Published on May 30, 2016
1. SCARED OF SPIDERS? TAKE THIS PILL English File third edition Pre-intermediate • Student’s Book • Unit 9B, p.71
2. • to affect • at least • a cure • a drug • tuberculosis • to overcome • normal treatment • exposure therapy • the most commonly used • involve • gradually • to produce the fear • a dentist phobia • combined with • relaxation techniques • causes changes to • acrophobics • a glass lift • to appear • to go up and down • pill • felt much less afraid • to take a placebo
3. Complete the gaps There are many different kinds of phobias and they ____1 at least a quarter of the population. But doctors believe that they may soon have a ___2. They have discovered that a drug, which is given to patients ___3 from tuberculosis, can also help people to ___4 their phobias. The normal treatment for people with strong phobias is some kind of ____5 therapy. The most commonly used exposure therapy involves ___6 exposing people to the object or situation that produces the fear.
4. For example, if you have a dentist phobia, you might first sit in the waiting room of a dentist, then talk to the dentist, and then sit in the dentist’s chair. These exposures are ____7 with relaxation techniques. However, exposure therapy does not work for everybody, and doctors think that the new drug, which ____8 changes to a part of the brain which is used in learning and memory, could be used in the future to make this therapy more effective. Michael Davis at Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta, Georgia did a study with 30 ____9 – people who are scared of heights – and put them in a glass lift that ____10 to go up and down. The people who were given the pill felt much less afraid then those who took a ___11.
5. Answers 1. Affect 2. Cure 3. Suffering 4. Overcome 5. Exposure 6. Gradually 7. Combined 8. Causes 9. Acrophobics 10. Appeared 11. Placebo
6. Watch the video • Top 10 Phobias and Fears - What really scares people? • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNhm1F_Vrys • The Sketch Show UK - Phobias Workshop • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koNwUeG-iKE