Published on February 20, 2014
Library Workshop EGS MPhil 2014 By Linda Kelly @ UCT Libraries Academic Librarian: EGS, Archaeology & Oceanography Linda.Kelly@uct.ac.za By Linda Kelly l Academic Librarian @ UCT Libraries
ways libraries can make your academic life easier By Linda Kelly l Academic Librarian @ UCT Libraries
#1. save time #2. get better grades #3. find things that Google cant
The 3 Basics 1) 1-stop-shops & contact 2) How to search 3) Find stuff: books & articles
stop shops & contacts • Library website - http://www.lib.uct.ac.za/ – Off campus login – Ask-A-Librarian – Subject Guides
2. How to search…(a) How is info organised?
2. How to search...(b) Where to find books & articles? • Aleph – Online Catalogue : books, printed journals, etc. • ALEPH & WorldCat Local • Databases • Platforms
1 2 3 4
EXAMPLE OF A DATABASE SAGE DATABASE ON RESEARCH METHODS … a tool designed to help you create research projects and understand the methods behind them. Online Resources books, dictionaries, encyclopedias, articles, Green & Blue Books, videos (access using Off-Campus-Login via UCT Libraries website) Videos Video 1: SAGE Research Methods Overview Video 2: How to Start Your Research Video 3: Methods Map and Methods Lists (URL: http://srmo.sagepub.com/page/tips-and-tutorials/tutorials
2. How to search…(c) Avoid “speeding” fines! Plagiarism Copyright • Creative Commons license • Create your own licence • Includes images • Cannot present another person’s work as your own • Can get expelled • Bad reputation amongst peers Referencing • Online guides • Many software programmes • RefWorks, EndNote, Mendeley, etc.
RefWorks - an online citation manager - see the online RefWorks Library Guide
2. How to search…(c) c) What is Boolean Searching? AND, OR, NOT See “Boolean Operators” Guide & “The WHERE & WHAT of searching” Guide in EGS LibGuide
3. Find stuff: books & articles...(a) You either have… a) the book & article info, i.e. title, author, journal, etc. OR b) the essay task & subject area
3. Find stuff: books & articles...(b) Examples • Book Title: Environmental Governance and Climate Change in Africa • Article Title: Brown, M. 2009. Markets, climate change, and food security in West Africa. Environmental science & technology, 43(21):8016-8020.
Recap 1 (a)
Recap 1(c) Plagiarism Copyright Referencing
Thank you Linda Kelly @ UCT Libraries Academic Librarian: EGS, Archaeology & Oceanography Linda.Kelly@uct.ac.za Email to arrange a 1-on-1 research consultation
2014 egs mphil_library workshop Nov 11, 2014 Education lindakelly. of 22 × Close Share 2014 egs mphil_library workshop.
Share 2014 egs honours_library workshop. Embed ...
This guide was created for the 2014 3rd year students. It provides an overview of library resources and services, ... 2014 egs 3rd years_library workshop;
Slides from Library Workshop for the 2014 EGS Honours class. Slides from Library Workshop for the 2014 EGS Honours ... Share 2014 egs honours_library workshop.
2014 egs 3rd years_library workshop Nov 11, 2014 Education lindakelly. of 36 ...
2014 egs honours_library workshop. Slides from Library Workshop for the 2014 EGS Honours class...
EGS 2014, European Glaucoma Society Congress is starting on 07 June, 2014 and ending on 11 June, 2014. ... Workshop; About; Event Search; Blog; Travel Guide;
ISMB Workshop 2014 This talk explores how principles derived from experimental design practice, ...