Published on October 15, 2014
1. Positive Behavior Support Information for Families and Community Members South Seminole Middle School 2014-2015
2. 2 Positive Behavior Support PBS: • A process for creating safer and more effective schools • Focuses on improving the entire school system • Applies to everyone within the school setting, including all students, staff, and family members
3. 3 Positive Behavior Support Focus of PBS: • To create environments that help students to achieve success • To understand why problem behaviors are occurring in order to address them effectively • To prevent problem behaviors, teach appropriate behaviors, and acknowledge the appropriate behaviors of all students, staff, and family members
4. PBS Implementation: PBS Implementation: A Multi-Tiered A Multi-System Tiered of Support System of Support Continuum of Services Wraparound Comprehensive FBA/BIP Simple FBA/BIP Small Groups Brief Mentoring Check-In/Check-Out (CICO) Classroom Consultation Florida’s State Transformation Team on RtI (Dec. 3, 2009) 7 Classroom-Level PBS Universal PBS Monitor the progress and outcomes of all Students Monitor the progress and outcomes of the System ≈ 5% ≈ 15% ≈ 80%
5. 5 Positive Behavior Support • Over 17,000 schools across the country and 1,100 in Florida are implementing PBS: • Provides the foundation for a Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS) • Can be adapted to fit any school • Coexists with most school-wide programs • Consistent with research-based principles of behavior • Intervention of choice in federal laws
6. 6 Tier 1 Expectations South Seminole’s Expectations: Strive for success Take responsibility Opt to lead Respect others Make good choices
7. Updated Discipline Data 7 08-09 09-10 10-11 11-12 12-13 13-14 Overall referrals 1200 1381 897 1035 1121 1182 OSS ISS Infractions 316 317 411 195 209 184 147 61 198 106 199 222 Total OSS Days ISS Days (missed instruction within the classroom) 1110 832 1233 245 732 459 420 172 550 151 428 285
8. What Families Can Expect from Tier 1 PBS at South Seminole Middle 8 • Opportunities to ask questions and discuss concerns related to PBS • Opportunities to provide feedback and input on Tier 1 PBS practices (e.g., Tier 1 expectations, reward system, discipline procedures) • Positively stated expectations posted around the school • Expectations and rules that are taught and encouraged • Information and updates on Tier 1 behavior data • Data-based problem-solving by the school team to inform PBS implementation • Administration (Principal, AP, Dean, SAM) participation in PBS implementation and encouragement for family and community member participation
9. 9 Families’ Role in PBS at South Seminole Middle • Share your knowledge about your child, including background and cultural information, etc. • Share your expertise as your child’s first teacher • Express your interest in your child’s education to your child and to his/her teacher • Express your interest as a citizen of the community with a vested interest in the success of the school • Share your understanding of issues facing the community and school that can help to inform problem-solving efforts
10. Community Members’ Role in PBS at South Seminole Middle • Share knowledge about community resources with school staff and family members • Provide and support the school’s access to resources • Look for opportunities to reinforce behavioral expectations and provide acknowledgements to students within community settings 10
11. What Families Can Do to Engage in PBS at South Seminole Middle • Know the school’s Tier 1 Expectations • Provide input and offer suggestions on PBS practices • Reinforce the Tier 1 expectations at home • Demonstrate the Tier 1 expectations when attending the school or 11 interacting with others from the school • Talk with your child regularly about the school’s Tier 1 expectations • Talk with your child’s teacher about PBS in the classroom • Keep informed and ask questions about PBS • Follow the school-wide expectations • Ask your child if he/she has earned any STORM Bucks and/or Positive Referrals (If not, ask them how they can earn them).
12. What Families Can Do to Engage in PBS at South Seminole Middle • Ask your child’s teacher or principal what you can do to show your support for PBS 12 • Support PBS in the community • Assist with teaching or reinforcing PBS • Help to secure funding for PBS activities • Ask your child’s Guidance Counselor for support for implementing PBS at home • If your child is struggling behaviorally: • Ask questions • Collaborate with staff through problem-solving to develop supports for your child • Support the interventions at home • Keep informed of your child’s progress with interventions
13. If You Have Questions About PBS For additional information about PBS at South Seminole or to make a donation/offer fundraising ideas, please visit the SSMS website at http://www.ssms.scps.k12.fl.us/ 13 Or Contact: PBS Coach: Shavon Pearson, email: firstname.lastname@example.org Remind 101 Updates: Subscribe to: https://www.remind101.com/join/ssmspb Donation Information: If you are writing a check, please make payable to: South Seminole Middle or SSMS, Check Note: For P.B.S.
14. 14 Learn More about PBS • http://flpbs.fmhi.usf.edu • http://flpbs.fmhi.usf.edu/resources_family.asp • www.pbis.org • http://www.pbis.org/family/default.aspx
15. 15 SSMS Mission Statement Our mission is to empower students to achieve academic excellence, embrace cultural diversity and develop leadership traits in a global society.
... family.community involvement 2012 Dec 25, 2014 ... parent pbs overview. family.community involvement ... parent pbs overview. family.community ...
Lake Brantley High School. Education for ... YEARBOOK 2014-2015; Parents. PARENTS A ... 2013 parent pbs overview. family.community involvement 2012 from ...
Parent, Family, Community Involvement in Education ... There are a number of parent-family-community-school partnerships that have documented their results:
About PBS. Overview; Mission & Values; Stations; ... In a 2014 survey, parents of children age two to six ranked PBS KIDS as the most trusted and relied ...
Overview of Family Involvement. ... View our member insights and FINE Newsletter and learn how to get the latest family involvement resources delivered to ...
... Parental Involvement and Title I, Part A, ... Using the Head Start Parent, Family, and Community Engagement Framework in Your Program: Markers of Progress;
PBS KIDS Mobile Apps; PBS Parents Ebooks; Videos. Adventures in Learning; Birthday Parties; Can I Read to You; Crafts for Kids; ... The PBS Parents Newsletter.
Family, School, and Community Partnering ... June 2014 *If you have ... State Advisory Council on Parent Involvement in Education ...