jz5CJnsng&feature=related. Photos used in this presentation were obtained from • http:// www.iclipart.com • http://www.flickr.com • Creative Commons Licensing References continued
(Angela Merkel.) ... Kennedy; Kiesinger; Kretschmann; Kohl; Künast; ... Impressum | Datenschutz | Sitemap (c) 2012-2016 Philosophische Sprüche und Zitate ...
Slide 1 By: Michael Yelverton Emma Buttridge Angela Rust Feb. 7, 2012 Pd. 5 Slide 2 The problem is that in this world today air pollution is very broad.
Slide 1 Agreement Review: Pronouns Angela Gulick CAS Writing Specialist January 2012 Slide 2 Introduction This workshop provides a general overview that ...
Anghelina Alexandru, Angela Bidu-Vrănceanu (Coord.), Terminologie Și Terminologii II, Editura Universității Din București, București, 2012, 247 p.
motivierende spr che und texte ... download dans lintÉrÊt lenfant joseph goldstein / download dark side angela knight ... kalendarium oktober 2012 ...
Title: Trade Catalog - Spring 2012, Author: Ave Maria Press, Name: spr_12_trade_cat ... Published: 2012-04-04T00:00:00.000Z. New releases for spring 2012.
Faculty of Medical Educators Awards 2012. ... Tue, 17/04/2012 - 16:55. ... Mrs Ceilidh Kennedy: SpR ENT, NHS Tayside;
Title: Spring 2012, Author: Gannon University, Name: gu_spr_2012_mag_final, Length: ... As of the Spring 2012 Semester ... , Dana Kennedy Fallon, ...