Published on September 26, 2014
1. Documentary A trailer by Megan Fulham
2. What is a documentary? • Documentaries do not present us with real life, instead they construct a particular version of the real world; • Documentaries use specific film techniques to inform, convince and persuade, as a means to position viewers to respond in specific ways; • Documentaries mediate meaning; they stand between the subject and the viewer, providing some version or interpretation of this subject (hence mediating meaning).
3. Documentary as a genre • A documentary is type of film which creates, through the use of certain conventions, the illusion that the events are not controlled by the filmmakers. • Social functions of documentary : – To record, reveal, or preserve; – To persuade or promote – To analyse or interrogate – To express • General aims of documentary (there are many more specific aims) – to entertain – to educate – to persuade – to inform
4. Audiences expectations • What we see and hear is grounded, in some way, in the real world; • The notion of objectivity, impartiality, fairness in representation; • That the audience wants to learn something
5. Modes of documentaries It is possible to divide documentary, itself a genre, into sub-genres or categories. It is argued that there are so many different types of documentary that we cannot classify them all clearly. Below is a broad list. See the following link for more details : • Expository documentary : uses a narrator (voice of authority) to address audience, explaining and interpreting "the reality" of what is being presented. • Interactive - the presence of the documentarist (documentary maker) is represented in the film; selection of material is foregrounded. • Observational - fly-on-wall; creates impression of events unfolding naturally in front of camera. (Eg : docu-soap like British TV show "Airport", following groups of airport workers through a 24 hour day.) • Reflexive - the process is as much about making a documentary as about the subject of the documentary. (Bowling for Columbine). Camera and crew are acknowledged, sometimes even part of the action (NB Columbine). • Docu-drama: Dramatic reconstruction of real-life events using actors or original participants.; fictionalised facts.
6. Forms and styles of documentaries • Travel / adventure • Diacritic form (like a diary) • Fly-on-the-wall (camera as observer) • Docu-soaps • Investigative • Docu-drama • Personal • Propaganda
7. Values of documentaries • Educative; • Illuminative (shedding light on a topic or issue); • Empathetic (engaging us emotionally with a subject); • Social and political functions (criticising, analysing, satirising).
Small deck used during Use Case roundtable at JiveWorld 2014. On each on the 14 ta...
This 30 minute presentation was given at the 2014 Rochester Young Professionals En...
Buy Introduction to Documentary by Bill Nichols ... An Introduction to Film Studies", as an explanation of how we view the importance of film in society.
3 What Gives Documentary Films a Voice of Their Own? Download PDF (555.4 KB) pp. 67-93 If documentaries represent issues and aspects ...
... introduction to the most ... Introduction to Documentary identifies the distinguishing qualities of documentary and teaches the viewer how to read ...
"There is a large literature on the scholarship and pedagogy of documentary film, much of it published in the last decade and much of it indebted to ...
Introduction to Documentaryprovides a one ... Introduction to Documentaryprovides the foundational key to ... both on issues in documentary film ...
Availability for Introduction to Documentary, Second Edition. ... Film Studies: An Introduction. Film Studies. Minding Movies: Observations on the Art, ...
Documentary Film: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions) eBook: Patricia Aufderheide: Amazon.de: Kindle-Shop
Venue AFTRS Sydney Date Apr 30 2016 - May 01 2016 Attendance Pattern 2 Sessions, Sat & Sun, 9am to 5pm Tutor Dylan Blowen Course fee $420 / $ 378
Bill Nichols (born 1942) is an American film critic and theoretician best known for his pioneering ... Introduction to Documentary, 2nd edition ...