Published on October 18, 2016
1. AFFECTING CIVIC SPACE WITH UX DESIGN©
2. OUR MISSION IS TO BE ALLIES & INITIATORS FOR SOCIAL CHANGE HI THERE, WE’RE THE LEAGUE
3. WHO WE ARE We are a UX Consulting agency seeking to make a difference in the local Austin community by offering human-centered design services to nonprofit organizations.
4. “It’s not ‘us versus them’ or even ‘us on behalf of them.’ For a design thinker it has to be ‘us with them’” ~ Tim Brown, CEO and President of IDEO
5. WHAT WE DO SOCIAL OUTREACH RESEARCH DESIGN
6. ?HOW ARE WE DOING IT
7. SOCIAL OUTREACH Identify your passions Brainstorm areas of need Reach out to organizations
8. RESEARCH Contextual Interviews Field Observations Geo Data Analysis Concept Provocation
9. DESIGN Prototyping Low Cost Testing Iterative Building
10. ?HOW CAN YOU BENEFIT FROM THIS PROCESS
11. “When has a phone app changed your life or revolutionized the way you think, act, operate? [On health fitness bands] at its best it reminds me to hustle 10,000 steps a day. At its worse, it reminds me how lazy I am”. ~Tai Sunnanon
12. SOCIAL JUSTICE CAUSE VS TECHNICAL SOLUTION
13. APPLYING OUR METHOD WHEN TACKLING VOTING ISSUES
14. LATINO VOTER REGISTRATION
15. 44%OF LATINO VOTERS OUT OF 32 MILLION, THIS WILL BE THEIR FIRST PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION FOR
16. RESEARCH TIPS REDUCING DISCOMFORT & STRESS: ● Understand your context ● Safety promotes participation ● More honest responses
17. EMPATHY TIPS LEARN ABOUT THEIR MOTIVATIONS, HESITATIONS, & ASPIRATIONS: ● Naturalization = voting rights ● Resource Heavy ● Costs money to become a citizen
18. PROTOTYPE TIPS LOW COST PROTOTYPE, WHY? ● Do not prototype a finished product ● Define a question, craft a prototype that will ask it to your users ● Fail often & adapt quickly ● Test your ideas in the field
19. REFERENCES Arreola, Javier, and Alberto Altamirano. "Obstacles and Enablers to Unlock Hispanic Political Participation - Latino USA." Latino USA. National Public Radio, 23 May 2016. Web. 17 Oct. 2016. Brown, Tim. "How to Inspire Creativity and Lifelong Learning for Everyone." Design Thinking. IDEO, 09 June 2015. Web. 12 Oct. 2016. Cusido, Carmen. "The Latino Vote In 2016: Here Are 5 Takeaways." NBC News. National Broadcasting Company, 30 Jan. 2016. Web. 12 Oct. 2016. Gomboa, Suzanne. "For 2016, Almost Half the Latino Electorate Will Be Millennials." NBC News. National Broadcasting Company, 19 Jan. 2016. Web. 12 Oct. 2016. Krogstad, Jens Manuel, Mark Hugo Lopez, Gustavo López, Jeffrey S. Passel, and Eileen Patten. "Millennials Make Up Almost Half of Latino Eligible Voters in 2016." Pew Research Center Hispanic Trends Project RSS. Pew Research Center, 19 Jan. 2016. Web. 12 Oct. 2016. Sunnanon, Tai. "Hack4Equality LGBTQ Kickoff Info Panel." Hack4Equality LGBTQ Kickoff Info Panel. West Hollywood City Council Chambers, Los Angeles. 6 Aug. 2016. Youtube. Web. 12 Oct. 2016.
20. ?WANT TO BE AN ADVOCATE
21. THANK YOU.