Published on October 7, 2014
1. By:Samantha Stiles
2. Characters • America Vega (Main Character) • Dr. Maureen Brennan (Psychiatrist) • Reggie Harper (Mrs. Harper’s Brother) • Mrs. Harper (Foster Mom) • Brooklyn (Brother)
3. More Characters • Fish (Roomate) • Marshall (Bully) • Susana (Mom) • Liza (Friend)
4. Eco Map
5. SUMMARY AMERICA IS A SEVENTEEN YEAR OLD BI-RACIAL MALE. MOTHER WAS ADDICTED TO CRACK AND LEFT HIM AS A YOUNG CHILD, AND SOON WAS PUT INTO FOSTER CARE. HE LIVED WITH MRS. HARPER AND REGGIE. BECAME LOST IN THE FOSTER CARE SYSTEM AND PUT INTO THE YOUTH TREATMENT CENTER AFTER ATTEMPTING SUICIDE.
6. SUMMARY CONTINUED DR. MAUREEN BRENNAN WAS HIS THERAPIST IN THE YOUTH TREATMENT CENTER. HE WAS ANGRY, AND DEVELOPED MALADAPTIVE BEHAVIORS WHEN FUNCTIONING IN SOCIETY. DR. BRENNAN SUPPORTS AND ENCOURAGES AMERICA TO CONFRONT HIS PAST AND SOON AGE OUT OF THE FOSTER CARE SYSTEM. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3-myivwc4I.
7. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGy34G0bQjw. What is Foster Care? • “Supervised care for delinquent or neglected children usually in an institution or substitute home” (Princeton).
8. Person-In-Environment (PIE) “The Person-in-Environment (PIE) is a system for assessing problems in social functioning, developed by Karl and Wandrei.” Social Functioning Lecroy & Jose B. Ashford
9. Four Factors of Client Problems Factor I Social-role Problems Example: Abuse Factor II Environmental Problems Example: Foster Care Factor III Mental Disorders Example: Symptoms of PTSD, Depression, and Anxiety Factor IV Physical Disorders Example: Did not display any in movie
10. Assessing Clients by PIE System 1. What are the problems in social functioning presented by the client? 2. What problems exist in the social institution in this community that are affecting the client? 3. Are any mental health problems or strengths present? 4. What are physical problems and strengths are noted? 5. What strengths and resources does the client possess to deal with their concerns, issues, or problems? (Lecroy & Ashford)
11. Applying the Multidimensional Framework Psychological Hypothesis Social Hypothesis
12. Psychological Hypothesis • Cognitive Development and Information Processing • Psychological Hazards and Risks • Social Cognition and Regulation
13. Cognitive Development and Information Processing • Client’s attention span, memory, concentration, and capacity for abstract thought • Client’s reality base • Client’s learning abilities and performance • Client’s language ability and vocabulary
14. Cognitive Development and Information Processing • Client’s self-perception • Client’s emotional responses • Client’s self-statements
15. Psychological Hazards and Risks • Client’s experience of past life events • Client’s experience with recent life events
16. Social Cognition and Regulation • Client’s social knowledge about others • Client’s capacity for empathy • Client’s capacity for impulse control • Client’s capacity for emotional regulation
17. Social Cognition and Regulation • Client’s social skills • Client’s social problem solving skills • Client’s maladaptive behavior patterns • Client’s coping skills
18. Social Hypothesis • Groups and Families • Communities and Support Systems
19. Groups and Families • Role systems and client interactions • Family’s patterns of communications • Family’s roles
20. Communities and Support Systems • Communities of which the client is a member • Support systems available to the client • Institutional contributions to client’s problems • Organizational contributions • Multicultural gender and spiritual hypothesis
21. Coping • Listened to Music • Played Basketball • Fighting • Isolation • Dissociation
22. CRITICAL QUESTIONS • BASED ON THE INFORMATION PROVIDED, DO YOU SEE WHY AMERICA HAD DIFFICULTIES WITH… TRUST? CONTROL? SELF-ESTEEM? RELATIONSHIPS?
23. REFERENCES • America. (2009, February 9). YouTube. Retrieved November 3, 2013, from http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=yUONc6MeLwI • Ashford, J. B., & LeCroy, C. W. (2013). Human behavior in the social environment: a multidimensional (5th ed.). Australia: Brooks/Cole, Cengage Learning. • Self-Injury Awareness Video 2013. (2013, March 1). YouTube. Retrieved November 3, 2013, from https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=toOKvG9li3c
24. REFERENCES • Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders: DSM-5. (5th ed.). (2013). Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Association. • Dee, R. (Director). (2009). America [Motion picture]. America: Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.
• Presentación realizada por Verónica Lango Reynoso (candidata a PhD. en Ciencias ...
The Crisis of Journalism Reconsidered: Cultural Power Barcelona, Spain | May 1-3...
We often hear that a presentation needs a good story. But the tricky part is ...
La marcatura CE degli aggregati prodotti in un impianto di soil washing: i control...
Hermosillo, Sonora.- Para fortalecer la industria engordadora y que la producción ...
... and placed into foster care as an infant. ... Title: America (TV Movie 2009) 6.5 /10. Want to share IMDb's rating on your own site? Use the HTML below. ...
American Teens, Chinese Adoptee, Books Movies, Teenage Girls, Movies Videos, Adoption Movies, Girls Adopted, ... Annie. #movies Adoption + Foster Care Movies.
Update 3: ERics_girl: YES THEY DO THROW YOU OUT AT 18. It depends on the state you live in and what your situation is....but MOST STATES still ...
Rosie O'Donnell and the cast of "America" discuss the foster care system as it is ... of the millions of foster kids living in America.
Facts on Foster Care in America . Sections. Sections; Top Stories; Video; Election; U.S. World; ... Using the extraordinary resources of ABC ...
Foster care is a system in ... in the nation's foster care systems. African American children ... 10 foster children stays in foster care ...
The Other Side of Fear An Exploration of the American Foster Care System
L to R: Newcomer Philip Johnson and Emmy(R) Award Rosie O'Donnell star in the story of one boy's emotional journey through the foster care system in the ...