Published on September 8, 2015
1. 5 Real Estate Scams to Avoid By Norma Mirsky
2. 1. The ﬁxer-upper The scenario:! • The seller promises to knock a bit off the asking price if you sign a document to close on the place fast and forego an inspection.! • They’re trying to hide a major problem such as a faulty foundation or termite infestation. How to avoid:! • Never sign away your right for a professional inspector to look the place over.
3. 2. Foreclosure fraudster The scenario:! • You’re facing a foreclosure.! • Somebody reaches out and offers a helping hand in exchange for cash up front.! • Once they get the cash, they abscond. How to avoid:! • Turn down people like this.! • Use a free service like NeighborWorks or Operation Hope to help you.
4. 3. Long-distance landlord The scenario:! • You’ve found the perfect home online, with stunning photos and a reasonable price.! • The landlord is out of town, so they can’t show you the place, but offer it to you if you wire them money.! • You discover that there’s no home, and the “landlord” has made off with your deposit. How to avoid:! • Insist on seeing the place in-person.! • Never wire money to somebody you don’t know or trust.
5. 4. The bait & switch The scenario:! • You’ve been pre- approved for a mortgage, and are about to make an offer on the perfect home.! • The lender jacks up the rate, knowing that you’ll most likely not back out at this point. How to avoid:! • If a rate seems too good to be true, then it probably is.! • If a lender demands payment for fees before you’ve closed on a home, they’re up to something ﬁshy.
6. 5. The foreclosure fraudster (again) The scenario:! • You’re renting a home.! • The landlord stopped paying their mortgage months ago, and the home is in foreclosure.! • You’re evicted. How to avoid:! • Check with your local tax assessor or county clerk to see if the home is in good standing before you move in.! • Stay put; you can live there for the duration of the lease.! • Try striking a deal with the lender that’s taking possession of the house.
7. The End Thanks for watching!
Welcome to Norma Mirsky's Music and Education site. Norma is a luxury real estate broker and founder of Mirsky Realty Group. The group specializes in ...
Norma Mirsky, founder of Mirsky ... Norma is a luxury real estate broker and founder of Mirsky Realty Group. ... 5 Real Estate Scams to Avoid;
While buying a home can feel exciting, there are plenty of “scams” out there that can prove problematic and make your investment a lot more ...
Norma Mirsky, Real Estate: ... 5 Real Estate Scams to Avoid and ... I recently came across an article that features five different real estate scams, ...
Norma Mirsky is the President of Mirsky Realty Group a family-run, boutique real estate company. ... New Post! 5 Real Estate Scams to Avoid http:// ift.tt ...
... News, Real Estate Tagged markets Norma Mirsky, Norma Mirsky, Real Estate By normamirsky Leave a comment. ... 5 Real Estate Scams to Avoid ...
The Phony Inheritance Scam ... and you may even uncover references to such fortune or estate claims in your family ... 5 Family History Scams to Avoid
How to Avoid a Real Estate Scam Be alert for these warning signs of unscrupulous landlords, sellers and real estate agents.