Published on March 11, 2016
1. Engaging Students in Local & Global Issues: Looking at the World through a Geographic Lens
2. How do we combat boredom? IGNORANCE APATHY
3. How would the stereotypical, bored student complete this sentence?
4. SPAIN MOROCCO
5. If you are bored and cynical…
8. NH MA What’s the same? What’s different?
9. Washington DC (near Ford’s Theater)
10. Washington DC (near Ford’s Theater)
11. Kenosha, WI
12. Johnsonburg, PA
13. Both images from Cincinnati OH, 2015
14. OTR (Over-the-Rhine), Cincinnati, OH Sometimes we need more information to ask the right questions.
15. What geographic questions do you want to ask? Roger Williams Park, Providence RI, Dec. 2015
16. The Ohio River, CincinnatiPike River, Quebec, CA
17. The natural and human landscape provides countless clues to mysteries IF we are curious enough to ask. Vieux Montreal, QC
18. Caserne Central de Pompiers—Central Fire Station
19. Union Station, Washington, D.C. What is unique about this place? How is it similar to other places?
20. Worcester, MA Mexico City
21. Squam Lake, NH C. A. B. D. Which picture looks like the best vacation day for you?
22. PLACE: Location Site & Situation Site: San Francisco •1769 • In the Western Hemisphere • In the Midlatitudes • On the West Coast of North America • Mediterranean climate (but foggy!) • Peninsula and superb harbor •Today • In the Western Hemisphere • In the Midlatitudes • On the West Coast of North America • Mediterranean climate (foggy!) • Peninsula and superb harbor Situation: San Francisco •1769 • Outpost of Spain; in New Spain/Mexico; in Alta California • Primary political relationships: Monterey; Mexico City; Madrid • Primary trading relationships: New Spain, Philippines •Today • In California, USA • Primary political relationships: Sacramento; Washington DC • Primary trading relationships: Pacific Rim, Global
23. Site Situation
24. Resource Recovery Industrial Park, RI Where would you put a dump in SE Massachusetts? Site? Situation?
25. Intake Service Center, RI How should space be arranged in a prison? School?
26. Beavertail State Park, RI What geographic questions do you want to ask?
27. How can we help children be curious about the surroundings?
28. http://www.pbs.org/food/how-does-it-grow/cranberries/ Start with their backyard
29. Spatial Thinking and Reasoning
30. Jeremy Anderson
31. Railway Line
34. --if unique & therefore not repeated, then road continues in straight line Kink in the Road
35. --if unique & therefore not repeated, then road continues in straight line --if recurring & therefore repeated property of space, then road will not continue in straight line Kink in the Road
40. Types of Inferences & Levels of Expertise 1. rail line: relatively simple 2. kink in road: more challenging because multiple possibilities 3.stream system: stream order & topography; knowledge of theory of fluvial processes 4. villages: lattices; knowledge of central place theory
41. Engaging Students in Local & Global Issues: Looking at the World through a Geographic Lens
42. The truth…if you always lived in San Diego
43. What is this item called?
44. Truths can be spatially contingent • How far from the here do you live? • What time is it?
45. Truths can be scale-dependent • Where are you from? • Is overpopulation a problem in North America?
46. GEOGRAPHICAL CLASSIFICATION World Realms Regions Neighborhoods
47. Place still matters Distance and Time
48. How can competent teachers help students understand a complex interconnected world? Provide geographic information Teach geographic concepts Use data, maps, and geospatial technology Ask questions which encourage spatial thinking. Geographic Literacy
50. 4. Ask questions which encourage spatial thinking.
51. How is this a “human” landscape?
52. ee Boeing 787 assembly plant in Everett, Washington How is this representative of globalization?
53. Messages of cultural landscapes?
54. Cultural Landscape Meanings http://www.scoop.it/t/geography-education/?tag=landscape
55. Cultural Landscapes
56. A spatial perspective is not just for geographers spatial mapping map projections
57. The Global becomes Local
58. How can competent teachers help students understand a complex interconnected world? Provide geographic information Teach geographic concepts Use data, maps, and geospatial technology Ask questions which encourage spatial thinking. Geographic Literacy
59. OTR, Cincinnati
60. Pawtuxet Village, RI, July 4th
The session will instead take place on Saturday, April 30, 2016. ... School of Science and Engineering students provide microloans around the world;
Monday March 14, 2016 2:03 am (America / Chicago) 220.127.116.11 ...
Applying for 2016-2017 school year at The School of Science and Engineering Magnet ... Find out the timeline and requirements for the 2016-2017 school year!
Dallas ISD’s teacher of the year demonstrates winning formula for engaging students . 1/1. David Woo/Staff Photographer ... ©2016, The Dallas ...
This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title SEM. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly ...
Quizlet is open to all ages but requires all users to provide their real date of birth to comply with U.S. law.
Powered by the rSchoolToday Athletic Scheduler © 2013 Distributed Website Corp. and Lee's Summit © Terms of Service ...
März 2016, 17:45. Hallo in die Runde, ich habe vor einigen Tagen eine äußerlich gut erhaltene Minolta XD7 bekommen.