Published on October 6, 2014
1. AGILE TESTING CELEBRATE BUG PREVENTION INSTEAD OF BUG DETECTION MICHAEL PALOTAS AGILE BODENSEE, KONSTANZ 2. October 2014
2. WHO AM I? Michael Palotas Founder GRIDFUSION SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS Email: firstname.lastname@example.org @michael_palotas Head of Productivity & Test Engineering eBay International MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
3. EBAY FROM THE TOP MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
4. GRIDFUSION FROM THE TOP MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
5. EBAY FACTS Founded in 1995 Based in San Jose, California 35000 employees worldwide >100 million active buyers and sellers worldwide 3000 USD transaction volume every second MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
6. EBAY FACTS 2 billion page views every day 75 billion database calls every day >200 million downloads of eBay Inc’s mobile apps MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
7. TESTERS RAISE YOUR HANDS MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
8. DEVELOPERS RAISE YOUR HANDS MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
9. AGILE PEOPLE RAISE YOUR HANDS MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
10. WHAT I AM GOING TO TELL YOU HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH AGILE MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
11. SOME SELF REFLECTION MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
12. TEST CYCLES Traditional model - 6 months Development Test Agile - 2 weeks Development Test Development Test Development Test MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
13. THE IDEAL MIX? MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
14. WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR QUALITY? MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
15. THE BI(U)G HUNT MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
16. BUG PREVENTION? MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
17. TESTING OF THE FUTURE? Non-Stop Testing Parallel to Development All test levels are done within the sprint Testing is the job of the entire team Testers are engineers with specific “superpowers” MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
18. CORE PRINCIPLES A team is only complete with an embedded tester Focus on prevention, not detection Early involvement Lightweight approach MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
19. HORIZONTAL / VERTICAL SUPPORT HORIZONTAL SUPPORT VERTICAL VERTICAL VERTICAL TEAM 1 TEAM 2 TEAM 3 MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
20. VERTICAL SUPPORT Manual testing: Very very very very important Rapid testing / exploratory approach Focus on fast feedback Focus on primary work artifacts Domain knowledge MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
21. HORIZONTAL SUPPORT Architecture Infrastructure Tools TDD Automation Continuous Integration DevOps MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
22. HOW TEAMS EVOLVE PO UX DEV DEV DEV DEV DEV PO UX DEV DEV DEV DEV DEV SET PO UX DEV DEV DEV DEV DEV SET MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
23. EBAY AGILE TESTING MANIFESTO We believe that... By that we mean... 1 our main work product is information relevant to people who matter We give feedback about the product as early as possible in a lean way, asking questions and providing information during pair programming to prevent bugs.We report truthfully, concisely, allowing stakeholders to make informed decisions.We rapidly uncover and report significant risks to the project. 2 we as testers explore the differences between perception, desire and reality We understand that things can be different. Sometimes those differences are important. We uncover what those differences are and where they may lead to problems. We discover new information by the skilled application of exploratory testing. 3 testing is a collaborative endeavor Testing is not delegated to testers only, but should also be done by everyone else in the team. The expertise of both testers and developers enables a broader testing coverage. We closely collaborate with developers and work side-by-side every day. 4 learning about the domain is crucial to doing a good job No one has all the answers up front. Project requirements evolve over time. Rather than follow a rote plan, we learn as we test and we use what we learn to guide what we test next. We aim to understand eBay systems and share our knowledge with our peers. 5 ignorance about the domain is not a reason not to test We don't wait for a complete set of documentation and instructions before we start testing, but we apply good testing practices at any given time. 6 the space between automation and manual testing is a continuum Humans excel at qualitative analysis - we notice things. Machines do quantitative analysis very well - rapidly making boolean choices. Our approach combines the two, ensuring that machines are employed for what they do best (automation, repetition and tooling), while the rest is left to humans. 7 developing tools for the benefit of all teams supports overall productivity We can be more effective if shared tools are in place to optimize repetitive tasks and avoid solving the same problem multiple times. Those tools can either be sourced from outside or built in-house. 8 metrics are a way to start a conversation and not to end it Sometimes metrics are selected simply because they are easily available and not because their construct validity has been established. Misapplied metrics can cause a lot of harm. We use metrics to help us achieve results, hence we value inquiry metrics over evaluation metrics. http://www.developsense.com/ blog/2009/01/meaningful-metrics/ 9 we are not the gatekeepers of quality We provide information to allow others to make informed decisions, including "ship" / "no ship" decisions. We highlight risks. It is up to our stakeholders to decide what to do based on that information. 10 our approach is applicable eBay wide We believe that an agile, embedded approach fosters close working relationships between testers and other roles. It helps deliver more value more quickly and reduces unnecessary overhead.
24. HOW TO BE THIS MAGIC PERSON? MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
25. MAKE IT WORK Be part of the team Involve yourself right from the start Act as a bridge Pair Educate MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
26. ATLASSIAN Source: Andrew Prentice, Atlassian, Sydney May 2014 MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
27. THE BIG GOAL MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
28. THANK YOU! MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
29. REFERENCES http://weekendreflection.blogspot.ch/ http://perfectplate.com/ http://www.jamshid-ibrahim.net/ http://simplehomemade.net/ http://npr.org http://creatia2013.wordpress.com/ www.kaushik.net Sackmesser.ch http://betterafter50.com http://estonianfreepress.com/ MICHAEL PALOTAS - AGILE BODENSEE
Speaker: Matt Stine Developing for the Cloud Track Marc Andressen has famou...
This presentation explains how to develop a Web API in Java using (JAX-RS or Restl...
How to bring innovation to your organization by streamlining the deployment proces...
Cisco Call-control solutions can handle voice, video and data
Nathan Sharp of Siemens Energy recently spoke at the SAP Project Management in Atl...
Agile Bodensee 2015; ... Agile testing – celebrate bug prevention instead of bug detection ... Agile Testing: Bug prevention vs. bug detection from ...
Die Agile Bodensee ist die größte Konferenz in ... Agile testing – celebrate bug prevention instead of ... Agile vs. Leadership - Agile Bodensee 2013 ...
... der Agile Bodensee 2014 unter http://www.agile ... Agile testing – celebrate bug prevention instead of bug detection - Agile Bodensee ...
Case Study zu Continuous Delivery Vortrag gehalten auf der Agile Bodensee in Konstanz am 28.9.2012. Login JOIN. UPLOAD Menu. Categories. Art & Photos ...
Case Study zu Continuous Delivery Vortrag gehalten auf der Agile Bodensee in Konstanz am 28.9.2012. Docslide.us. Upload Login / Signup. Leadership;
How it works: 1. Register a free 1 month Trial Account. 2. Download as many books as you like (Personal use) 3. Cancel the membership at any time if not ...
On vous propose de venir vous détendre avec nous le temps d'une soirée, que se soit pour faire une pause pendant vos révisions, de souffler après les ...
A Collection Of Weapons Systems Obtained From The Federation Of American Scientists' Military Analysis Network. ... rocket motor testing, ... Bodensee ...