Published on March 7, 2014
Library Workshop 2014 Oceanography Honours By Linda Kelly @ UCT Libraries Academic Librarian: EGS, Archaeology & Oceanography Linda.Kelly@uct.ac.za By Linda Kelly l Academic Librarian @ UCT Libraries
ways libraries can make your academic life easier By Linda Kelly l Academic Librarian @ UCT
#1. save time #2. get better grades #3. find things that Google cant
The 3 Basics 1) 1-stop-shops & contact 2) How to search 3) Find stuff: books & articles
stop shops & contacts • Library website - http://www.lib.uct.ac.za/ – Off campus login – Ask-A-Librarian – Subject Guides
2. How to search…(a) How is info organised?
2. How to search...(b) Where to find books & articles? • Aleph – Online Catalogue : books, printed journals, etc. • ALEPH & WorldCat Local • Databases • Platforms
1 2 3 4
EXAMPLE OF A DATABASE SAGE DATABASE ON RESEARCH METHODS … a tool designed to help you create research projects and understand the methods behind them. Online Resources books, dictionaries, encyclopedias, articles, Green & Blue Books, videos (access using Off-Campus-Login via UCT Libraries website) Videos Video 1: SAGE Research Methods Overview Video 2: How to Start Your Research Video 3: Methods Map and Methods Lists (URL: http://srmo.sagepub.com/page/tips-and-tutorials/tutorials
2. How to search…(c) Avoid “speeding” fines! Plagiarism Copyright • Creative Commons license • Create your own licence • Includes images • Cannot present another person’s work as your own • Can get expelled • Bad reputation amongst peers Referencing • Online guides • Many software programmes • RefWorks, EndNote, Men deley, etc.
RefWorks - an online citation manager - see the online RefWorks Library Guide
2. How to search…(c) c) What is Boolean Searching? AND, OR, NOT See “Boolean Operators” Guide & “The WHERE & WHAT of searching” Guide in Oceanography LibGuide
3. Find stuff: books & articles...(a) You either have… a) the book & article info, i.e. title, author, journal, etc. OR b) the essay task & subject area
3. Find stuff: books & articles...(b) Examples • Book Title: Environmental Governance and Climate Change in Africa • Article Title: Brown, M. 2009. Markets, climate change, and food security in West Africa. Environmental science & technology, 43(21):8016-8020.
Recap 1 (a)
Recap 1(c) Plagiarism Copyright Referencing
Thank you Linda Kelly @ UCT Libraries Academic Librarian: EGS, Archaeology & Oceanography Linda.Kelly@uct.ac.za Email to arrange a 1-on-1 research consultation
1. Library Workshop 2014 Oceanography Honours By Linda Kelly @ UCT Libraries Academic Librarian: EGS, Archaeology & Oceanography Linda ...
Workshop AITeM 2014 Workshop AITeM 2014 Rimini lunedÃ¬ 8 e martedÃ¬ 9 Settembre 2014 Centro storico Pedonale Marina Centro Darsena Antico Borgo dei ...
1. Library Workshop EGS Honours 2014 By Linda Kelly @ UCT Libraries Academic Librarian: EGS, Archaeology & Oceanography Linda.Kelly@uct.ac ...
DYNAMIC OCEANOGRAPHY JAN ERIK WEBER Department of Geosciences Section for Meteorology and Oceanography University of Oslo 09.11.04 2 CONTENTS 1.