Published on May 3, 2011
Copyright Mosio, Inc. All rights reserved. 6 Reasons to Rethink Creating a Mobile App for Your Conference, Event, Meeting or Convention (Not exactly the best way to engage attendees, is it?)
1. Only 28% of mobile users in the U.S. have smart phones. Copyright Mosio, Inc. All rights reserved. What if 72% of your attendees couldn’t access your website or marketing materials. Would creating them be an acceptable use of time and money at your organization?
2. With literally hundreds of thousands of apps in the app stores, mobile app discovery is growing more difficult daily. Copyright Mosio, Inc. All rights reserved. Even with developer confidence declining because of the fragmentation of mobile operating systems, there are about 2,000 apps submitted to the Android and iPhone app stores every day.
3. Nearly 3/4 of downloaded mobile apps are used less than 10 times and 1/4 of mobile apps are used only once. Copyright Mosio, Inc. All rights reserved. Quick Experiment: If you are a smart phone user, take a quick look at your phone. How many apps do you see on there that you were excited to download and then haven’t used again? Maybe it’s no surprise to know free apps are used less than paid ones, but worth noting.
4. To justify the cost, mobile app features for conferences tend to be way more than anyone needs or uses. Copyright Mosio, Inc. All rights reserved. Attendees using smart phones are already using many different apps to manage their travel, find local places to eat and figure out what’s causing buzz at the show via Twitter and Foursquare. Do attendees really need GPS-enabled map directions to exhibitor booths? Is there really a need to pay for development and then promote another service for them to do this on?
5. Developing mobile apps is more expensive than you think. Copyright Mosio, Inc. All rights reserved. We wrote a blog post about the expense of creating an iPhone app , so I won’t go into it here, but people tend to think developing mobile apps for 3-5 different mobile operating systems is fairly inexpensive and doesn’t take a lot of time, even on providers claiming to use pre-packaged platforms. It’s really not.
6. Notifications for alerts, announcements and changes on mobile apps are not an automatic function. Copyright Mosio, Inc. All rights reserved. How much can you ask of your attendees? After you ask them to download the app, then you have to ask them to push information or have to ask them to follow their location. When you update or change information on the app, attendees have to perform what's basically a re-download to see the new info. What else might you have to ask of them after they download your mobile app?
So what is one to do? Copyright Mosio, Inc. All rights reserved. If you love mobile apps or someone you work with insists in them, we completely understand. We love them too and everyone here is a smart phone user. But we’re realistic about the fact that most mobile users are not. If you’re interested in hearing success stories our clients have had using cost-effective and engaging text messaging applications or mobile web solutions, contact us, or check out our mobile solutions for conferences, events and meetings, we can help. www.mosio.com Use text messaging and the mobile web. Or just use text messaging. It’s available on 99% of all mobile phones and 95% of all mobile phone subscribers in the U.S. have it as part of their monthly plans.
Copyright Mosio, Inc. All rights reserved. Contact Mosio Web: www.mosio.com Email: [email_address] Phone: 877.667.4699 Text: ASKMO to 66746
Presentación que realice en el Evento Nacional de Gobierno Abierto, realizado los ...
In this presentation we will describe our experience developing with a highly dyna...
Presentation to the LITA Forum 7th November 2014 Albuquerque, NM
Un recorrido por los cambios que nos generará el wearabletech en el futuro
Um paralelo entre as novidades & mercado em Wearable Computing e Tecnologias Assis...
Apps World, Leading Mobile Application Developer Event & App Marketing Conference. ... not all reading apps can provide you with same level and quality of ...
... which not only powers Salesforce ... right within your SFA application. Multi Platform Mobile ... App Cloud has everything you need to build ...
AT&T Connect software offers solutions that enable virtual meetings from almost any device, globally.
Android provides a rich application framework that allows you to build innovative apps and games for mobile devices in a Java language environment.
Mobile; Single Page Apps; ... Events; Hall Of Fame; MSDN ... Learn About ASP.NET Single Page Application. ASP.NET Single Page Application (SPA) helps you ...
5 Ways to Optimize Your Mobile Applications with IBM Mobile ... mobile application platform that helps you ... mobile conference ...
Propellerhead creates the world’s favorite music software and mobile apps for music making, ... Reason is everything you need to create amazing music, ...
... resources and will help you build a solid application. ... Before you start writing the application, ... If writing is not your forte, ...
Create, build and grow a thriving business with our expert advice, which helps you master everything from accounting to management to finance to sales and ...