Published on October 15, 2014
1. #GHC14 #WorkFromHome @Lauren_Schaefer Advancing the Work from Home Option Lauren Schaefer October 9, 2014 #GHC14 #WorkFromHome @Lauren_Schaefer 2014 2014
2. My Story http://rayofpinksunshine.blogspot.com/search/label/Working from Home #GHC14 #WorkFromHome @Lauren_Schaefer 2014
3. Goals Build a work from home community Share tips and techniques for being successful work from home employees Develop a plan of action for making working from home a standard option for new employees #GHC14 #WorkFromHome @Lauren_Schaefer 2014
4. What's Your Story? Break into groups of 3 to 5 Introduce yourself Share why you work from home or why you chose to attend this session Select a note taker #GHC14 #WorkFromHome @Lauren_Schaefer 2014
5. Group Discussion What are the keys to success when working from home? - Consider advertising your work, staying energized, fighting loneliness, advancing your career, etc. How can we make working from home a standard option for new employees so that women who are unable to relocate can take advantage of new job opportunities? - Begin by identifying problems, concerns, or obstacles if you don't have solutions #GHC14 #WorkFromHome @Lauren_Schaefer 2014
6. Stats in Favor of WFH • http://web.stanford.edu/~nbloom/WFH.pdf • “Home working led to a 13% performance increase” • http://www.hermanmiller.com/research/research-summaries/the-evolving-nature-of-working-at-• Summary of multiple studies • Improves productivity, recruiting, employee morale, cost savings • http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19025257 • “Professional isolation…reduces turnover intentions” • http://www.telecommutingadvantage.com/pdfs/news_and_research/TAG_Journal%20of%20Managerial%• “Home-based and main office workers reported similar levels of WLB [work life balance] support…reported similar levels of job satisfaction” • http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2009/prod_062609.html • “Telecommuting significantly increases employee productivity, work-life flexibility #GHC14 #WorkFromHome @Lauren_Schaefer 2014 and job satisfaction”
7. Stats Not in Favor of WFH • http://www.hermanmiller.com/research/research-summaries/the-evolving-nature-of-working-at-• Summary of multiple studies • Fear of stalling career, isolation, distractions, #blurredlines between work & #GHC14 #WorkFromHome @Lauren_Schaefer 2014 home life • “Employees must be empowered and trusted to do their jobs. If the culture doesn’t allow that, a telecommuting program will likely fail.” • http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19025257 • “Professional isolation negatively impacts job performance.” • http://hum.sagepub.com/content/64/11/1451.abstract • “In comparison to subordinates with managers in a traditional work mode, work experiences and outcomes are generally less positive for subordinates with teleworking managers who spend a portion of the week away from the office, and they are lower as well for subordinates with virtual managers who are away from the office full time.”
8. Studies with WFH Suggestions • http://www.hermanmiller.com/research/research-summaries/the-evolving-nature-of-working- #GHC14 #WorkFromHome @Lauren_Schaefer 2014 at-home.html • How companies can overcome the challenges of WFH: “Enrich the employee experience…designate times to connect…develop criteria and provide choices… offer the right tools” • http://www.telecommutingadvantage.com/pdfs/news_and_research/TAG_Journal %20of%20Managerial%20Psych%20Whitepaper.pdf • “Organizations must take action to improve the workplace inclusion of employees who work away from the main office…regular meetings, meet face-to-face, job location rotations.” • http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2013/08/12/how-to-succeed-at-working-from- home-2/ • 22 steps for successfully working from home • http://www.govexec.com/pdfs/viack_teleworking_mgnt_60.pdf • Guide to implementing remote work at your office
9. Got Feedback? Rate and Review the session using the GHC Mobile App To download visit www.gracehopper.org #GHC14 #WorkFromHome @Lauren_Schaefer 2014
The Thursday afternoon Advancing the Work from Home Option Birds of a Feather (BoF) session, led by IBM engineer Lauren J. Schaefer, offered a chance for ...
Home; Attend; Awards; Speakers; Students & Academics; Sponsors; FAQ; Get Involved; ... Advancing the Work from Home Option. Lauren J. Schaefer. Visibility ...
We like to encourage our visitors to ask questions about the various work from home ... option that allows you to test ... The beauty of working from home ...
Work-at-home scheme; Roles: Co-op; Employee; Employer; Internship; Job; Numerary; Permanent; Permatemp; Supernumerary; Supervisor; Volunteer; Worker class ...
Companies that will hire you to work at home. ... companies are allowing existing employees to transition to various telecommuting options, ...
By Holly Reisem Hanna. On any given day, I’ll receive an email asking, “How can I work from home … now!?” While I can offer up some general ...
Special Study Options . ... Home / / Home. Home. ... The ILR School is advancing the world of work through teaching, ...
Home / USA Immigration, Work Visa and Employment Solutions Helping people achieve their American Dream for over 15 years . ... All Visa Options;
Home-Options is about choices: it's about where you live, work, ... Have you a home to let? NEWS & EVENTS. Online Housing Application 3 May 2016