Published on March 14, 2014
Connect with UserTesting Twitter: @UserTesting | Facebook.com/Usertestingcom Tweet with other attendees: #UTWebinar A Web for Everyone Involving People with Disabilities in UX Research presents Host: Darrell Benatar, CEO of UserTesting Sarah Horton Co-author of A Web for Everyone
Topics • 10 Practical Insights from UX Research – Contextual Inquiry Interviews – Usability Studies • 10 Design Insights from UX Research
10 Practical Insights from UX Research
Contextual Inquiry Interviews
What they are • Observing users in their environment • Listening and asking questions • Audio recording and taking notes
What they’re good for • Learning different ways people work • Understanding issues people encounter • Identifying opportunities for improvement
How we use the results • Informing the audit test plan • Providing first-person perspective on issues • Presenting issues not identified in audit
1. Wear walking shoes and be ready to go to participants http://www.photos-public-domain.com
2. Offer your elbow as a guide for blind participants http://www.wikihow.com/Walk-With-a-Blind-Person
3. Take notes and have multiple modes for recording
4. Consider the full context for opportunities for improvement http://blueoutdoor.com
What they are • Observing users working through tasks • Listening, guiding, and asking questions • Understanding the intent behind behaviors • Video recording and taking notes
What they’re good for • Learning different ways people work • Identifying accessibility barriers • Identifying elements that impede success
How we use the results • Identifying usability and accessibility issues • Providing first-person perspective on issues • Building awareness and understanding
5. Partner with advocacy and support organizations
6. Make sure participants have reliable transportation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ride_(MBTA)
7. Send documents in advance and bring a signature guide http://www.rentbyownerguide.com
8. Have a doggy bed available for service dogs http://www.dogsupplynetwork.com
9. Video recording provides the most accurate representation
The fact that [company] is doing this exercise makes me optimistic for the future. I want to thank [company] for their willingness to even explore accessibility issues. 10. People appreciate efforts to improve accessibility
10 Design Insights from UX Research
1. Consistent control locations help non-visual touchscreen users
Screenshot of train schedule
2. Complex tables are difficult to track when magnified
3. Print matters, too—printed versions should support large print
4. Critical information should not be on the right side of the screen
Screenshot of focused dialog
5. Setting focus is disorienting when using screen magnification
Screenshot of product page with overlay menu
6. Overlays can be difficult to distinguish when magnified
7. Text entry is more difficult than selecting from predefined values…
…except on an iPhone with Siri
8. Swipe gestures don’t work consistently with VoiceOver
Screenshot of page with colored panels
9. Layouts with grouped elements work well when magnified
Screenshot of CNN page with elements loading
10. Slow loading pages impact accessibility, too
Accessibility + User Experience = Accessible User Experience = A Web for Everyone
UserTesting Enterprise Accelerated learning + deep insights + your target audience email@example.com
Presentación que realice en el Evento Nacional de Gobierno Abierto, realizado los ...
In this presentation we will describe our experience developing with a highly dyna...
Presentation to the LITA Forum 7th November 2014 Albuquerque, NM
Un recorrido por los cambios que nos generará el wearabletech en el futuro
Um paralelo entre as novidades & mercado em Wearable Computing e Tecnologias Assis...
×Close Share A web for everyone: involving people with disabilities in UX research with Sarah Horton
Sarah Horton "Involving People with Disabilities in UX ... our research activities Sarah Horton is ... A Web for Everyone with ...
1.A Web for Everyone Involving People with Disabilities in UX ... A web for everyone: involving people with disabilities in UX research with Sarah Horton.
Involving People with Disabilities in UX ... Ways to include people with disabilities in UX research; ... She is co-author of A Web for Everyone with ...
Today's post comes from Sarah Horton, co-author of A Web for Everyone. ... people with disabilities in user research ... 2017 UX and User Research ...
Sarah Horton and David Sloan | October 8, 2014. ... Insights for people who create great experiences. ... 5 best practices for innovative UX research.
Share your insights in the 2017 UX and User Research ... with Disabilities in User Research Sarah Horton ... A Web for Everyone. Sarah presented a ...
About Sarah Horton; ... Involving People with Disabilities in UX Research. ... A Web for Everyone: Involving People with Disabilities in UX Research.