Published on March 3, 2014
Library Workshop EGS Honours 2014 By Linda Kelly @ UCT Libraries Academic Librarian: EGS, Archaeology & Oceanography Linda.Kelly@uct.ac.za By Linda Kelly l Academic Librarian @ UCT Libraries
ways libraries can make your academic life easier By Linda Kelly l Academic Librarian @ UCT
#1. save time #2. get better grades #3. find things that Google cant
The 3 Basics 1) 1-stop-shops & contact 2) How to search 3) Find stuff: books & articles
stop shops & contacts • Library website - http://www.lib.uct.ac.za/ – Off campus login – Ask-A-Librarian – Subject Guides
2. How to search…(a) How is info organised?
2. How to search...(b) Where to find books & articles? • Aleph – Online Catalogue : books, printed journals, etc. • ALEPH & WorldCat Local • Databases • Platforms
1 2 3 4
EXAMPLE OF A DATABASE SAGE DATABASE ON RESEARCH METHODS … a tool designed to help you create research projects and understand the methods behind them. Online Resources books, dictionaries, encyclopedias, articles, Green & Blue Books, videos (access using Off-Campus-Login via UCT Libraries website) Videos Video 1: SAGE Research Methods Overview Video 2: How to Start Your Research Video 3: Methods Map and Methods Lists (URL: http://srmo.sagepub.com/page/tips-and-tutorials/tutorials
2. How to search…(c) Avoid “speeding” fines! Plagiarism Copyright • Creative Commons license • Create your own licence • Includes images • Cannot present another person’s work as your own • Can get expelled • Bad reputation amongst peers Referencing • Online guides • Many software programmes • RefWorks, EndNote, Men deley, etc.
RefWorks - an online citation manager - see the online RefWorks Library Guide
2. How to search…(c) c) What is Boolean Searching? AND, OR, NOT See “Boolean Operators” Guide & “The WHERE & WHAT of searching” Guide in EGS LibGuide
3. Find stuff: books & articles...(a) You either have… a) the book & article info, i.e. title, author, journal, etc. OR b) the essay task & subject area
3. Find stuff: books & articles...(b) Examples • Book Title: Environmental Governance and Climate Change in Africa • Article Title: Brown, M. 2009. Markets, climate change, and food security in West Africa. Environmental science & technology, 43(21):8016-8020.
Recap 1 (a)
Recap 1(c) Plagiarism Copyright Referencing
Thank you Linda Kelly @ UCT Libraries Academic Librarian: EGS, Archaeology & Oceanography Linda.Kelly@uct.ac.za Email to arrange a 1-on-1 research consultation
EGS 2014, European Glaucoma Society Congress is starting on 07 June, 2014 and ending on 11 June, 2014. ... Workshop; About; Event Search; Blog; Travel Guide;
EGS Designs with Horizontal Wells, Multiple Stages, ... (2014) reviewed several recent EGS ... presented at the Thirty-Eighth Workshop on ...
EGS workshop: Living with Geological Risks . EuroGeoSurveys Workshop. 22nd Oct. 2014. Living with Geological Risks. 2 ... EuroGeoSurveys Workshop. 22nd Oct ...
june 7-11, 2014 scientific program ... egs social dinner tuesday, june 10, 2014 ... industry parallel workshops june 8, 2014
EGS Stadtmitte Eschweiler ... In einem Workshop zum Thema “Ein Turm aus Trinkhalmen” überprüften die Kinder die ... Continium April 2014 Letzte ...
2 • EuroGeoSurveys NEWS • Issue 13 • January 2014 ... A second EGS-OAGS workshop will take place in Brussels on 27th March 2014, ...
European Glaucoma Society Congress 07 ... Venue Of EGS 2014. Nice Acropolis. Address: Tunnel André Liautaud, 06000 Nice, ... Workshop; About; Event Search ...
EGS 2014 INSTRUCTIONAL COURSES (preliminary list) Angle Closure Angle closure (basic) Angle Closure (advanced) Epidemiology/Genetics/Pathogenesis
3 und 4 der EGS Meckenheim zu einem Workshop nach Bonn ins Zentrum für ... Dezember 2014 Das Kollegium der EGS wünscht allen Familien ein ...