Published on March 12, 2014
A Web for Everyone Involving People with Disabilities in UX Research presents Tweet with other attendees: #UTWebinar Connect with UserTesting Twitter: @UserTesting | Facebook.com/Usertestingcom Host: Darrell Benatar, CEO of UserTesting Sarah Horton Co-author of A Web for Everyone
Topics • 10 Practical Insights from UX Research – Contextual Inquiry Interviews – Usability Studies • 10 Design Insights from UX Research
10 Practical Insights from UX Research
Contextual Inquiry Interviews
What they are • Observing users in their environment • Listening and asking questions • Audio recording and taking notes
What they’re good for • Learning different ways people work • Understanding issues people encounter • Identifying opportunities for improvement
How we use the results • Informing the audit test plan • Providing first-person perspective on issues • Presenting issues not identified in audit
1. Wear walking shoes and be ready to go to participants http://www.photos-public-domain.com
2. Offer your elbow as a guide for blind participants http://www.wikihow.com/Walk-With-a-Blind-Person
3. Take notes and have multiple modes for recording
4. Consider the full context for opportunities for improvement http://blueoutdoor.com
What they are • Observing users working through tasks • Listening, guiding, and asking questions • Understanding the intent behind behaviors • Video recording and taking notes
What they’re good for • Learning different ways people work • Identifying accessibility barriers • Identifying elements that impede success
How we use the results • Identifying usability and accessibility issues • Providing first-person perspective on issues • Building awareness and understanding
5. Partner with advocacy and support organizations
6. Make sure participants have reliable transportation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ride_(MBTA)
7. Send documents in advance and bring a signature guide http://www.rentbyownerguide.com
8. Have a doggy bed available for service dogs http://www.dogsupplynetwork.com
9. Video recording provides the most accurate representation
The fact that [company] is doing this exercise makes me optimistic for the future. I want to thank [company] for their willingness to even explore accessibility issues. 10. People appreciate efforts to improve accessibility
10 Design Insights from UX Research
1. Consistent control locations help non-visual touchscreen users
Screenshot of train schedule
2. Complex tables are difficult to track when magnified
3. Print matters, too—printed versions should support large print
4. Critical information should not be on the right side of the screen
Screenshot of focused dialog
5. Setting focus is disorienting when using screen magnification
Screenshot of product page with overlay menu
6. Overlays can be difficult to distinguish when magnified
7. Text entry is more difficult than selecting from predefined values…
…except on an iPhone with Siri
8. Swipe gestures don’t work consistently with VoiceOver
Screenshot of page with colored panels
9. Layouts with grouped elements work well when magnified
Screenshot of CNN page with elements loading
10. Slow loading pages impact accessibility, too
Accessibility + User Experience = Accessible User Experience = A Web for Everyone
UserTesting Enterprise Accelerated learning + deep insights + your target audience email@example.com
allestimento in cartone per il Cersaie 2014 alberi in cartone scultura in cartone
Quarta turma do workshop de Infografia, ministrado por Beatriz Blanco e Marcos Sin...
Involving People with Disabilities in UX ... Ways to include people with disabilities in UX research; ... She is co-author of A Web for Everyone with ...
×Close Share A web for everyone: involving people with disabilities in UX research with Sarah Horton
1.A Web for Everyone Involving People with Disabilities in UX Research presents Tweet with other attendees: #UTWebinar Connect with UserTesting Twitter ...
... co-author of A Web for Everyone. ... By including people with disabilities in user research ... Share your insights in the 2017 UX and User Research ...
A Web for Everyone: Accessibility is a design problem ... Sarah Horton "Involving People with Disabilities in UX ... A Web for Everyone ...
Sarah Horton "Involving People with Disabilities in UX ... people with disabilities in UX research ... A Web for Everyone with ...
... people with disabilities, many accessibility requirements also improve usability for everyone. Accessibility ... disabilities use the Web, Involving ...
Learning by involving people with disabilities in ... conducting user research with people with disabilities? ... and services for everyone.