Published on February 17, 2014
Library Workshop ACDI Masters 2014 By Linda Kelly @ UCT Libraries Academic Librarian: EGS, Archaeology & Oceanography Linda.Kelly@uct.ac.za By Linda Kelly l Academic Librarian @ UCT Libraries
ways libraries can make your academic life easier By Linda Kelly l Academic Librarian @ UCT
#1. save time #2. get better grades #3. find things that Google cant
The 3 Basics 1) 1-stop-shops & contact 2) How to search 3) Find stuff: books & articles
stop shops & contacts • Library website - http://www.lib.uct.ac.za/ – Off campus login – Ask-A-Librarian – Subject Guides
2. How to search…(a) How is info organised?
2. How to search...(b) Where to find books & articles? • Aleph – Online Catalogue : books only • ALEPH & WorldCat Local • Platforms • Databases
SAGE DATABASE ON RESEARCH METHODS SAGE Research Methods Online … a tool designed to help you create research projects and understand the methods behind them. Online Resources books, dictionaries, encyclopedias, articles, Green & Blue Books, videos (access using Off-Campus-Login via UCT Libraries website) Videos Video 1: SAGE Research Methods Overview Video 2: How to Start Your Research Video 3: Methods Map and Methods Lists (URL: http://srmo.sagepub.com/page/tips-and-tutorials/tutorials
2. How to search…(c) Avoid “speeding” fines! Plagiarism Copyright • Creative Commons license • Create your own licence • Includes images • Cannot present another person’s work as your own • Can get expelled • Bad reputation amongst peers Referencing • Online guides • Many software programmes • RefWorks, EndNote, Mendeley, etc.
2. How to search…(c) c) What is Boolean Searching? AND, OR, NOT See Boolean Operators Guide in EGS LibGuide
3. Find stuff: books & articles...(a) You either have… a) the book & article info, i.e. title, author, journal, etc. OR b) the essay task & subject area
3. Find stuff: books & articles...(b) Examples • Book Title: Environmental Governance and Climate Change in Africa • Article Title: Brown, M. 2009. Markets, climate change, and food security in West Africa. Environmental science & technology, 43(21):8016-8020.
Recap 1 (a)
Recap 1(c) Plagiarism Copyright Referencing
Thank you Linda Kelly @ UCT Libraries Academic Librarian: EGS, Archaeology & Oceanography Linda.Kelly@uct.ac.za
View 13956 Egs posts, presentations, experts, and more. Get the professional knowledge you need on LinkedIn. LinkedIn Home What is LinkedIn? Join Today
A jam session during the workshop on June 21, 2014.
ACDI Seminar: Actual and potential use ... earlier in 2014 DFID ... Based on our consultative methodology of stakeholder interviews and a workshop, ...
EGS Seminar: “The risks of ... Date: 18 September 2014. Venue: Studio 5, Environmental and Geographical Sciences Building, ... Copyright © 2016 ACDI.
Roblox Easter Egg Hunt 2014. 4,136 pages on this wiki. Edit History; Talk 1. Easter Egg Hunt 2014; Story; Lucky Lapin, collector of many rare and fabulous ...
OCIC IDW 2014 Participatory Theatre Workshop Series: Brief Description of Event: ... apathy and equality. The workshops will be interactive, ...
ACDI/VOCA, Catholic Relief Services (CRS), Lutheran World Relief (LWR), Mercy Corps, Project Concern ... gender practitioner’s workshop in 2014.
11 Aug 2014. ACDI/VOCA ... conducted a workshop on increasing women’s electoral participation in the recent Iraqi national elections. ...
John Fay; Jon Hanks; Nadine Methner ... RH paper for Marikana Commission on Mining Charter compliance July 2014. ... At our ACDI Research Chair workshop ...