Published on October 28, 2018
1. A Carnal Mind By: Brian Birdow Romans 8
2. Objective of Lesson 1. To challenge us to guard our hearts (minds)! 2. To show how the carnal mind thinks. 3. To show an example of a carnal mind. 4. To show how opposed God is to the carnal mind
3. The heart Proverbs 4:23 • Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life (ESV) • Watch over your heart with all diligence, For from it flow the springs of life (NASB). • Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life (KJV). • Guard your heart above all else, for it is the source of life (CSB).
4. Carnal mind defined • Pertaining to or characterized by the flesh or the body, its passions and appetites; sensual: carnal pleasures. • Not spiritual; merely human; temporal; worldly: a man of secular, rather carnal, leanings.
5. Carnal mind • Romans 8:6-7 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity (hostile) against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. • 1 Corinthians 2:14 The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.
6. Carnal Mind • Ecclesiastes 2 …turn with me please…. • Note verses 7-8 • The pleasures that tempt and allure humanity are remarkably similar across 1000’s of years! In our modern secular Western society so many people desire such things as: • Material wealth, a sports personality or music celebrity lifestyle, and so often unrestrained sexual pleasure. Think about our current political state. A lot is driven by sensual pleasures!
7. Christian and Carnal? • Can a person be a Christian and still carnal? • 1 Corinthians 3 …turn with me please… • Acts 8 …turn with me please… • Galatians 2 …turn with me please…
8. Christians & carnal minds! • What is the least that I can do and not be lost? (Romans 9) • Sunday and Wednesday Bible study with the saints is not commanded from God! Those that attend are not any better off than those that don’t! (Philippians 2:25-30) • So long as I take communion on Sunday, I am fine (Acts 2:44-47) • I don’t do x, y, or z or so I am a good person. (Acts 10:38) • Selfish and inconsiderate of others labors and effort for our own souls. (2 Corinthians 11:21 & following)
9. Christians & carnal minds! • It is okay to miss worship service for recreational purposes. Just do not make it a habit. (Psalm 122:1) • Spend all my money on self and offer to God leftovers. The only sacrifice that is desired, is of others. (Malachi 1:6-14) • Does not believe that their talk or dress should be any different from the world. (James 3; Proverbs 31:25) • A mindset that thinks like this is totally opposite of God!